• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

If your relying on that method you may have a long wait, bait hives are ok if you are already up and running, but i personaly wouldnt rely on them to produce anything!!!

You could get in touch with your local bee association, or buy a nucleus swarm to get you started off.

Failing both, get some adverts out locally for free swarm collection. :thumbs:

I just thought i would try this whilst waiting to get a swarm call, never know i might get lucky.

i did look at buying a nuceus but looks like i missed the bus for this year and the ones i`ve seen have sold out also they seem expensive at around £150 worth it i`m sure but i`m just worried if i lose them because i do something wrong its wasted, but if i`m not lucky enough to get a swarm this summer then i will order some early ready for next year. :thumbs:

Well it came today and i have started putting it togather, i have done the base the brood box the roof and 4 frames, its quite easy as its very well made and everything fits perfectly.

cameraapril2010218.jpg

cameraapril2010219.jpg

cameraapril2010220.jpg

cameraapril2010221.jpg

i`m really enjoying doing this and am looking forward to finishing it.

Well it came today and i have started putting it togather, i have done the base the brood box the roof and 4 frames, its quite easy as its very well made and everything fits perfectly.

cameraapril2010218.jpg

cameraapril2010219.jpg

cameraapril2010220.jpg

cameraapril2010221.jpg

This looks good.

Did you get it flat pack?

If you did,how much did it cost.

Im interested in bee keeping myself,hopefully its not too expensive.

cameraapril2010218.jpg

cameraapril2010219.jpg

cameraapril2010220.jpg

cameraapril2010221.jpg

This looks good.

Did you get it flat pack?

If you did,how much did it cost.

Im interested in bee keeping myself,hopefully its not too expensive.

Yes mate it came flat pack but you can pay them to assemble it for you but its not cheap.

my total order was £285 that was the red ceder national hive, clear wood treatment, hive tool, smoker and fuel, feeder and some lure to try and attract a swarm.

I did go for the gable roof as i like the look of this more than the flat type and a glass crown board to view through both were a little more £s than the standard.

When i opened the box i nearly shit a brick when i saw all the bits but its very well made and goes together very well.

it was brought from paynes bee farm online :thumbs:

Looks good trapperman, i think the precut hives made from cedar are really good and will last ages due to the nature of the wood.

Worth popping some sort of preservitive on the outside though, most beeks seem to go for cuprinol clear! Apparently that has no insectisides in it.

personaly i go for the camouflage approach! You are well aware of the cost of these items, add a nice amount of bees to the mix...

Thefts of hives is on the rise too, so be careful.

Just one thing though, your queen excluder? Why the gaping hole in the middle as a handhold? Do you have some plastic insert (valve) that fits in there?

I will try and put it somewhere out of sight, i was a little concerned about theft.

The hole is in the crown board there is a plastic "bee escape" i think its called that fits in it which can be taken out when a feeder is above it to let the bees through, i went for a glass crown board i thought it may help when just doing a quick visual check of the bees.

the queen excluder is slotted steel.

Looks good trapperman, i think the precut hives made from cedar are really good and will last ages due to the nature of the wood.

Worth popping some sort of preservitive on the outside though, most beeks seem to go for cuprinol clear! Apparently that has no insectisides in it.

personaly i go for the camouflage approach! You are well aware of the cost of these items, add a nice amount of bees to the mix...

Thefts of hives is on the rise too, so be careful.

Just one thing though, your queen excluder? Why the gaping hole in the middle as a handhold? Do you have some plastic insert (valve) that fits in there?

I will try and put it somewhere out of sight, i was a little concerned about theft.

The hole is in the crown board there is a plastic "bee escape" i think its called that fits in it which can be taken out when a feeder is above it to let the bees through, i went for a glass crown board i thought it may help when just doing a quick visual check of the bees.

Best of luck with your new adventure Trapperman keep us informed as you go along, recording the ups and the not so ups, as I think it will make a good read and invaluble for anyone else wanting to have a go :thumbs::thumbs:

Best of luck with your new adventure Trapperman keep us informed as you go along, recording the ups and the not so ups, as I think it will make a good read and invaluble for anyone else wanting to have a go :thumbs::thumbs:

+1 !

I see, yea the bee escape is called a porter bee escape. It’s sort of a one way valve, lets the buggers back down under the crownboard, but they can’t get back up, apparently!

If you don’t have a super on top of your brood box, which won’t be necessary straight away, you won’t need to have the queen excluder on.

The reason for the excluder is to stop the queen from going into the super and laying eggs in there too! She needs to stay down the bottom, as your honey will be in the super.

I haven’t seen a glass crownboard before, that’s why I thought it was part of the excluder.

maybe they are a new thing? they also do a perspex one which would be lighter and stronger but they had sold out of these so i went for the glass, i just thought if i wanted to have a quick look without bothering the bees to much it it would be a good idea.

Well i decided to order some bees i found a place not to far from me that was still taking orders for nucleuses so have sent off my deposit should be ready for collection around end of may, cant wait.

i will take some pics when i get them :thumbs:

I will pm you some usefull links and information but will have to get them from another pc first,

I will be in touch :thumbs:

Is there any chance of you PM'ing me those links as I want to start up bee keeping one day soon.

Thanks,

JoeD