the gamekeepers dog

well after all this time, mine is almost ready to have some pups. give her a few more months, she's 18 months now... still a young dog, but she's beginning to mature now.

crap pic but meh

36247_10150113445380795_515910794_8044993_6311273_n.jpg

also got a new one the other day, a wee brindle chap. here he is at 10 weeks old...

162764_10150115567080795_515910794_8079764_4026498_n.jpg

he's 13 weeks now and over 16 inch tall and 13kgs. will be enormous compared to my bitch once he's grown

the chap in scotland, did you find anything up your way?

She's looking well, How's her training coming on?

Did you get her doing anything in the end? you seemed keen enough to get her out working a bit and/or maybe get some training into her? Had high hopes I wouldn't be the only one trying to work them anymore lol!

Why the rush to breed her if you don't mind me asking? she's still a pup by Mastiff standards and probably hasn't even had her 2nd season yet has she?

I guess it's money as she's a KC registared Bitch? their worth a pretty penny I'm sure! go careful who you sell the pups too though, they get a bad enough press without more inexperienced owners getting their grubby's on them! lol

Your pup looks a lovely colour and as you said looks like he's going to be a big lad!

Mines slowing down a bit now, she's still up for a decent day out but is looking a bit stiff the morning after and strangely seems to be getting picky on her retrieving now :( just potters over, has a sniff and either retrieves it, ignores it or eats it. lol It seems to be mainly pigeons she won't touch now, still hates corvids with a vengance so will retrieve them to hand then wait until you give it back or put it by your feet, then rip them to shreds and eat their heads/necks. lol

All the best with yours and good luck with the pup!

spot on mate, a lot of them have lost the gameness, there was a lot of people outraged some years ago when more women got involved in breeding them because the fearsome dog would inevitably be softened. however, i find that all bull breeds are "soft" at heart, but all are the same in that if you would be foolish enough to cross them or their master and you will not be suffered gladly. that said, if a dog with the capability to cause that much damage was game bred to this day, pitbulls would now be thought weak and the bullmastiff probably long ago outlawed.

as i say inevitably, some will probably be too soft these days to perform the job they were bred for. though a good few still breed for the stable but aloof temperament they originally had (my family has kept them since i was a young child and all ours have been this way. including the one i have now. pleasant and loving, but with an air of serious authority). they are also very trainable to any number of tasks in spite of their stubborn nature, to which yours is testament if she's being worked that way. she is in beautiful shape in your signature pic have you got any more pics? what lines is she from?

as for the overweight show dogs, yes a lot are, and some people even say that its how the breed should be! i cant see myself how a fat dog can chase down and apprehend somebody and possibly even their dog! mine is lean, but still well covered. but then she is just a pup, once she's done growing, she'll be excercised more heavily to get the kind of conditioning you have on yours.

cheers

bull mastiffs were never game bred,the closest to a game bred mastiff is the Tosa,which in turn gets regularly smashed by APBT's who are significantly less than half their size :thumbs:

spot on mate, a lot of them have lost the gameness, there was a lot of people outraged some years ago when more women got involved in breeding them because the fearsome dog would inevitably be softened. however, i find that all bull breeds are "soft" at heart, but all are the same in that if you would be foolish enough to cross them or their master and you will not be suffered gladly. that said, if a dog with the capability to cause that much damage was game bred to this day, pitbulls would now be thought weak and the bullmastiff probably long ago outlawed.

as i say inevitably, some will probably be too soft these days to perform the job they were bred for. though a good few still breed for the stable but aloof temperament they originally had (my family has kept them since i was a young child and all ours have been this way. including the one i have now. pleasant and loving, but with an air of serious authority). they are also very trainable to any number of tasks in spite of their stubborn nature, to which yours is testament if she's being worked that way. she is in beautiful shape in your signature pic have you got any more pics? what lines is she from?

as for the overweight show dogs, yes a lot are, and some people even say that its how the breed should be! i cant see myself how a fat dog can chase down and apprehend somebody and possibly even their dog! mine is lean, but still well covered. but then she is just a pup, once she's done growing, she'll be excercised more heavily to get the kind of conditioning you have on yours.

cheers

bull mastiffs were never game bred,the closest to a game bred mastiff is the Tosa,which in turn gets regularly smashed by APBT's who are significantly less than half their size :thumbs:

only one that stands out to me is the tito vs tano match, 90% of the time the tosa will beat the apbt due to weight advantage same goes for apbt vs co,kangal,presa,boerboel etc.

however been told about a boxer in easten europe thats smashing everything at the moment believe it or not. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

nah she's not worked. but her training is going well, she's probably the best behaved dog ive ever had aside my old sheepdogs when i was farming. but i dont shoot or know many folk who do, so ive had no opportunity really. not the easiest circles to get into from my experience.

she's still a show pony and doing well, being placed at every show we've been to.

im not in a rush to breed her, she'll be just shy of 2 when she's mated. and believe it or not it'll be her 4th season. i want a pup to keep for my next generation. she's going to a nice big brindle male from old skool lines so i am hoping for something special to keep thats not like the fat show pigs around atm.

as you say, theres plenty of people who shouldnt have one, so new homes will be vetted properly even if it means people walk away and go elsewhere. not likely they'll find working homes like yours though as most feel, quite rightly, that the kc have ruined them. would be nice though to see them working in the countryside where they are meant to be!

as for the others, i have no interest in dog fighting, its not big and its not clever. so what will "have" or "smash" what is of zero interest.