using an owl decoy

theres a few posts running in pigeon watch at the moment, with a video clip of a guy using a stuffed owl with great success on the crows, quite a few people, inc myself have comented on having a large plastic owl decoy, and wether it would work with the same success, theres mixed replies, both good and bad success,

which then set my brain in gear, on how to try and make a plastic deek, BETTER

after watching the video clip that evil elvis put up, it got my brain gears turning, seems a few people have tried the plastic owl decoy to attract crows or magpies, with little or no success, I felt a bit like a fly fisherman, who spends time making a fly to get that fish he's after, one of my permissions, a sheep/goat farm has large numbers of magpies, but they wont play ball when Im there, I'm hoping this new idea will do the trick and lure them over to me and the hushpower 410

the u tube clip showed a stuffed owl, with a dead crow in its grasp, so that got me thinking, this was the way to go, I had already adapted some american dove decoys I had to look like magpies, and I had one dove left that had those stupid spinning wings, that never seemed to work properly,

I also had a pair of pigeon wings, that I'd cut off months ago and dried out on the shed roof

so out came the cans of black and white spray, I fixed the wings to the body loosley, so they would flap in the wind, using avi-strand, which is simular to fishing line, and attached a clip to the underside of body/tail

Image0107.jpg

I then fixed an eye into the base of the owl, I'd already fixed a metal tube inside the owl, along with 7x 1mtr poles that slot together, I'll be able to position it high enough in a tree, leaving the pole in place to secure it, either pushing the base pole into the ground, or strapping to the trunk

Image0105.jpg

spraying any shinney metal bits black, the magpie then clips onto the owl's feet, and can still turn, flap wings in the breeze, or thats the theory anyway

Image0108.jpg

Image0111.jpg

our garden normally has magpies everywhere, but wanting to test out, theres none about, if they dont return I'll have to wait till friday morning, and take it over the farm for a test run, hopefully more pictures/results to follow

i have used the decoy owl a few times without success and was told by an "old boy" to use spray glue to fix the feathers of a hen pheasant to the owl BINGO!!!!

i had a fair few crows with the decoy owl after that(it had flapping wings too!!!!!).

the do get smart to it though, its a good tool for a few times then move well away and start again :thumbs:

stuffed foxes are meant to be good too.

waidmann

had thought about sticking pheasant feathers on, I fixed it on top of our pergoda, and it certainly got the maggies interested, they would'ent come too near, but that was probably due to kids next door making a racket, but still close enough that they could off easily been shot

if anyones got a bunch of feathers they want to send me, please do so :D

theres a few posts running in pigeon watch at the moment, with a video clip of a guy using a stuffed owl with great success on the crows, quite a few people, inc myself have comented on having a large plastic owl decoy, and wether it would work with the same success, theres mixed replies, both good and bad success,

after watching the video clip that evil elvis put up, it got my brain gears turning, seems a few people have tried the plastic owl decoy to attract crows or magpies, with little or no success, I felt a bit like a fly fisherman, who spends time making a fly to get that fish he's after, one of my permissions, a sheep/goat farm has large numbers of magpies, but they wont play ball when Im there, I'm hoping this new idea will do the trick and lure them over to me and the hushpower 410

the u tube clip showed a stuffed owl, with a dead crow in its grasp, so that got me thinking, this was the way to go, I had already adapted some american dove decoys I had to look like magpies, and I had one dove left that had those stupid spinning wings, that never seemed to work properly,

I also had a pair of pigeon wings, that I'd cut off months ago and dried out on the shed roof

so out came the cans of black and white spray, I fixed the wings to the body loosley, so they would flap in the wind, using avi-strand, which is simular to fishing line, and attached a clip to the underside of body/tail

Image0107.jpg

I then fixed an eye into the base of the owl, I'd already fixed a metal tube inside the owl, along with 7x 1mtr poles that slot together, I'll be able to position it high enough in a tree, leaving the pole in place to secure it, either pushing the base pole into the ground, or strapping to the trunk

Image0105.jpg

spraying any shinney metal bits black, the magpie then clips onto the owl's feet, and can still turn, flap wings in the breeze, or thats the theory anyway

Image0108.jpg

Image0111.jpg

our garden normally has magpies everywhere, but wanting to test out, theres none about, if they dont return I'll have to wait till friday morning, and take it over the farm for a test run, hopefully more pictures/results to follow

Interesting stuff Steve, and your deke looks realistic.

Have you tried baiting for maggies? A rabbit carcase ,suitably opened up will often attract the little sods, a road kill would fit the bill. Of course using a 4.10 does severely limit your range ,and ,as we know ,all the crow family have tremendous eyesight, you need to be suitably cammoed up for the job, I once shot eleven maggies in one morning ,shooting out of an old war time pill box.A little later on, you should have more success, as the young branchers start to appear ,they are not as wary as their older brethren.

Edited by inan

this particular permission has never given anyone but me shooting rights, they have noise issues, so started with only air rifle permission, then after 3yrs he ok'd the hushpower, Ive tried the dead rabbit and also a magpie rotary, and got the grand total of 1 come down to investigate, :icon_redface: but I was well hidden

as no one else shoots the area, Ive counted 30 plus maggies, its now got me on a mission to lure the buggers down, or with the help of the owl, at least to a tree top

had thought about sticking pheasant feathers on, I fixed it on top of our pergoda, and it certainly got the maggies interested, they would'ent come too near, but that was probably due to kids next door making a racket, but still close enough that they could off easily been shot

what feathers are you after mate? picked up a road kill hen bird yeaterday, its only gonna go in with the ferrets anyway and im sure they would not mind it oven ready.

what feathers are you after mate? picked up a road kill hen bird yeaterday, its only gonna go in with the ferrets anyway and im sure they would not mind it oven ready.

thats just what Im after, get plucking :D

update;

went out this morning, not as good as I had hoped, although the lofting poles I had made worked great, 7 x 1mtr pergoda poles worked well, took me a few attempts to find a tree/location that worked ok, but once sorted, it looked good, slight breeze kept the dead magpie decoy moving, but no maggies/crows were being drawn in, had a woodie come to investigate, worst luck for him as he fell to the 410, one maggie did come down :icon_redface: just as I had put the gun down, to take a sip of juice :wallbash:

anyway, hopefully with some feathers stuck on, it may look more realistic, Im not going to give up, I'll keep ya all posted

Image0114.jpg

Image0117.jpg

bottom of pole, fixed with large piece velcro, does the job

Image0107.jpg

Image0105.jpg

Image0108.jpg

Image0111.jpg

Well:

Off the wall, I have a 'Foxpro FX3' remote control Gamecall I bought in America about three years ago, and I use it for Foxes with my rifles, but it has Crow calls loaded.

I have tried them for a laugh a few times and Whoo! the local Crows go mental and mob the 'noise' with a vengance.

I have never tried to shoot Crows over this with my shotguns, and I think it's actually illegal in the UK to do so (Advice wise ones??)

Anyway I've flashed this call up in America (Tennessee), Southern Ireland, and here in the South West (Devon/Cornwall) and Oh Dear! It's just crazy, If it's legal

the possibilities are endless.

What shall I do??

AndyF

• Like 1