whats the best way of weaning pups off there mum.

my pups are now 3 weeks and 1 day old , there teeth are starting to come through and are making my bitch abit uncomftable , shes still feeding them ok , and we tried soaked weetabix with the pups at 3 weeks and didnt mind that at all , eat it fine .. just im getting people telling me differnt things .. and has its my first litter it will only come with experiance i suppose ,

regards

Dale

Guest bigbird
my pups are now 3 weeks and 1 day old , there teeth are starting to come through and are making my bitch abit uncomftable , shes still feeding them ok , and we tried soaked weetabix with the pups at 3 weeks and didnt mind that at all , eat it fine .. just im getting people telling me differnt things .. and has its my first litter it will only come with experiance i suppose ,

regards

Dale

Lactol weaning milk with a decent puppy meal soaked decent pet store Dale then onto meat hope this helps you and the bitch mate good luck as you will be doing the lion share now as bitch will be less likely to clean and feed her charges stock up on newspaper ask newsagent for the returns never say no bless em :yes:

i would start feeding them a good puppy chow twice a day and let mum top them up as they require, i feed my lactating bitches the same food as the pups and as much as she wants to eat, i wouldn't be in a hurry to get them off mum but they should be weaned off about the 6 week mark unless mum still wants to top them up longer. keeping the worming up and the bitch in good condition will give them a great start. [bANNED TEXT] breed are they

Guest samstheman

regards

Dale

Hi Dale,our litter of 11 is now 7 weeks old,their mother had a nasty bout of mastitis when they were just under 3 weeks old and wouldn't tolerate feeding so we had no choice but to wean. The options were to individually bottle feed :no: or go straight onto full weaning :D . We started them off on porridge made with goat's milk and a spoonful of honey,3 mins in microwave-job done! Very soon after we gave them mince (cover with boiled water and microwave for 10-15 mins depending on amount),they wolfed it down!Scrambled egg is another favourite. They also had soaked good quality dried puppy food and cooked pasta mixed with the above.We had no option but to take the dam away completely as she was getting a bit nasty,this has had no adverse effect whatsoever and all are happy. Feed as often as they want,and keep them warm and cosy with plenty of soft bedding and a heat lamp if outside-hard work now but it's worth it in the end! Good luck mate :victory:

you should start weaning at around 3 weeks of age i feed 4 times a day and if they eat theat if they dont no worries because they still have the bitch to feed off as the weeks go on i feed more frequently and remove the bitch more and more untill the pups are completely on solids and the bitch drys up nicely ... between 6 1/2 to 8 weeks depending on how well the pups are coming along and how big the litter is ... another thing why do people feed cerial and milk and all the other shit ... get them on meat from the start they are desinged to eat and digest it so feed it .....

my last litter at 3 weeks having a meal .....................

Picture020.jpg