the fastest whippet in the country ????

ive read this post with interest and am surprised that even some of my knowledgable buddies havn't picked up on something.

at open and championship class level every non ped has more speed than any game we hunt, many races are photo finishes with inches sometimes being the difference between being a champion and remembered forever and only runner up, and ive got both champion trophies and runners up. these dogs are travelling at well over 20yds a second miss the trap, stumble, blink and your out of it.

sometimes a cracking dog can be misshandled, not schooled well, conditioned or fed wrong and it ends up not getting the recognition it would with a more competent handler. the lurcher breeder / owner shouldn,t in my opinion be blinded by rch this or nch that but should look for consistency, conformation, good feet and probably most importantly temperament. i,m not saying that champions cant have these virtues but i would much rather have a consistent performer with all these virtues from the bloodlines i like as a stud than a better recognised racer without these qualities.

• Like 5

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruby Wednesday (sugar fire x greyhound)

Posted Images

ive read this post with interest and am surprised that even some of my knowledgable buddies havn't picked up on something.

at open and championship class level every non ped has more speed than any game we hunt, many races are photo finishes with inches sometimes being the difference between being a champion and remembered forever and only runner up, and ive got both champion trophies and runners up. these dogs are travelling at well over 20yds a second miss the trap, stumble, blink and your out of it.

sometimes a cracking dog can be misshandled, not schooled well, conditioned or fed wrong and it ends up not getting the recognition it would with a more competent handler. the lurcher breeder / owner shouldn,t in my opinion be blinded by rch this or nch that but should look for consistency, conformation, good feet and probably most importantly temperament. i,m not saying that champions cant have these virtues but i would much rather have a consistent performer with all these virtues from the bloodlines i like as a stud than a better recognised racer without these qualities.

A good reply.I have had two lurchers bred out of non ped raceing champs and have seen numerouse more run out of the years and tbh the best types i have seen from these types was [bANNED TEXT] a dog out of a ped whippet was put to a grey the resulting dog would not have won any races but had a fair bit of stamina and running ability and produced some decent pups.
  • Like 1

good pics whippet greyhound and bird dog to true i worked my grew for three seasons in good company before i bred her at 4 years she was a good dog at 40 odd pound ,not just in my eyes but every body who ran with her , but only one part of the melting pot ran mines from 7 8 month till day i gave her to aless strenous life and she is living the life of riley in a house , got a soft spot for the bigger grews good dogs i rate them better than greyhound for breeding lurchers the bigger ones

Great pics..when we had them they wieghed in at around 14lb, 20lb was a big dog and who have found it difficult to get a race, remember my dad having a picture of one of his best in the 50`s Kathleens Jack, sitting on the mantlepiece,

sorry mate but for out and out speed peds cant come close to these guys, i know the peds have a big following and rightly so in their own right some are cracking little dogs. we used to use peds to give our non ped pups a pass when learning the ropes. i had a 7mnth old non ped / grew that gave a ped racer 20yds start and she'd passed it before she'd ran 50 and we stopped the lure at about 100. something i didn't mention in my earlier post aimed at the lurcher guys, if i was using a non ped stud i'd be looking for one with a strong bitch line, anyone can take anything to a known stud but the classy bitches out of similar would be a better proposition

Pedigree whippet

at the moment Run at Mill is a good stud dog, some of his pups are unbeatable as he was when he was racing. Evansent is another good dog, pups from him are young but starting to do well. Both these were fantastic champs.

good on ya

a dog who will remain in non peds history,,,,is a dog called WISHY WAS he was a full ped

but in those day there was arguments in the ped world,,,,as u have recommended above ,,,ped racers :thumbs: ,,back in the day thats all pll,s would breed from,,,as show ped whippets were a big no no,,,but 2day its ok

plus back in the day ped whippets had more or less straight backs,,,,unlike 2day,,,,iam a sad guy i read some off the old whippet mags lol,,,,and ped whippet owners use to have huge arguements over show and racing whippets,,,same as non ped and ped whippets and ped greyhounds and coursing and racing greys

rough coated whippets and smooth coated whippets

its great how pll,s still put forward and follow there peds or be it non peds,,,,and put forward there good dogs,,,meaning they are still creating alot off instrest for plls 2day :thumbs:

heres one off the debates in 1977 non ped v,s pedigree lol,,,,appions back then and are still on going in a way 2day

mr .g hunter of crawford ,tyne & wear

to those who object to the use of the name WHIPPET to describe greyhound crosses , i can only say that there were whippet racing tracks long before the KENNEL CLUB ever accepted the whippet as a breed. It was the kennel club which took the name whippet from racing dogs, it used to found there breed

there was also other oppion wrote about ,,for ped whippet,s not given passport,,,althou they were without doubt a pedigree whippet,,,but didnt have the look the show folk looked for ,hence not given there passport as they didnt have the looks they require,,,,BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY AND BATTLE BETWEEN PED WHIPPET OWNERS ,,,,LOL

