Where can I shot my air rifle?

Without sounding too stupid I was wondering if anyone had any advise on where I can legally go shooting with my .22 gas powered air rifle. I know I can ask for permission but a lot of land where I live is for shots and no chance of getting permission but what I want to know is am I going to be breaking any laws by using my air rifle in other areas or can I only shot on land I have been given permission on?

Any advice is welcome.

why is there no chance of you geting permision on the keeperd land ? you will never no untill you ask

alot of keepers would be happy to have you shoot on there land and keep the pests down

just rember when you ask to tell them that you are more than happy to return the favor

and help out on the estate , :thumbs: ,

cheers tim

Hi

I'm pretty new to hunting but I've managed to blag a couple of permissions, try and think of maybe a friend or relative who might know somene who knows someone who has a farm or works on a farm or any suitable land. Just ask everyone you know, thats all I did and landed two pemissions.

Good luck

Carl

Hi Darren,

As Aaron said, your back garden is fine as long as the pellet stays within your boundary :yes:

As others have said, ask around. I have two permissions, one of which is a local parish cemetery, thats suffered severe damage due to bunnies. The paddock next door to the cemetery, I just happened to be walking over a foot bridge over the main road, when I saw a guy working in the paddock. I walked round the other side to the gate, called him over, chatted about his horses, then the rabbits and the as he called em "Fooking Big Black B@sterd Birds" (Corvids to the rest of us) that keep attacking his shetland ponies after their eyes.

I mentioned that if he wanted me to, I'd happily shoot em for him.

He accepted my offer on the spot. The Cemetery permission came about 3 to 6 months after I offered to do it for them free of charge.

Good Luck Buddy

Phantom

PS you said "Gas Rifle" is that a Co2 or a Gas Ram?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I haven’t managed to get any permission yet but have had better response from people than I thought I would. Once I have a bit more time on my hands I have a few leads to chase up.

Hopefully I will have some land to shot on soon....

Darren...

you can shoot in your backgarden provided you have a safe backstop (pellet catcher)and your pellet dose not leave your garden. or you can join a air rifle club. your local shooting ground may have a rifle range but it'll cost you.

Could be wrong but iam sure discharging a firearm in a built up area is still illegal in Scotland thumbs.gif

you can shoot in your backgarden provided you have a safe backstop (pellet catcher)and your pellet dose not leave your garden. or you can join a air rifle club. your local shooting ground may have a rifle range but it'll cost you.

Could be wrong but iam sure discharging a firearm in a built up area is still illegal in Scotland thumbs.gif

Yeh it is , but you can still shoot in your garden as long as noise is not a nuisance and no pellets leave your property.

Inside your garden boundary is not a built up area.

Yeh it is , but you can still shoot in your garden as long as noise is not a nuisance and no pellets leave your property.

Inside your garden boundary is not a built up area.

Dident know that mate cheersthumbs.gif

You can if your gardens big anough,which mine aint its only 10 yards to my back gates.thing of knocking a wall through the house to give me 50 meters.(only jokeing)smile.gif

My garden is less than 10 yards long. I make up a decent range by opening all the doors and lying just inside the front door. Fortunately it all lines up nicely and is almost exactly the 30 yard zero, plus I get to stay inside in the warm (though the missus gets a bit miffed if I leave the door open for ages. I've got a plan for that though, we have a dog flap, I reckon if I can prop it open I could shoot straight through with the door shut!

As for where you can shoot, yes, you can only legally shoot where you have the permission of the person who holds the shooting rights to that land. Anything else is armed trespass which carries sever penalties, up to and including 5 years imprisonment. An air rifle counts as a firearm for the trespass laws, so the penalties are very severe!