Working a terrier to the gun??

hi all,

i was just wondering what your opinions are on this as i am after something that will flush, retrieve and work alongside the lurchers. i no most will suggest a spaniel or another conventional gundog but i want a bit more versatility as in doing a bit of ratting etc. ( no digging). And after all i dont need a dog that works to most shooters requirements, like i said just flushing and retrieving.

Also what type would you suggest as i have seen a few borders but nothing else?

cheers sean

HI Sean.

I use one of my Borders for "gundog" work as well as terrier work, a couple pics.

Dawn.

pidg2.jpg

working11.jpg

Copyofcanon15978.jpg

cr2.jpg

cr3.jpg

cr4.jpg

cr6.jpg

I have known Russells make handy gundogs too, oh and Staffies too!

Dawn.

Edited by Dawn B

I use my teckel x border terrier when roughshooting , she will enter any cover if there is game in there and is a really useful gundog actually better than my spaniel, the spaniel though is better when ferreting than the teckel x :11: the teckel x is getting really good at putting rabbits out, she is learning to hunt within shot range and will quater in a fashion as well

my brother used to use a border x JRT as a beating dog on a shoot and before that he used a mongrel terrier when he helped a keeper out, both these dogs put FTCH bred ESS and Labs to shame,

the best was the little mongrel terrier retrieving a duck from moving water that all the gundogs had refused to take on :11: the duck had been hit and it's air sack was obviously damaged as it was swimming and sinking slowly :rofl:

none of the gundogs were interested yet little meg swam out and brought it back alive :yahoo: after shoot days everyone guns and beaters returned to a little country pub that allowed dogs in but because it was so small, they only allowed 1 dog in each room, suffice to say little meg was the dog allowed inside that day :yes:

I have used my terriers for beating and flushing game and vermin for the last 10 years.At times they can piss off on scent when out of sight and this can be a bit risky if there are earths about but in the main they love being out.

Lets face it your dog wants to be with you and be hunting.If i am foxing then they switch on to that,if beating they seem to be tuned into that, i dont know how but they are.

I have a Border and a black'un, both have good noses and both are reasonably well trained (ish).

In the beating line they are another pair of feet with the added bonus of a nose attached,they fit just about anywhere,are pretty much tireless and dont take up loads of room.

Both mine have retrieved at times,but have also pegged the odd bird aswell :icon_redface: but ferk it,it wasn't going to fly anyway.

I take my terriers out beating as a form of excercise for them and most places they are welcome.

i went out to do a bit of pigeon shooting by standing under the trees yesterday,my terrier was running through the wood that i was standing by and out came a fox well more like pushed out :11: yep hit him with the first, seconed and 3rd barrel i was useing number 6s dropped him though ,,my terrier hates my gun ,mind you i was going to shoot him the other day so i think he may have picked up on my thoughts ,,haveing a bad hair day ,full of flu ect..very good at bushing are terriers but make sure you dont get a gun shy one ,mind you saying that i never had any of my terriers for bushing other wise i would of took them down to the clay shoot and left them in the motor to get used to the banging ..i will have to think better thoughts when im out shooting next time and see if it is my thoughts thats putting him off coming near me :hmm: :11: taken pic today becouse had no camrea on me at the time ;)

Edited by rob reynolds uk