I DID SAY I WAS A SAD FECKER,,,,BUT SOME OFF THE TALKING POINT ARTICALS in the old whippet mags,,,MAKES HUNTING LIFE AND SOOTY SAM WHIPPET BIBLE TOPICS on here,,,, look LIKE CHILDS PLAY :D:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , :laugh:

Edited by whip x grey

its articals written 30/ 40 +YEAR AGO ,,WHIPPET PLL,S DEBATED ABOUT ,,,,MAKE ME THINK I KNOW FECK ALL IN THE END,,,,AND I WAS BORN INTO WHIPPETS,,,,,THEY GUYS HAD BOOKS /MAGS AT HAND AND FAMILY THAT DATED WELL BEFORE ANYONES TIME,,,,THEY DID HOWEVER KNOW THERE RUNNING DOGS,,,IN THE BLOOD IS AN UNDERSTATMENT THEY ATE SLEEPED HUNTING/RACING AND SHOWING,,,,EVEN GOT MARRIED TO OTHER HALF WITH ,,,ALL THERE MATES OUTSIDE WITH THERE RUNNING DOGS

TALKING POINT!!!!

Our current subject of greyhound x racing whippet has aroused a deal of intrest , and five of our readers this month express their veiws on the subject. firstly we hear from sam ernest stoke- owner of the famous whishy was.....

having shown pedigree whippets and raced whippets for a good number of years.i should like to express my veiws on the subject, first lets examine the pedigree whippet- where did show dogs originate from ????

off the track good looking dogs but not the quickest,,NO whippeteer in the early days sold good fast dogs,,so the show was formed, a standard drawn up- a blue print that said this is a whippet and should be able to race . then, like most show dogs , looks became paramount, performance was not required and so deterioured.

a racing dog must have courage,fire guts- call it what you may. the staffordshire bull terrier, the bedlington terrier ( they were 24lb broken- haired whippets for years in the stafffordshire area that could fly ,,,,have all been used to try to achive this,,,and to a certain degree, were successful . in a litter crossed with these dogs some of the pups always looked like whippets.

so now using greyhounds, not pedigree ones,,please note, there is a diffrance. while i appreciate the pedigree whippeteers, point off veiw,no-one is spoiling the pedigree whippet,they are too safeguarded by the kennel club for that

I ran (non-Ped) Whippets back in the 60's; there was any amount of tracks in the North East then. Some had a strict 21" limit, some said the dogs must be "smooth coated and of Whippet like appearance". The Rising Sun W.C. had both these stipulations. Other clubs such as Seaton Burn and Coxlodge Clubs, basicaly said if your dog fitted the trap, it could run ! There was dogs fron 18" smooth coated to 23" rough coated in some litters !! I had a dog, Blue Prince, who could pass for a large Pedigree Whippet, (21" & 36lb) and in his litter were a bitch 18" and a bitch 24" and some with wiry coats !! In those days the dogs would course, ferret and race . They certainly wern't as fast as the dogs today, but I was lucky enough to see some of the greatest Racing Whippets ever, from the 18lb Cherry, to ,(in my mind), the greatest Scratch Dog ever, Daisy. I still go to the track now, and the speed of these dogs is phenominal, but back in the day it was far, far harder to get a Rch, simply becase there was so many more dogs running. I hope the numbers pick up, it would be a shame to see Whippet racing die out.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

sorry mate but for out and out speed peds cant come close to these guys, i know the peds have a big following and rightly so in their own right some are cracking little dogs. we used to use peds to give our non ped pups a pass when learning the ropes. i had a 7mnth old non ped / grew that gave a ped racer 20yds start and she'd passed it before she'd ran 50 and we stopped the lure at about 100. something i didn't mention in my earlier post aimed at the lurcher guys, if i was using a non ped stud i'd be looking for one with a strong bitch line, anyone can take anything to a known stud but the classy bitches out of similar would be a better proposition

No arguing there mate, non peds are probably 5-10yds infront of a good pedie whippet over 150 yds. I have been to Old hall non ped club with my pedies the last few winters to give thm a run, they give me a 5yd handicap and I never beat them.

