I supered mine today aswell they had already built back all the comb from crown board to tops of frames that i cleaned off last time and filled it with honey.

This being only my second season, ive been really nervous but no there great.

Trapperman, do you slide floors under your hives in the winter?

Ive got veroa floors and i put slides in over the winter to keep them warm but on reflection i was wondering if they would have been better without??

ATB D

No i leave the slide in floor out except when we had that really cold spell i put it in but upside down so there was a slight gap to allow a flow of air across the bottem and out the front.

I had 2" of polystyrene and a fleese blanket on top as insulation, with no top ventilation.

I did leave the floor in for a while after winter varroa treatment, for which i decided to use a vapourizer and not trickle the oxalic acid.

Thanks buddy, i used Apiguard myself last year for veroa treatment but left the sliding floor in.

I agree there better out because damp condition can be deadly to them, much worse than the cold (well so ive been reading).

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

Just done my second inspection of the season and they were bursting at the seems, brood now on 9 frames and a fair amount of honey in the super.

I decided it was a good time to go to double brood, so i put the new brood box full of foundation under the old brood so they can build down into it as they need more room.

Brood in all stages, and so many bees i`m buggered if i could see the queen, getting a bit worried about being able to find her when i come to do a split later on. :cry: .

Just done my second inspection of the season and they were bursting at the seems, brood now on 9 frames and a fair amount of honey in the super.

I decided it was a good time to go to double brood, so i put the new brood box full of foundation under the old brood so they can build down into it as they need more room.

Brood in all stages, and so many bees i`m buggered if i could see the queen, getting a bit worried about being able to find her when i come to do a split later on. :cry: .

Im thinking of going for two broods per hive myself up until about May.

OUCH!!! Straight in the eyebrow, both eyes gone up like balloons, piriton for me and a wee reminder that i am not God :icon_eek: .

Have to say of the many stings ive had none of them compared to this one, felt like i had my head in a vice.

(reminder to myself, MUST ware vail) :icon_eek::blink::doh:

All forgiven, after all there working so hard.

All the best lads

D

(reminder to myself, MUST ware vail)

Dont try and be brave, all too easy to forget last years fatalities and just crack on, but every year someone gets nailed. Remember the fella last year that popped the lid, the whole lot poured straight onto to his chest in stinging mode, he collapsed on the spot and died.

I always think WASP :laugh: before going near mine!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good call i say. It was my own damn fault i was working in my fruit cage after an inspection, i ignored several warnings Derrr!! :thumbs:

Funny thing is ive been thinking of that guy who died last year myself, so easy done if you get complaicent.

I can hand on my heart say that every sting ive had so far (and theres been a few) all could have been avoided.

But glad to say im slowly learning a valuable lesson.

ATB D

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far im having a blinding season with the Bee's, really grafting they are.

Ive placed hive swarm traps (thornes) on four of my hives and have four back up hives at the ready. Really interested in this method as it seems a lot more natural for the hive IMO.

Hows you all getting on so far folks??

Yours in sport D

I had my first little beekeeping hicup you could say :icon_redface:.

I came back from the beekeeping show and went through the bees (it had been about 10 days since my last inspection) i thought they had plenty of room because at the last inspection i added a second brood box and a second super, but no i found about 10-12 queen cells some of which were sealed i couldnt find the queen so i decided to split them and made up 2 nucs with queen cells.

Checked them on friday and found old queen in one of the nucs :doh: ,anyway the old hive had 3 nice fat new queen cells so i divided the 2 broods with a queen cell in each.

So i have gone from one very strong colony to 4 smaller ones, but its still early and i wanted to expand this year anyway :whistling: still time for them to build up and get some honey in the summer flow, i hope.

You live and learn, but i do need to be more alert next year if they build up this quick again so i can catch the queen and A S them.

Mine are going full chat at the moment, had to do a artificial swarm on one very strong colony yesterday, 4 or 5 open q cells, so i swarmed them and reduced the cells on the old box to two.

Ive got a spare stand and box with a bunch of supers stood in the garden, today i had 100 + bees in and out all day, not my bees! These are far too calm and bright looking to be mine :laugh:

Perhaps scouts looking...... :hmm: