New Ferret Locator

Deben have decided to bring their range of ferret and terrier finders into the millennium. On display, at the Midland, was the new generation of locators that have been 4 years in the making (30 years if you're a cynic).

The new set up brings a knocker box that resembles something from a Star Trek episode. It has lot's of flashing lights but we're assured by Deben that they're functional. These are different search modes which take the range up to 20 feet.

308R2VR8118.jpg

They now have a bright orange high vis option which is handy to prevent backfilling and consequently re-digging...

308R2VR8119.jpg

The durability of this new kit is open to debate. The plus side is that the receiver is held together by the collar itself similar to a belt buckle.

308R2VR8120.jpg

The receiver is protected by the nylon strap which makes it much more secure and it doesn't unscrew. I've also been informed it seals which makes water ingress less of an issue.

The unit as a whole only claims to be 'weather proof' which mean you'll still have to watch the puddles. Jury is out as we only got a little demo. It'll be interesting to see how they cope in the field.

Now a bit of the bad news. They cost £127 (which isn't arse rippingly expensive) and for that you get a box and a collar. Replacement collars costs £47 and the old ones aren't compatible with the new ones. You can't mix and match. :lol:

It looks like the old boxes are being discontinued but we're assured that spares and repairs will still be available for those with the original kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Think ill stay with the old type for now.

Sounds good,.I'll be 'field testing' the 'Treckie' in a few days time...

whats the treckie is it diffrent type of new locator

Edited by Pat
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I'm new on here and just going through a few topics,

I always use a locator and think that they are an invaluable piece of kit,

My only gripe is why they insist on only putting the transmitter on a collar, I have known lots of ferrets to slip the collar (although only happened to me personally once)

so I always take the transmitter off and attach it to a nylon harness.

I've never had or heard of anyone having any problems with them, just wish they would make them as standard.

Guest Geordie

What f**ks me off is the way Deben are shafting us :angry: ,ive just bought 3 collars (old style) and i wanted another box to go with the one ive got (as a spare).But when i go to the dealers they say 'ye cant get the MK1 boxes anymore Deben wont supply them' :angry:

Now i wouldnt mind buying the new locator if it was compatible with the old collars,but the greedy gits have made them so that they are not compatible. :lol:

They should have made them compatible and phased the older boxes out, it now means that i have to fork out, £215 for a locator and 3 collars,which in my book is a lot of money realmad.gif

Dont get me wrong ,ive got nowt against companies making money,thats why they are in business,but this is daylight robbery.

I would love to see some other company come up with a cheaper,but just as good version,or somebody take up on the older design,i.e producing and repairing them.

That would wipe the smug grin off Debens face,and i bet a lot of people would f**k Deben off in favour of a newer company.

Anyway,rant over,have a good xmas and a happy new year all :D

Guest Geordie

I ordered a mk1 from johnsons fieldsports,approx 10 mins after being on here :icon_eek::D

plus 2 collars and they just arrived this mornin,thats good service innit :D:D

Dunno how many MK1 boxes they have got left but if i can save up quick enuff im gonna order another one,dont fancy buying 'The discus' until it has been tested and refined a bit more :haha::haha: