type of greyhound

I think the most important thing to me would probably be why a greyhound bitch had been retired, because if it had been due to foot or wrist injuries I would be very dubious about breeding working lurchers from her just my opinion ;)

Edited by Chaz
  • 2 weeks later...

Guest samstheman
I think the most important thing to me would probably be why a greyhound bitch had been retired, because if it had been due to foot or wrist injuries I would be very dubious about breeding working lurchers from her just my opinion ;)

Had a litter of pups 10 weeks ago, pure greyhound (daughter of Chart King) x collie whippet greyhound. She was retired from racing as she injured her feet, not through racing but by jumping over her very high pen fence and landing awkwardly. If this had not happened, who knows......she may have won a few derbys like her dad. Her pups turned out very well, and stand at 15" at the age of 10 weeks. She still works the fields as well as any of my other dogs, and I wouldn't change her for the world. As for her offspring's ability to work, only time will tell, but I have no doubt they will turn out tops :victory:

Cheers, Mari

Obviously that is a completely different thing entirely, the point I was trying to make is that if the dog has injuries to feet and legs through running round a nicely prepared surface of sand what chance have the pups when running over uneven fields filled with stones flints and potholes JMO

Guest samstheman
Obviously that is a completely different thing entirely, the point I was trying to make is that if the dog has injuries to feet and legs through running round a nicely prepared surface of sand what chance have the pups when running over uneven fields filled with stones flints and potholes JMO

Absolutely mate, but surely any dog of any breed can suffer the misfortune of coming a cropper on rough terrain? I'm sure JOEB will vouch for this following his :no: experience this week?

Mari

I totally agree, but why breed to a weakness when there are dogs available without it ??

If I was personally looking for a bitch to breed I would be looking for one that had , had a good number of races without picking up any injuries and would also probably look for one that had been performing oner 6 or 8 bends as a preference, they are available it might just not be the first one you get offered :thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

good thread this lads i have enjoyed reading it. i was thinking about the possibility of producing lurchers from my dog put over a greyhound. i have an irish terrier who is keen but he is 20 inch at the shoulder so he is too big for ground work and just a bit to slow for running things. if i was to mate hime to a greyhound of about 25-26 inch would the results be worthwile? what i would be looking for from the dogs would be stamina, speed and intelligence. i know you can not guarentee any of these treats but if i choose the right bitch would i have a chance of producing what i am after? what kind of greyhound would suit my needs? any comments are welcome so let me know what you think. cheers, jpt

Edited by jpt

havnt seen that cross before, well mate if you've read the above that should tell you which greyhound to use, i wouldve thought the pups should make decent dogs, the irish terrier is renouned to have plenty of fire in its belly and being a terrier it'll have plenty of stamina and brains , would think your first crosses would top out at 22.5/23 ats

Guest oldskool

irish terrier lurchers were popular here at one time... phillip king used to breed them and from what i have read he would swear that the 3/4grey 1/4 irish terrier was a hard dog to beat... i like your dog mate has he seen much work??

Not to put you off or anything it is just that I saw a litter of first x IT GREYS advertised earlier this year on a few sites and they were still being advertised when they were 5 months old so before you breed make sure you can find homes for all the pups :thumbs-up: as it is an expensive game rearing pups that you eventually have to give away :cry:

He has a few bunny's but thats it. he has seen plenty of fox but i dont let him run on them. he is still young yet, only 16 months. he would know what to do though i think but that doesn't matter really with the law as it is.

I saw the same litter advertised they were from derbyshire because i spoke to the bloke about them. I was intrested but he never got back to me so that was that. i have got a lurcher now any way so i am happy.

I was only thinking about the idea like i said erlier because its a huge investment of lots of things. i would have to get a greyhound firstly as i doubt anyone would want to use there own bitch for such a cross. like you said there just aint the demand. my dog has got the best atributes you could ever ask for in a dog so i would like to use him at some stage but who knows.

cheers lads

Guest oldskool

to chaz... i think the problem with alot of litters is that people over charge and hide behind the 'no expense spared' excuse!!! then they wonder why they have pups runnin around for a good part of the year... now thats just my honest opinion

to chaz... i think the problem with alot of litters is that people over charge and hide behind the 'no expense spared' excuse!!! then they wonder why they have pups runnin around for a good part of the year... now thats just my honest opinion

Totally agree mate, at the end of the day a genuine dog man will let other genuine dog men have a pup at a price just enough to cover costs or free of charge to prove the breeding :thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...

I take my staghounds out to be checked by an old greyhound man what this man doesn't know about greyhounds isnt worth knowing. Last time I was out there he was telling me how track greyhounds are being breed so fine now in search of that extra fraction of a second that they are having trouble with them braking pasterns and hocks.

He also told me that his father and grandfather use to breed live coursing greyhounds when it was legal in this country, to get larger stronger dogs that could be caused all day they would do a deerhound or staghound cross then come back to the greyhound again he said by the second or thrird generation you could not tell them from straight greyhounds apart from size , strength and the fact they didnt brake down as much.

Stevemac

My best lurchers have had Irish terrier blood, very good for my pastime of fox bashing, never had a 3/4 bred though usually 1st crosses or linebred 1st crosses . Current dog is bull grey / irish terrier grey, he is excellent and we currently have 2 bitch pups by him out of a bul grey which our kid is bringing on.

Only breed if you have homes for them

celt