• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

Well the suns splitting the trees here so im going in, wish me luck :boogie:

How did they look BULLDOUG.

Just noticed this, sorry i decided to hold back a little while longer, im bursting to get in there though LOL. (MY MENTOR ADVISED AGAINST)

But on outside inspection, everything is looking rosy, there pulling some fine pollen in, theyve drunk all the puddles in a mile radius. (filled all my water feeders up again now.

well i finaly got round to doing my first inspection, my bee thermometer said 21c in the full sun.

I am well pleased they have come through the winter fantasticly, there is brood on 7 frames in all stages from eggs to capped there are 4 frames of stores some around the brood also and loads of pollen aswell :boogie: .

I took a couple of pics.

bees025.jpg

bees026.jpg

Just taken the crown board off, there was some brace comb but not to much, i just scraped this off with the hive tool before putting back together.

bees028.jpg

bees027.jpg

And some brood frames, i didnt see the queen but didnt want to take to long and the eggs shows shes around, there was a little drone brood but not much so shes still doing well.

bees030.jpg

bees029.jpg

All in all i am chuffed and cant wait to do my first split.

Managed to get into my hives properly today and so happy with the results.

Clean hives full of brood, spotted the queens in all four hives and put a white mark on them for easy spotting later.

Theyve all got plenty of food and ive put supers on all, early i know but i think they were needed.

Get some pics up in the morn.

ATB D

I supered mine today aswell they had already built back all the comb from crown board to tops of frames that i cleaned off last time and filled it with honey.

This being only my second season, ive been really nervous but no there great.

Trapperman, do you slide floors under your hives in the winter?

Ive got veroa floors and i put slides in over the winter to keep them warm but on reflection i was wondering if they would have been better without??

ATB D

I supered mine today aswell they had already built back all the comb from crown board to tops of frames that i cleaned off last time and filled it with honey.

This being only my second season, ive been really nervous but no there great.

Trapperman, do you slide floors under your hives in the winter?

Ive got veroa floors and i put slides in over the winter to keep them warm but on reflection i was wondering if they would have been better without??

ATB D

No i leave the slide in floor out except when we had that really cold spell i put it in but upside down so there was a slight gap to allow a flow of air across the bottem and out the front.

I had 2" of polystyrene and a fleese blanket on top as insulation, with no top ventilation.

I did leave the floor in for a while after winter varroa treatment, for which i decided to use a vapourizer and not trickle the oxalic acid.

Got in to mine this week they seem to be doing ok lots of brood and they are clearing the super I left on

Took all of the frames out from the hive that never made it and found 2 frames covered in mould and the outer frames full of clean stores so to be on the safe side I burnt all of the frames and torched the brood box crown board roof and floor so just hoping for a passing swarm!!