hungarian vizsla's

What you on with kiwi,shame for asking the question ?,i asked 'cos the topic of Viszla's came up while out beating on a shoot as the Head Keeper has some.I might be wrong here but i thought it was a ligitimate question,not trying to be a smart arse.

Most folk know what they would reasonably expect to pay for the traditional British breeds and as the vulgar subject of money has not reared its head i thought i would ask.

With regard to keeping your stock working, good on ya Garypco and good luck for the future.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a fair question it was too nelson :11: read my post again mate it was directed at lamping lurchers comment about shed load of money for a pup :whistle: as ya point out most gun dogs have a average going rate, it's the bit that stated 50-100 pounds to working homes that got my back up. in gundog circles money does buy you quality. it costs money to get that good working stock over from europe where the breeding is strictly regulated, to sell the offspring at a fiver so it could possibley get crossed with another breed and undo all the hard work done over the years is just dumb and not in the breeds intrest at all.

and a fair question it was too nelson :11: read my post again mate it was directed at lamping lurchers comment about shed load of money for a pup :whistle: as ya point out most gun dogs have a average going rate, it's the bit that stated 50-100 pounds to working homes that got my back up. in gundog circles money does buy you quality. it costs money to get that good working stock over from europe where the breeding is strictly regulated, to sell the offspring at a fiver so it could possibley get crossed with another breed and undo all the hard work done over the years is just dumb and not in the breeds intrest at all.

once again bang on kiwi!!!! il show you a thread i put on a forum not so long ago this was a series of pm's from an idiot on a falconry forum!!! who quite frankly took the urine!!! he was serious!!! but got did he deserve drownding!!! il put it up as a new thread as i dont wanna destroy this one it will get a few replies im sure!!! :clapper:

Fair one matey.I reckon i know what lamping lurcher means about the price though.Same thing with Border terriers in that you would not want to risk £400 on an earth dog for fear of losing it. :no:

Same thing with a £600 gun dog i suppose,i dont know i'm just guessing,

Smart looking dogs though. :signthankspin:

strange how a boarder terriers average price in the uk works out to be the same price here in nz, 400 pounds is $1200 our money and seems to be [bANNED TEXT] they go for here:hmm: vislas and gwp's go for about $800 so that would put those vislas at over $2000 :cry: i don't really worry about the cost of my dogs they all get out hunting and i have no problem using them on pigs as well, don't even bother with cut collars if they get killed{unlikey as they are very smart} so be it they are doing [bANNED TEXT] they are bred to do.

seen a couple of these around recently on the shooting scene, how do you guys rate them. of the vizsla's i've seen, apart from being beautiful dogs, they seem to have good noses and work hard. weimaraners seem to me like they'er abit more stubborn and want to do there own thing. any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks, matt

before i stard the terriers i had 2 vizsla's one out of hongarije end one breed here in honnand out of a show stud dog

i used them most of the time for rathunting and hare's and also sometime's gun work

the bitch a had was a great dog able to work every time of the year

i never did any training but the bitch i had was a smart dog

whe she ever se something of a nother dog she do it that way

the only problem i had white her was that there fur was not so good against the could

:icon_redface::icon_redface: Go on then i'll ask the daft question,how much does a pup go for ? :whistle: :whistle:

same as everything lol depends on what you want and where you are,prices vary from £500-£800,i have a litter here at present,both parents low hip scores,£650.

i can see you know what you are talking about mate, but thats a shedload of money! wouldn't you prefer them to go to good working homes and sell em at £50-£100 each? just seems like a huge amount of money, and as im sure you know, money doesnt guarantee quality. JMO

shame on you to question the cost of a well breed pup l/l. if thats the going rate and you want that breed thats [bANNED TEXT] ya pay simple. all my pups go to working homes and the hunters that grizzle about the cost don't get one of my pups, the purchase price is a tiny compared to the ongoing costs of keeping a dog over it's lifetime, it's all the ground work and expence breeding good quality working gundogs that chews up alot of money, selling pups will not make you a millionaire if you breed for working alone, ya might over a few years break even, key word might. 650 sounds like he has priced them to get them out in the field hunting which is where they belong.

thanks kiwi,thats exactly the way i try to do things,working dogs are my life,i generally only breed to keep a pup back for myself tho my plan is a new block of kennels wich is gunna cost about £3-4000 so all the money i ever make goes straight back into the dogs and hunting!!! cheers for the defence mate!!! :signthankspin:

im not having a go at you mate! i was just wondering why they cost so much money!

kiwi; i know how much owning and working dogs costs - and just for the record i wasnt feckin grumbling had no idea why they cost that price! sorry for coming across like that, didnt mean it like that at all :no:

:D:D Wish i'd never asked now :drink::drink:

So over to you fella from the land of the long white cloud NZ$2000 for a working pup ?