No arguing there mate, non peds are probably 5-10yds infront of a good pedie whippet over 150 yds. I have been to Old hall non ped club with my pedies the last few winters to give thm a run, they give me a 5yd handicap and I never beat them.

When I was Handicapper at Coxlodge W.R.C. we had two Pedigree Whippets running with the Non-Peds, Silver Fox and Silver Birch. They allways sat of the top mark, 21 yards, and I can't ever remember them winning a heat. Recently, there has been the odd Ped coming to Westerhope track, and the times they do mean they would get the top mark, but would have no chance of winning against the Non-Peds. It's possible these aren't the best Ped racers, but there is a yawning gap in speed between the two. As far as I know, only one Ped ever won a BWRA Rch, and that was an exceptional dog.

Cheers.

I ran (non-Ped) Whippets back in the 60's; there was any amount of tracks in the North East then. Some had a strict 21" limit, some said the dogs must be "smooth coated and of Whippet like appearance". The Rising Sun W.C. had both these stipulations. Other clubs such as Seaton Burn and Coxlodge Clubs, basicaly said if your dog fitted the trap, it could run ! There was dogs fron 18" smooth coated to 23" rough coated in some litters !! I had a dog, Blue Prince, who could pass for a large Pedigree Whippet, (21" & 36lb) and in his litter were a bitch 18" and a bitch 24" and some with wiry coats !! In those days the dogs would course, ferret and race . They certainly wern't as fast as the dogs today, but I was lucky enough to see some of the greatest Racing Whippets ever, from the 18lb Cherry, to ,(in my mind), the greatest Scratch Dog ever, Daisy. I still go to the track now, and the speed of these dogs is phenominal, but back in the day it was far, far harder to get a Rch, simply becase there was so many more dogs running. I hope the numbers pick up, it would be a shame to see Whippet racing die out.

Cheers.

I THOUGHT ur fav would have been ,,,i think marretta scratch a fawn scratch racer,,,long body ,,,unsure about spelling rich,,,,,undeafeted 72 races,,,they dog were more famous than football stars 2day ,in there local area ( i think) ,,,,prize money in the scratch racing back then could be as much as £100 to £80 ,,,,,heat winners got £1.50 ,,,,bearing in mind ,,,50p could buy u the best leather lead and collar for yer dog,,,,and 2 bob which i think was 10p could feed yer dog in the best meat for a week

but i wasnt around then,,,,but you were rich,,,,is it true ?????

Cheers.

I THOUGHT ur fav would have been ,,,i think marretta scratch a fawn scratch racer,,,long body ,,,unsure about spelling rich,,,,,undeafeted 72 races,,,they dog were more famous than football stars 2day ,in there local area ( i think) ,,,,prize money in the scratch racing back then could be as much as £100 to £80 ,,,,,heat winners got £1.50 ,,,,bearing in mind ,,,50p could buy u the best leather lead and collar for yer dog,,,,and 2 bob which i think was 10p could feed yer dog in the best meat for a week

but i wasnt around then,,,,but you were rich,,,,is it true ?????

When "Barretta", a daughter of Marretta, was coming to the end of her Scratch Racing career, her owner offered me her and hoped I would mate her with my old dog Blue Prince. I was also offered "Susan", (Blue Fawn x Young Lucy) a great Scratch Dog in her own right, and sibling to some of the best dogs ever, (I had a pup out of her by Darley Fly), for £170,this was in the early 70's !!! I turned them both down, and have never bred a pup. I loved the Scratch Dogs and remember racing Robbo, (Bilko X Frozen Kill), against a Greyhound, on a Greyhound Track, over 270 yards, It generated great interest, but he got beat a short head !! LOL !! The heydays of Whippet Racing, the 60's & 70's were fantastic, we went from Ashington to Hinckley for match racing, and a lot of money changed hands. Some of the top Coursing match men cut theit teeth with Whippet Racing ! Great old days !!

Cheers.