hungarian vizsla's

as i already said i didnt know what i was expecting and how much the going rate was! :( i had no idea if they were hard to get hold of or not. i now understand why theyre that price :)

anyway! IMO its a breed worth considering in a couple of years time. last question - i promise! how do you find them when they get hurt, do they completely freak out or what? ive heard that they are fairly soft in that area, never seen them get injured though, so i dont really know.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my experience with the breed L/L, i got one after i lost my first gwp bitch was they are not that soft, compared to a gwp they are but ya learn alot by there hunting style and close working style. my old viszla hunted everything my gwp did and i would have another one anytime, mace was sold to a professional trapper and was shot and killed by mistake while he was holding a 140lb boar, hardly a soft dog on game but he was around people and needed the right kind of handler to bring out his finer points, they are not labs and take a gentle hand to train. he also feel out of a boat when a pup and had the prop run right over him, cutting his head up badly, he took it in his stride and bounced back no problems.

my experience with the breed L/L, i got one after i lost my first gwp bitch was they are not that soft, compared to a gwp they are but ya learn alot by there hunting style and close working style. my old viszla hunted everything my gwp did and i would have another one anytime, mace was sold to a professional trapper and was shot and killed by mistake while he was holding a 140lb boar, hardly a soft dog on game but he was around people and needed the right kind of handler to bring out his finer points, they are not labs and take a gentle hand to train. he also feel out of a boat when a pup and had the prop run right over him, cutting his head up badly, he took it in his stride and bounced back no problems.

Bang on the money again kiwi!!! theyre a very versatile breed,not as soft as people make out granted theyre not a dog that likes a beating,they need a gentler and softer approach to training,but when it comes to the everyday working hazzards then i never see a problem,they dont do very well in extreme cold either but in west wales i dont really get a problem on that front!!!

for me they are the mutts knuts il never see myself without one,ive had my bitch out beating two days on the trot and shes out again tomorrow,then hawking sat and sun,theese dogs get fit easy and once fit they go on and on and on!!!

a very versatile breed,my opinion is theyre woth more than they go for,at present i have a seven yr old bitch whose unfortunately gunshy,a six year old with a litter a pup at 8 months whos going to a friend in the next two weeks a fourteen month old dog,who is about to start his basic training a three year old bitch whos my main worker at present,im keeping two bitches back from the litter i have now.looks like the vizsla's are here to stay for now lol!!!

100_1675lilonpointcroppedandenha-1.jpg

i can tell you love your dogs mate! i never really liked having to take a harsher approach to training dogs, but i know it is sometimes neccessary. all i would want to use one for is picking up, pointing, flushing and general rough shooting. they sound fairly ideal as i like the sound of their soft temperament - shame ive got my hands full with my pup!

garypco; have you ever worked gwp or gsp's? if so how do they compare as pickers up and for english hunters? kiwi ranks them highly, but has a completely different need to me, would they be a breed worth considering?

cheers, matt

i can tell you love your dogs mate! i never really liked having to take a harsher approach to training dogs, but i know it is sometimes neccessary. all i would want to use one for is picking up, pointing, flushing and general rough shooting. they sound fairly ideal as i like the sound of their soft temperament - shame ive got my hands full with my pup!

garypco; have you ever worked gwp or gsp's? if so how do they compare as pickers up and for english hunters? kiwi ranks them highly, but has a completely different need to me, would they be a breed worth considering?

cheers, matt

ive had a couple of gsp's they didnt suit,i dont really like the gwp's although there are some great ones out there,check this link out my friend hunts and works them,he's a keeper in west wales!!!

http://s143390116.websitehome.co.uk/

i am slowly starting to like em tho ive chosen my breed and will stick to them its nice to have a bit of uniformity when out hunting,i dont like having loads of different breeds,the gwp and gsp's are a bit rangyer as well they tend to go out a bit,the vizsla is a much closer working dog just more suited to the way i do things!!! B)

Edited by Garypco
good looking dogs ;) that site said something about one of their gwp's trailing and dispatching a wounded fox, do you do anything like that with your vizslas?

id not rule it out but the bitches i have aint really that way inclined,the dog ur talking about it les's gwp bitch frankie,shes an exellent bitch goes everywhere with les dogging shoot days and pest control,i remember the day she took the fox in question les had been losing poults so he sat waiting for the fox,when it arrived les shot it but unnfortunately it ran off frankie hunted it for a fair while les followed and saw her catch it a fair way off once shed despatched it she retreived it as if it was something shed always done at the time she was quite young,since then shes had a few!!!

good looking dogs ;) that site said something about one of their gwp's trailing and dispatching a wounded fox, do you do anything like that with your vizslas?

id not rule it out but the bitches i have aint really that way inclined,the dog ur talking about it les's gwp bitch frankie,shes an exellent bitch goes everywhere with les dogging shoot days and pest control,i remember the day she took the fox in question les had been losing poults so he sat waiting for the fox,when it arrived les shot it but unnfortunately it ran off frankie hunted it for a fair while les followed and saw her catch it a fair way off once shed despatched it she retreived it as if it was something shed always done at the time she was quite young,since then shes had a few!!!

sounds like a dog worth having! did he hit the fox?

kiwi; is that the way you hunt(other than boar)?

sounds like a dog worth having! did he hit the fox?

kiwi; is that the way you hunt(other than boar)?

its one of the ways kiwi,this sitiation yes as it was a fox hitting his poults,it was raiding every evening within an hour or two,so by waiting at the site where the fox was killing it was abvious sooner or later it was gonnna walk into the gun!!! :laugh:

first up don't put the gwp and gsp in the same sentence, i don't like the shorthair they are tottally different breeds, gwp's, dd's, have been breed to kill verman, fox, lnyx, wild cats it's part of there breed standard and the in germany they must pass this test to be allowed to breed, i hunt them on fur and feather the same as any pointer and work them on deer the same as most deer stalkers, working in close. as both the viszla and the gwp's are pointers i would not be expecting them to be a flushing dog, get a lab or a springer for that. my dogs will hunt off a pig scent and cast out like a normal pigdog, just i chose when they can do it, simple task of reading the dogs behavior. i expect my gwp's to dispatch ferrets and wild cats when the come across them, we have no foxes in nz. keeping them off possums can be a mission i might add.

first up don't put the gwp and gsp in the same sentence, i don't like the shorthair they are tottally different breeds, gwp's, dd's, have been breed to kill verman, fox, lnyx, wild cats it's part of there breed standard and the in germany they must pass this test to be allowed to breed, i hunt them on fur and feather the same as any pointer and work them on deer the same as most deer stalkers, working in close. as both the viszla and the gwp's are pointers i would not be expecting them to be a flushing dog, get a lab or a springer for that. my dogs will hunt off a pig scent and cast out like a normal pigdog, just i chose when they can do it, simple task of reading the dogs behavior. i expect my gwp's to dispatch ferrets and wild cats when the come across them, we have no foxes in nz. keeping them off possums can be a mission i might add.

its funny you say that kiwi,we tend to use them exclusively as a flushing dog,kept to just flushing and hunting i guess they make a good type of dog although they make great deer bloodscenting dogs too,thought most pig hunters kept their dogs off deer as,a day out pig hunting could be ruined should a dog take a deers line?

god i wish i had the vast ammout of game you guys have!!! :blink:

no haven't got many pic's, will start takening the cam out a bit more, i usally take it out pighunting but the gwp's usally stay at home when pork is on the menu, will get some of them on rabbits as i'm doing a bit of that at the moment in between deer.