I lost 3 hives to woopeckers but all the rest look to be doing ok. I did combine 3 weaker nucs to some weaker hives a wise move I think ( maybe the first one I've ever had ) Just cleaned up about 100 supers and frames ready to go just a few spare hives to clean and the woodpecker damage to sort. I must admit I'm not usually this well prepared for the season feels like I'm missing someting out I'm normally running around like mad to get sorted.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

The woodpeckers are a nightmare in some places arnt they, i think i will unite weaker hives together next season myself (lesson learnt from last)

I will be a happier person when its warm enough to check my royal ladies are alive and well.

I over wintered 2 nationals 1 didn't make it despite feeding fondant the other had a full super of rape honey that had set they seem to be ok I haven't started my regular inspections yet as Im waiting for the temp to rise a bit more

I have registered with the local council so I might be able to pick up a swarm or two later in the year as prices for Nucs and full colonies seem to be on the up this year

I over wintered 2 nationals 1 didn't make it despite feeding fondant the other had a full super of rape honey that had set they seem to be ok I haven't started my regular inspections yet as Im waiting for the temp to rise a bit more

I have registered with the local council so I might be able to pick up a swarm or two later in the year as prices for Nucs and full colonies seem to be on the up this year

Why not register on my site? There is a list of bee swarm collectors on there, google "bee swarm collectors uk" :thumbs:

Green woodpeckers will only attak hives if they were taught to by thier parents which is why some places don't have trouble at all and others like me suffer them all the time :wallbash:

Nice and warm today so I spent the morning checking on them, in most of them the queens are alreay laying and one hive has 3 frames with young brood and sealed brood on both sides I think its going to be good hive to breed from this season.

sat and watched the girls today for a bit they were very active at 11 oclock.

they seem to have come through the winter o.k but yet to do first inspection to check on her maj.

i have only the one hive with bees but want to split them to get a couple more this year i have 1 new hive empty and will get a couple more ready soon i also now have 3 empty top bar hives waiting for if i get some swarm calls, i`m not to worried about honey this being only my second year i just want to get more hives going strong before next winter.

Bought myself a new hd camcorder so i thought i would try a bit of test footage on youtube!

I know the entrance hole is too small before anyone says anything :laugh:

Thats brill that mate, looks like there getting some nice pollen from somwhere

That looks like its going to be a good hive mate and I wouldn't worry too much about the size of that entrance as it still gets quite cold at times, all my hives only have an entrance about 1 3/4 inches and I prob won't open them up untill the end of march.

I find with alot of hives in one place opening them up too soon leaves the weaker colonys open to robbing from the stronger ones.

ATB Ashley

Edited by ashleybee