Weve all experianced wounds to the dogs wich need a little xtra attension. i'm asking all of the products you can apply to a wound but can be purchesed from a local pharmacy, how do you apply them and what benifts are achived by this thank you

I swear by a quick spray of Savlon Dry Antiseptic Skin Healing Powder before the wound starts scabbing up.

It contains iodine and is easy to apply - it dries very quickly so the dog can't lick it off.

I use warm salty water.Depending on the wound,I wash it or flush it with warm salty water.I pat it dry and then apply sudo creme. Ive tested sudocreme on birds,lizzards,snakes, horses,rodents and dogs over the years. I think its brilliant. Wash 3 times a day and apply sudocreme 3 times a day for 3 days. If the dog can reach the wound I let the dog do a bit of looking after the wound.I will keep an eye on it.If I need to wash and apply cream I do. I like the wound to start to dry out as soon as it can.

Wash it out with salty water, for puncture wounds u can with it in a squirty bottle n flush it out any dirt, then apply Multiderm, its paste like oitment, i find it quite good.. Ya can buy it from most pharmacies, mainly used on horses for cuts..

I give the cut a good clean with salty water or Savlon antiseptic liquid or similar and then apply Savlon antiseptic spray. I repeat the process regularly to make sure it stays clean. It's worked really well for my dogs on cuts and a ripped off toe nail.

If it becomes infected then I get them straight down the vets.

Edited by hogdog

I use hydrogen peroxide on any cut as soon as possible. You can get it from a decent chemist and its only about a quid a bottle. It burns any dirt/infection out and cleans the wound brilliantly. I say burns but iv never noticed a dog show signs of it hurting at all so its just the dirt and infection its bad for! Lol! ONLY use it the once though cos if you use it after the wound has started to heal it will just open it all up again.

Once this has settled for a minute or so i dab on some sudocrem. If its a bad wound i would then use a vetinary skin stapler, just leaving the bottom few millimetres open to allow any infection to drain. Then some more sudocrem over the closed up wound.

If your worried about it opening up again you can wrap a bandage round for a few days but its best to let it breath really. Iv had all sorts of problems with bandages, from them attracting every twig for miles around to the terriers deciding to have a tug o war with um but they do have their place in the injured working dog tool kit.

Salt water is great. I also use hydrochloride peroxide. Betadine, and also that pink hand wash you get in hospitals, although ive ran out of that. Salt water and betadine mixed is a god mix imo, dont add the betadine when the water is too hot as it can clot a bit.

Heard good things about that hydrochloride peroxide but never used it.. Is it the 10% that ye use? And whats the mix with water balance? 50/50? Whats the best way to apply it? Can u squirt it in wit a syringe or dab it with a sponge?

.... Pa

Heard good things about that hydrochloride peroxide but never used it.. Is it the 10% that ye use? And whats the mix with water balance? 50/50? Whats the best way to apply it? Can u squirt it in wit a syringe or dab it with a sponge?

.... Pa

I use the 9% and i dont dilute it at all mate. You can use a syringe or just tip it over the cut, depends what type of cut it is.

Clean water to wash out debris from open wounds is probably best though I must admitt to still putting a little salt in it. The idea is to wash out anything that might harbour bacteria without damaging the wound surface as this might slow regeneration.