your right about the weather i held off with the feeding as long as i dared to get enough bees for winter i will feed now till about middle of october, all this brood should be hatched by then and they can fill up the cells with stores as they come out.

mine are going mad for the ivy at the moment, its the busyiest i`ve seen them all year.

bees a couple of weeks ago

bees001-2.jpg

the yellow streaks.

bees042.jpg

• 4 months later...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

found this a very intresting topic,ive really never thought of bee keeping ,but go through loads of honey ,i have had a small piece of land for many years its very near acres of gorse etc and orchards .im going to look into it more deeply and see if its a viable option for me any usefull websites or links anyone

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt realise there was soo many bee keepers on here. I've been keeping them for a few years now and also help on a bee farm, keeps me busy out side the shooting season and earns a nice bit of pocket money.

how much would a set up bee,,sorry about that,,all in all how much dose it cost for one hive? anyone help please?

I didnt realise there was soo many bee keepers on here. I've been keeping them for a few years now and also help on a bee farm, keeps me busy out side the shooting season and earns a nice bit of pocket money.

how much would a set up bee,,sorry about that,,all in all how much dose it cost for one hive? anyone help please?

3yrs ago I joined a Beekeepers Association club. I took a beginers course which was spot on, very informative, everything to know about bees, their problems, and how to handle bees etc... Took a few tests, and after two years I received a certificate. All the equipment was supplied by the club to buy. I watched a local in the village tend to his bees for for many years prior to keeping my own colonies, and learnt a hell of a lot from him.

Classes normally start early spring, I know this year there are waiting lists for people to join.

We need to protect our bees!

Oh and if you do eventually get some colonies, my advise would be to keep it quiet :thumbs:

Good Luck.

:victory:

It all depends on what hive you want if you want a new one or second hand and also where you get your bees from

I would suggest for a beginer you geta new hive as there is less chance of a wax moth infestation of any othe problems such as deasises, for the bees I would buy a nuc (Neucleus) which usually has about 5 or 6 frames of bees.

A cheap hive from thornes is quite cheap the also do a whole beginers set up for about £160 which includes your bee suite and other things.

Expect to pay about £120 to £160 for a Nuc of bees.

Please note you will always need a spare hive ready for the summer months incase you need to do swarm control or your bees swarm and you want to keep them.

There is an alternative to buying a nuc if money is tight!

You can get a swarm from someone who collects such things. Depending on the size of the swarm, (primary or cast) it could take a bit longer for them to build up, so dont expect any honey in the first year.

I personaly think that for beginers a medium cast swarm is ideal to start off with, as there are less bees to become overwhelmed with. Its a nice introduction and you grow your experience as the colony grows. :thumbs:

That is of course if they are nice bees a not something resemebling a scene from a Steven King novel! :laugh:

There is an alternative to buying a nuc if money is tight!

You can get a swarm from someone who collects such things. Depending on the size of the swarm, (primary or cast) it could take a bit longer for them to build up, so dont expect any honey in the first year.

I personaly think that for beginers a medium cast swarm is ideal to start off with, as there are less bees to become overwhelmed with. Its a nice introduction and you grow your experience as the colony grows. :thumbs:

That is of course if they are nice bees a not something resemebling a scene from a Steven King novel! :laugh:

All very well but for a beginer a nuc is ideal as the queen will already be laying and have brood of all ages and stright away your up and running, not guarenteed but certainly better chances than with a swarm. JMHO Ashley

bump

Thanks for bumping TB25, i forgot about this thread, so hows everyone getting on? I lost one hive out of 5 but expected to as it was very weak and didnt have time to feed before hand, lesson learnt.

4 hives look very good, exciting times ahead methinks.

So far i have 4 Nationals 6 supers which im about to add another 6, i have to Nuc boxes ready and im hoping to buy a couple more hives.

Whats ya plans lads n lasses?

P.S Would admin allow us our own section on the forum for our beekin??

All mine are looking good, just been knocking up some more super boxes today, ready for the harvest :laugh:

Hopefully will have some video to pop up soon enough :thumbs:

Glad to here it, look forward to the vids mate, i was hoping to put a blog together, just need some time.

Happy honey flow buddy