• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why the :toast: ?? would you be pleased if that happened to your dog ?

The :toast: was in reference to the world beating fen dogs that can run all day, drive tractors, have an IQ of 140 and can speak 27 different languages..... :boogie::boogie:

you mean salukis ..lol :laugh:

The very ones lol :drink:

:blink: yeah that makes sense :blink:

Your well named mate..... was about to say your name after I read your post..... What don't you get? In some peoples eyes The fen dogs are number 1, numero uno,..... :toast: If you still don't understand, do me a favour........ pretend you do :hmm:

this wasnt about fen dogs though it was a guy worried about his lurcher asking for advice. you have made it about fen dogs not me but I thought the :toast: was in bad taste you wouldnt be jumpin for joy if your dog collapsed would you

Right.............. :icon_eek:

Those of you who had seen my Red dog would know that he died within 2 days of coughing a very small amount blood.

As soon as i had seen this i took him to the vets, left him there. The next day Talking to a few people, various "could be's" were stated which all seemed very minor.

£1300 later (dog insured)i get a call at 3am with the bad news.

For me its vets all the time, unless its something that i have experianced in the past that i can deal with myself. I.e cuts or minor tears.

towlers1.jpg

Edited by artic

:bye:

its a simple question no need to be a smart ass :thumbs:

Close...... It was a question from a simpleton.... :clapper: No I wouldn't be jumping for joy if my dog had collapsed.... INFACT I ain't even jumping for joy because this guys dog has collapsed. I used the emoticon :toast: because it had a wee cup with the number 1 on it. Obviously too hard for flamin boringthearseofme to understand but hey ho.... If it offended anyone apart from flamin getalife then I appoligise..... or however you spell it :bye:

Get him checked out!!!!!

My dog is in the vet hospital as we speak .............. was out with him last night, too many runs (didn't seem like that at the time though).

Walking across fields back to the cars, my dog was lagging behind, kept an eye on him, next minute he starts walking really slowly and robotically, then collapsed.

If it hadn't been for the bloke I was out with helping me carry him and for the keeper who came to collect us for the last few fields I wouldn't have the dog today.

Can't believe how quickly he went down, tried giving him water, he wouldn't/couldn't swallow, took him straight to the 24 hour vet hospital near me, he was in extreme shock and wasn't far off dead.

They're keeping him in for 24 hours and see how it goes.

It's no good asking people what they "think" mate, get him checked properly and then you'll know, and be able to make a decision based on that knowledge.

Good luck.

Hope your dog is ok again.

a quality greyhound book or a decent greyhound trainer you can call upon is a must if you don't want to spend a fortune on vets bills,at least 75% of our lurcher's kept and run in this country are 3/4 greyhound or whippet so it makes sense to understand the workings of the bit that gives them their pace,all these problems are known to good greyhound men,my mate has saved me a fortune down the year's,I have had him put their backs and joints put back in places that an ordinary vet could not find,a good bonesetter can make a lot of difference to a dog that isn't running quite right,you wouldn't believe it if you never seen it,I had a large deerhound cross that had to be retired due to acidosis when run heavilly,shame as he was a great dog,you younger lads on this site would do well to read up on the greyhound, it was one of my first books I ever had bought for me,atb,wirralman

dog collapsing after to much running especially the more greyhoundy types is common, first thing to do is cool them down then get some electrolytes in to them, then get them to a vet if their real bad. I always have electrolytes with me and give them a drink every now and again or have it in the van.

I carry electrolytes mix in a little tomato juice it helps against the build up of lactic acid I also mix tomato juice in their food every day it was a greyhound trainer that told me many years ago after a dog went leggy after a hard run that it helped with the effects of lactic acid build up.Dont know if he was right or not but have not had a prob since I also add a large spoon of honey which he said helped but I,m not sure if electrolytes were around then so he proberbly ment as electrolyte substitute I also add honey with every feed