is kulling unwanted kits more responsible?

with so many litters of ferrets offered for sale should you just keep what you need?

iv got two jills that ill breed from soon iv breed ferrets before and know you never make money from them. i only keep jills i need a few for next year myself and a couple of freinds have asked for two jills ill charge tenner each just to cover costs.

i think ill kull all hobs at birth as i think its better in the long run. does any one else carry out this practice?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.   It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.   Ho

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish m

with so many litters of ferrets offered for sale should you just keep what you need?

iv got two jills that ill breed from soon iv breed ferrets before and know you never make money from them. i only keep jills i need a few for next year myself and a couple of freinds have asked for two jills ill charge tenner each just to cover costs.

i think ill kull all hobs at birth as i think its better in the long run. does any one else carry out this practice?

Yes.

To be honest with you,mate, you've just described exactly why I don't breed ferrets anymore .

I don't hold with this 'breeding a working line' stuff as experience has taught me that all ferrets will work ,to a greater or lesser degree, so when I need a replacement I always get a rescue . Being a founder member of a rescue society helps as well .

So, sorry mate but that culling business gets a big :thumbdown::doh:

from me .

ATB

So you plan to have a kid but your wife has twins what would you do? just get rid of one, didn't think so so why is an animal any differant.

this practise of killing is crap there is no need for it at all if you choose to breed then you should be prepaired to raise the kits until you find homes for them all yes you might have to keep them untill they ar about 6 mths old but if you advertise them then im sure even if it is to a pet owner you will find a home for them, and if having real problems and all has been tried then contact a rescue centre and learn that you dont need to breed, and if you do decide to then have enough homes lined up reguardless of what sex. :o

Edited by wullieh

So you plan to have a kid but your wife has twins what would you do? just get rid of one, didn't think so so why is an animal any differant.

this practise of killing is crap there is no need for it at all if you choose to breed then you should be prepaired to raise the kits until you find homes for them all yes you might have to keep them untill they ar about 6 mths old but if you advertise them then im sure even if it is to a pet owner you will find a home for them, and if having real problems and all has been tried then contact a rescue centre and learn that you dont need to breed, and if you do decide to then have enough homes lined up reguardless of what sex. :o

far too many people like you treating animals like humans,

they are fecking animals, now that dont mean to say ye can be cruel to them

but please stop treating them like humans, they aint :icon_eek:

I run a resuce for them mate and have done for over 6 yrs rehoming unwanted ferrets and have never turned any away, but this is just pure crulty, i work my ferrets but even though they are workers they are pets, and if more folk were like this then it can only be a good thing for the animal, my own ar like family members , but lets put it another way you had a litter of pups and the bitches were spoken for would you kill the dogs?

I run a resuce for them mate and have done for over 6 yrs rehoming unwanted ferrets and have never turned any away, but this is just pure crulty, i work my ferrets but even though they are workers they are pets, and if more folk were like this then it can only be a good thing for the animal, my own ar like family members , but lets put it another way you had a litter of pups and the bitches were spoken for would you kill the dogs?

if the choice was passing my problems on to a charity,(recscue or whatever ye want to call them)

advertise them so that any plum with a passing fancy could come an have 1

or pts the surplus pups or kitts, then aye why not...............

tho to be honest i wouldnae breed, id buy in :thumbs:

That is where the bit word RESPONSABLE comes in, if you cant guarentee home then dont breed simple.and i invite you to come see the rescue if you so wish and see the work i put in with them, since you seem to have so little doubt (what ever you want to call them, your words) it is not just unwanted ferrets i take in but ones that have been lost if you look at my other posts then you will see that some folk do care for them.

Edited by wullieh

if the choice was passing my problems on to a charity,(recscue or whatever ye want to call them)

advertise them so that any plum with a passing fancy could come an have 1

or pts the surplus pups or kitts, then aye why not...............

tho to be honest i wouldnae breed, id buy in :thumbs:

That is where the bit word RESPONSABLE comes in, if you cant guarentee home then dont breed simple.and i invite you to come see the rescue if you so wish and see the work i put in with them, since you seem to have so little doubt (what ever you want to call them, your words) it is not just unwanted ferrets i take in but ones that have been lost if you look at my other posts then you will see that some folk do care for them.

woooppyy feckkin doo you have recued a few ferrets,

the guy asked the opinion an loads have given them. it was you comin on an putting your human ethics on the ferrets,

if i ever breed an have surplus, they will be pts, if not then i wont

you do as you please an ill do as i see fit

tooodaloooos :thumbs:

is it such a bad thing to have a person on a site like this that will pass on knowledge to others and share there views on ferrets, your stillthe old school mate and need to get a grip if you think you have that knowledge to share then batter in but i recon what you now about ferrets you could write on a stamp. :feck:

If you need to cull then you don't need to breed. As for using it as a way to get jills out of heat....come on. That's Dark Ages stuff. Don't be so thrifty, the ferrets no doubt work hard for you. Get a V-hob and it's all sorted. If you don't have a need for a full litter and can't find enough people to take all the kits...then buy a few.

As for my eggs, they are always fresh from my own birds. :thumbs:

Edit: The wee rescued albino hob in my sig was going to be a cull...he was destined to have a meeting with a fencepost or bucket of water. Very glad I took him in as he has accounted for a lot of rabbits. When I hear of people culling I always wonder if they have killed off the best ferret they have ever bred.

Edited by Coneytrappr

so is this an end to it then dooty doo :friends: and lets get back to sharing knowledge to ferret owners that need help, as i do have a wealth of knowledge not being big headed that id like to share with people with ferrets, i do not know if you ever heard of my rescue but i have rehomed ferrets all over the uk and attend gamefairs during the summer raising ferret awareness.my goal is if i change some folks veiws then welldone to the ferrets.

This is a question thats always going to piss people off!

I've bred working ferrets for 30 years, and have never culled. Would you breed a litter of pups and cull the surplus? I very much doubt it. So why should it be different with ferrets?

IMO There is NO reason why in this day and age, given the options we have for FREE ADVERTISING that ANY animal should be culled. Surley its harder work to sift through a litter and cull weaklings and runts, than it is to sit at a computer and advertise them.