And Garypco i am not playing Devils advocate here,i think if you want a Working Viszla and that is the price fine,like i said earlier i know a bloke with a few and he seems very happy. :kiss:

I'm off to read all about VEESLAS now :clapper:

not really sure how the price of the different breeds come about but i would say supply and demand plays a part, naturally as a new breed gets more popular there is a price high then a price drop as everyone trys to cash in, then they settle at a level where the supply is in check with demand, this is where the vizsla is now in both the uk and nz. 650 is not too dear and is firmly set for a new comer to get a good quailty pup from a breeder that has spent time and money improving the mess which usally follows a breeds boom time, fresh new blood in the form of semen,new stud dogs or bitches can not be finaced by breeding 50-100 pups. money is not the reason why committed breeders do it, fact for every dollar ya get from the dogs ya have to spend 10 of your own, but over time ya may get some return even if it is by having your line out there doing it, thats satisfaction money can't buy. just curious how much ya payed for ya golden retriever L/L ? they cost about 800-1000 here for a kc reg one. i see the price of spaniels and labs in the uk is bloody cheap for working lines, i'm sure the show kc stuff is twice as much to buy as it is here :hmm:

not really sure how the price of the different breeds come about but i would say supply and demand plays a part, naturally as a new breed gets more popular there is a price high then a price drop as everyone trys to cash in, then they settle at a level where the supply is in check with demand, this is where the vizsla is now in both the uk and nz. 650 is not too dear and is firmly set for a new comer to get a good quailty pup from a breeder that has spent time and money improving the mess which usally follows a breeds boom time, fresh new blood in the form of semen,new stud dogs or bitches can not be finaced by breeding 50-100 pups. money is not the reason why committed breeders do it, fact for every dollar ya get from the dogs ya have to spend 10 of your own, but over time ya may get some return even if it is by having your line out there doing it, thats satisfaction money can't buy. just curious how much ya payed for ya golden retriever L/L ? they cost about 800-1000 here for a kc reg one. i see the price of spaniels and labs in the uk is bloody cheap for working lines, i'm sure the show kc stuff is twice as much to buy as it is here :hmm:

a golden retreiver will set you back abouy £350-£500 theres almost no working retreiver lines left now i personally wouldnt touch one with a barge pole hip dysplasia is a more than common occurence among other faults,spaniels and labs are cheap but theres two price ranges theres the working price range and the field trial price range,trialing bred dogs go for alot more money usually double.obviously because the working bred dogs are bred to supply the lads with stock where as the trialing stock covers a much larger market!!!

sounds like a similar story to nz, goldens have been out of the hunting field for many many years, we still have plenty of curly coats still working :clapper: the gsp has been bred to hell here and pups can be bought for a few hundred bucks, but they are terrible in terms of temp and trainabilty, crossing them is riff, lucky my gwp has settled to a very stable position, however the show breeders still pose a problem as they can see the dollar signs to finace there other choice of breeds, strange how show breeders usally have two types of dogs, one that has a steady demand for pups :hmm:

i paid £550 for mine and spent feckiin ages looking for her. i bought her off working breeders whose dog i have seen work on shoots and working tests etc. therre is a big problem with HD among the breed but her parents have very good hips and i didnt start exercising her till later in her life than i would of done with another breed. there are a few good workers out there, you just have to find the right breeder. does anyone else work one? if so how do you find their coats? i cut my pups coat every month or two, so that theres no dangling fur to pick up thorns, bramble, lice etc, but thick enough to stop her getting cut up.

:icon_redface::icon_redface: Go on then i'll ask the daft question,how much does a pup go for ? :whistle: :whistle:

same as everything lol depends on what you want and where you are,prices vary from £500-£800,i have a litter here at present,both parents low hip scores,£650.

i can see you know what you are talking about mate, but thats a shedload of money! wouldn't you prefer them to go to good working homes and sell em at £50-£100 each? just seems like a huge amount of money, and as im sure you know, money doesnt guarantee quality. JMO

Just curious why did you query the price of a vizsla when in your posting below you admit to spending £550 in the post below,just baffles me???

i paid £550 for mine and spent feckiin ages looking for her. i bought her off working breeders whose dog i have seen work on shoots and working tests etc. therre is a big problem with HD among the breed but her parents have very good hips and i didnt start exercising her till later in her life than i would of done with another breed. there are a few good workers out there, you just have to find the right breeder. does anyone else work one? if so how do you find their coats? i cut my pups coat every month or two, so that theres no dangling fur to pick up thorns, bramble, lice etc, but thick enough to stop her getting cut up.

seen a couple of these around recently on the shooting scene, how do you guys rate them. of the vizsla's i've seen, apart from being beautiful dogs, they seem to have good noses and work hard. weimaraners seem to me like they'er abit more stubborn and want to do there own thing. any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks, matt

before i stard the terriers i had 2 vizsla's one out of hongarije end one breed here in honnand out of a show stud dog

i used them most of the time for rathunting and hare's and also sometime's gun work

the bitch a had was a great dog able to work every time of the year

i never did any training but the bitch i had was a smart dog

whe she ever se something of a nother dog she do it that way

the only problem i had white her was that there fur was not so good against the could

Eric please excuse my arrogance for not replying to the post you wrote i simply didnt see it how i missed it i dont know????

What a cracking picture of a good looking vizsla mate a real credit to you and the breeder!!!

well that sort of quote just has me scratching my head mate, are you playing dumb or just having a go at garypco :hmm: seems you know alot more about looking for and buying a good gundog pup. bit hard to take a guy seriously after all that explaining to show his cards like that. ;)