The Deer Thread..........

Hi all,

Not be very up on general Deer behaviour, I thought it may be a good idea to start a Deer behaviour thread.

I will start with:

Walking in a local country park today that is rumoured to have deer, I found a crab apple tree with a lot of windfall underneath, on looking closely I found what appeared to be a small print (not very distinct) that I would assume to be Muntjac.......will they frequent spots like this or is it herbage only?

All and any experience of all species and there habits would be good to read, so get posting people.

We may all learn something :yes:

JOEB

25 views and nobody has ever observed nowt :blink: ........well I will add another, I have seen a lot of Roe in and around cover crop planted on farms and estates (Maize i think?).........is this prefered type cover or is there something they like better?

Not looking for anything to do with hunting, just habits & behaviour.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I will have to part up with some sovs and buy some books then..........trouble with books is, you have to buy a lot to sort out whos talking out there arse and who aint :11: :11:

JOEB

This time of year is a good time to spot those little Montjac in my neck of the woods you see a lot of them out on the sugar beet fields in the evenings feeding they do tend (like most deer) to hang near cover i've seen them in maize and theres a piece of set-a-side i know thats planted with Christmas trees the dogs are allways flushing them out of there, i think most deer will strip bark not just Muntjac, deer are also very much a creature of habit theres a field not far from a building site i work on an in the mid winter you will see the whole herd(Roe) out grazing as bold as brass at around 7am as regular as clockwork.(half an hour later and they will have disapeared)

i certainly aint no expert! but above are a few thing i have observed

When i was a kid we used to call em 'chinese water deer' they was a pretty rare sight back then but nowadays i would class them as a pest loads of them about round our way they are hardy little creatures so i would expect to see numbers increase up your way over the next 10yrs or so

i think deer numbers have increased all round over the last decade or so from [bANNED TEXT] im seeing(but as i said i aint no expert!).

I was out lamping rabbits the other night and i spoted a fallow doe on her own around 250 yards from the rest of the herd, do single fallow often stray from the herd like this? I was aound 200 yards away and as soon as the beam hit her eyes she was off straight back to the herd and then they all disapered into a wood. I had the beam on its flank and she didnt even stop grazing but as soon as the beam hit her eyes she ran.

David

When i was a kid we used to call em 'chinese water deer' they was a pretty rare sight back then but nowadays i would class them as a pest loads of them about round our way they are hardy little creatures so i would expect to see numbers increase up your way over the next 10yrs or so

i think deer numbers have increased all round over the last decade or so from [bANNED TEXT] im seeing(but as i said i aint no expert!).

Chinese are a totally seperate species, but these do occur in the wild in the uk. Muntjac are spreading and can be found in most of southern england and its only the larger watercourses and built up areas that are slowing them, but they always get through in the end. They are spreadin north and i know they are in doncaster area in growing numbers as well as further north. south of lincolnshire practically evert patch of quiet woodland will have them in before long, though i didnt see them in hampshire when i have been down there. JOEB, muntys will eat windfall, in fact, they will eat anything. their hoof prints are small and about the size of a fifty pence peice when viewed in the soil. They love to live in bramble and can be very hard to flush out. Your best bet to see them is to walk a few fields adjacent to the woods in jan/feb with the lamp ......to watch them only.....its illegal to lamp deer :no: indeed, illegal to run them with lurcher unless tracking wounded ones down :rocker: All species of deer are spreading like crazy.... :icon_eek:;)

Nice one lads, keep it coming :thumbs-up: ............funny enough, I picked up a roadkill Munty on the way to ferreting this morning.........much nearer to a major town than I had expected.

Will Munty venture as far from cover as Roe?...............and with the CWD, is it wetland habitat or any type of water course?

JOEB

JOEB, muntys will eat windfall, in fact, they will eat anything. their hoof prints are small and about the size of a fifty pence peice when viewed in the soil.

Seemed to be about the size of my thumb JD :yes:

Cheers Fella,

JOEB

Been in Hampshire this weekend, saw four roe in my brother in laws garden, also saw a muntjac JD just inside the Hampshire borders :D

Is that the start of the M3 Si???.........country around there is very similar to Western Germany......

They have high seats all over the place in WG :yes:

Conifer & bracken/scrub type terrain......Hants that is, starts to change after Fleet to more rolling grassland with some very nice chalk streams.

Be intresting to know what would be prefered feeding stuff for Deer in this Conifer & bracken area........less choice maybe than normal English woods & grassland??

JOEB