could not sleep, so went out into the dark with the big gun !!

Im not going to comment on range as i have been bad too if im honest & lost 1 deer in all my time. What i dont understand is the need for an axe if its in a field or was there under growth at a gate to cut??. You use knife's & saw's on deer & the gerber folding saw is a very good portable field saw if you need to use one but the pluck can be removed while leaving the ribs uncut till you get home & the pelvic area too so no axe's.

that is one of the reasons i asked how old the stag was.i have always either done both with a knife (ringed) or left the pelvis shut untill at home/hanging.i find this stops the meat drying out when hanging and getting dirty in transport.

waidmann

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good shooting, only you know how good a shot you are so non of us can criticise you. Plenty of people who are calling you for 'bad practise' would shoot a fox a 300+ if they felt confident so why not

Im not a stalker so i dont have the same attitude that most the stalking community do, however hunting ethics are somthing i do think about ALOT. What i am saying is you are all going on about the dis

Posted Images

.................But then again dogs arnt selective like us ,in season or out it matters not to a lurcher whistling.gif .

No, it doesnt matter to the lurcher if its in or out of season. Thats where the responsible owner would have come into play.

For instance, a few weeks back, i took a late evening walk out my lurcher. I was watching 4 roe deer through the bino's. There was a nice buck and 3 doe's.

Historically speaking, a person with respect of seasons, would not have slipped his dog at this time, as chances are, a doe would of been taken.

and NO, the evening in question, i didnt "accidently" slip my dog. Niether did i slip the dog on a rabbit, only to "accidently" take off after the roe.

Rabbithunter this is a DEER STALKING section, stop going on like a tit.... :no: !

Guest busterdog

Totaly agree, very naughty Rob...tongue2.gif , but in his defence he couldn't stalk into a rivet (have you seen him) he'd be more at home in Mordor than on a moor.

You must be getting old Rob if you couldn't get that beast into youre truck on youre own...it would of been like the rest of us picking up a rabbit....doh.gif

If we are going to treat all animals equal then i need a f*****g big Fen Trap for my deer and a nice snare would look good round its neck and of coarse a good stick to beat it to death as it come out of cover being chased by a plummer terrier or is it the other way round :wallbash:

.................But then again dogs arnt selective like us ,in season or out it matters not to a lurcher whistling.gif .

No, it doesnt matter to the lurcher if its in or out of season. Thats where the responsible owner would have come into play.

For instance, a few weeks back, i took a late evening walk out my lurcher. I was watching 4 roe deer through the bino's. There was a nice buck and 3 doe's.

Historically speaking, a person with respect of seasons, would not have slipped his dog at this time, as chances are, a doe would of been taken.

and NO, the evening in question, i didnt "accidently" slip my dog. Niether did i slip the dog on a rabbit, only to "accidently" take off after the roe.

Rabbithunter this is a DEER STALKING section, stop going on like a tit.... :no: !

wasnt me that brought dogs into this discussion :thumbs: