what x makes the best lamping dog.???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IL TELL YOU WHAT MAKES A GOOD LAMPING DOG A GOOD LAMPSMAN IVE RUN COLLIE CROSS/ LURCHERS /SALUKI FOR THE LAST 25YRS AND FOUND ALL DO THE JOB IF GIVEN A DECENT CHANCE BUT MY PREFERENCE IS SALUKI.THE

IL TELL YOU WHAT MAKES A GOOD LAMPING DOG A GOOD LAMPSMAN

IVE RUN COLLIE CROSS/ LURCHERS /SALUKI FOR THE LAST 25YRS AND FOUND ALL DO THE JOB IF GIVEN A DECENT CHANCE BUT MY PREFERENCE IS SALUKI.THE MOTHER TO MY SALUKI WAS LAMPING AND CATCHING AT 7 MONTHS AND HASN'T STOPPED SINCE I THINK THEVE JUST GOT SO MUCH MORE STAMINA .

thats spot on :thumbs: u can make it as hard 4 ur dog or as easy 4 ur dog.ur the lamper. at the end off the day ur a team. he cant do it without u. and u cant do it with out him.i started giving my deerhound /greyhound/beddy/wippet/grey stopped slips 10 yards from hedge rows she got fed up after a while /[my folt] not the dogs foult4 not wanting to chase them ner the hedges.ever body say /[collies] dont try to brainy obviously they use the dogs brain 4 the rong thing making it think it cant catch it .atb look up [any tipe off lurcher]

Edited by look up

to me a lamping dog must have these attributes...

stamina

guts

brains

skill

speed

stength

i have recently seen dogs of collie blood, that are well established rabbit dogs only go for rabbits that in there head they think they can catch, ie, sitting out and squatters, personally this isnt my cup of tea, and if anythink there is abit to much brain there for its own good, a good lamping dog should try for every rabbit you send it out at, or anythin you choose to lamp, as there is always a chance that the quarry will panick with a good pressure on it, and jolt into feild and be caught off a hedge row! sp out of a lamping dog i would like a good drive to please and the willingness to try is always thing i look for.

atb dfk

so why have u put brains for. coes it dont sound like u think it a good thing in a lurcher :icon_eek:

noone has mentioned the weathon x.

i probably wouldnt have mentioned this cross until i seen shephounds dog run rabbits on the lamp.

at the time he wasnt fully fit but ran excellent.

scent should remember that night lol.

my salukixwhiipetxgrey does the biz also.

i think alot is down to the owner imho as iv seen collie x,s,deerhound x,s also that were very good.

regards SS

i probably wouldnt have mentioned this cross until i seen shephounds dog run rabbits on the lamp.

i think alot is down to the owner imho as iv seen collie x,s,deerhound x,s also that were very good.

regards SS

i remember it alright pal a bloody good night ,its a pity that wheaten cross didnt make the grade on foxes when i had him but shephound was glad to take him for bunnies and by god he got some big bags with him.First night i gave him to him he had 22 so just goes to show wheaten crosses arent just big quarry dogs.That small black lurcher you had that night really opened my eyes aswell ,id never seen a lurcher work that way before ,top class pal

regards SS

i remember it alright pal a bloody good night ,its a pity that wheaten cross didnt make the grade on foxes when i had him but shephound was glad to take him for bunnies and by god he got some big bags with him.First night i gave him to him he had 22 so just goes to show wheaten crosses arent just big quarry dogs.That small black lurcher you had that night really opened my eyes aswell ,id never seen a lurcher work that way before ,top class pal

was a good craic that night till i puled out the hatchet :laugh:

ol jack might not have done the biz on fox but he sure made an excellent lamping dog.

he caught some great rabbits that night.

how is he going now as iv not heard from shep in ages?

regards SS

yeah your right maye my beddy wip col grey is my first lurcher so i still have a lot to learn. at the end of last season most rabits were shy and near hedges and i kept slipping her on them and she started to get sick. think in september ill start her back on easy ones to get her going again as at the start and middle of last season i was getting 40 or 50 a week with her.

regards SS

ol jack might not have done the biz on fox but he sure made an excellent lamping dog.

he came back down my way to a lad in my estate ,hes doin well day time ,i should have really kept him myself for bunnies but we live and learn pal

regards SS

he came back down my way to a lad in my estate ,hes doin well day time ,i should have really kept him myself for bunnies but we live and learn pal

did shep get rid of him then?

and why?

ya ya should have kept him alright but ya can barely handle that big fella of yours.

i still laugh thinking about him pullin ya on the lead like a huskey on a sled :laugh:

regards SS

did shep get rid of him then?

and why?

ya ya should have kept him alright but ya can barely handle that big fella of yours.

i still laugh thinking about him pullin ya on the lead like a huskey on a sled :laugh:

he wasnt doin anythin with him pal ,that huskey is still flyin thank god had some great kills with him the season gone ,lookin for a good bitch now to get a pup from him cause hes gettin old