Niall,

Sorry to bear bad news

As mentioned already it's a hen salmon Kelt. Basically this means it has spawned last winter, and would be on it's route back to sea. They take up this silver apperance after spawning, hence the term 'Well mended Kelt'. Cannot comment on Irish fisgeries law, but it's an offence to kill kelts in Wales, England and Scotland.

Might be an idea to withdraw the pic

If you need any more info please feel free to contact me

having read up on it after your comments, i have to tell you all i now feel like shit.

i would not have kept it if i'd have known.

i love my fishing and did not intentionaly set out to catch this fish, i have always though a salmon was a salmon, i never knew about all these different stages of its life until now.

thats a shitty end to my day.....

niall_b73

i really do not no what to say, i honestly feel sick to the core now knowing what i know now and having read what i have now read on the topic.

i can safely say i will stick to the pike from here on in.

like i said earlier i did not intentionaly set out to catch this fish.

very day is a learning curve pal.i didnt know this either.antway,what did it taste like? :laugh:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

well i learned a valuable lesson today.

as for eating the poor thing, having read up on them now, i'm not even sure that they can be eaten. it said on 1 site i looked at that the kelt is considered an unclean fish due to the spawning factor....

niall_b73

very day is a learning curve pal.i didnt know this either.antway,what did it taste like? :laugh:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

well i learned a valuable lesson today.

as for eating the poor thing, having read up on them now, i'm not even sure that they can be eaten. it said on 1 site i looked at that the kelt is considered an unclean fish due to the spawning factor....

niall_b73

not too worry niall,i would be chuffed myself.

never heard of kelt salmon.

Edited by dixcy

well having that over me now i have to ask,

1. if we are not allowed to keep these kelt salmon tht have spawned and are returning to the sea. do salmon fishermen keep the hen salmon that are caught when heading up to spawn. ??

2. is it only cock salmon that are kept ??

cheers for all the comments ;)

niall_b73