I think I'm nearly there!

I think I might just be getting it right with my new reloads.

Reloads.jpg

Lapua Brass in 6.5x55, Federal Match Primer, 46gn of N160, 129gn Hornady SST, OAL .3080 and shot off the bi-pod at 100yds.

Isn't it nice when things go right for a change :thumbs:

ft

Would imagine you must be close to 2800 fps and a fair way back from the lands. I reload for a friend using the SST and N160 but 2 grains less than your recipe with equal accuracy but probably still further from the lands than you are (320 thou back !). Have 2 other friends and myself that shoot the 6.5 - cant rate them highly enough.

Peter

PS group looks good !!

Would imagine you must be close to 2800 fps and a fair way back from the lands. I reload for a friend using the SST and N160 but 2 grains less than your recipe with equal accuracy but probably still further from the lands than you are (320 thou back !). Have 2 other friends and myself that shoot the 6.5 - cant rate them highly enough.

Peter

PS group looks good !!

Peter, thanks! It has been my first ragged hole (ish) with my homeloads :boogie:

I have tried to get the bullet seated with enough depth in the neck to hold the bullet firmly, but far enough out to increase accuracy. I have tried many depths of seating and this one seems to work the best for me. I am still playing about with powder loads, I will not be going any higher with the weight of powder, if anything I will try and lighten the load!

I have not bought a chronograph yet so I cannot tell you my fps. According to my Lyman, Hornady and Lee reloading tables, given that my barrel is much shorter than the ones they used (being a 75 finnlight) I think I will be nearer 2600fps than 2800fps. I will have to try and blag the use of a chrono' from some kind soul.

ft

Edited by flytie

nice going mate but i would suggest a five shot group, to you see how things perform...

good going...

Snap.

Snap, why 5? With a sporter barrel will it not heat up too much with 5 quickish shots? I will try it though, next time I go out to play with my reloads, just to see what happens.

ft

5 shots will give you a clearer picture of what the reloads are actually doing..... most could achieve a good group with 3 but 5 will give you a better insight into what they are capale of...

also When chronographing your reloads shoot a 10 shot string as the info will be more accurate as to what average velocity is.... and es,

i always liked the 129sst in the 6.5 great deer round...

Snap.

5 shots will give you a clearer picture of what the reloads are actually doing..... most could achieve a good group with 3 but 5 will give you a better insight into what they are capale of...

also When chronographing your reloads shoot a 10 shot string as the info will be more accurate as to what average velocity is.... and es,

i always liked the 129sst in the 6.5 great deer round...

Snap.

Thanks Snap! I have never used a chrono so am not up to speed on how to get worthwhile results. I will have to ask round and see who has got one locally among the ingrates I stupidly call my friends.

I suppose I was using 3 shots because I was doing load development, 3 @ 45gn, 3 x 45.5gn etc. etc. It just seemed easier, but I will try some five shot strings now I am getting somewhere near accurate loads.

ft

Edit; I am using the SST's because a chap loaded me some up, when I was helping him with his fallow doe cull. They were very effective, but we were neck shooting.

Did you find carcass damage a problem with them?

ft

Edited by flytie

i nearly always neck shot my deer mate, but any round will do plenty damage if it hits bone....

ATB.

Snap.

Snap, I started off using Federal Powershok's (140gn) and they seemed fine, very little damage indeed. then when i couldn't get any Federal's I bought RWS Hollowpoints (140gn) and occasionally, just occasionally, they will make a real mess. Even if it's just a rib that they hit!

I will be interested to see what these SST's do on live quarry.

I see on another thread, it says people posting three shot groups should be ashamed of themselves. I take the lads point, but I'm too happy to apologise :tongue2:

ft

Edited by flytie

I have tried to get the bullet seated with enough depth in the neck to hold the bullet firmly, but far enough out to increase accuracy.

Ft - what makes you think a longer overall bullet length increases accuracy- just a casual question!!

Peter

I have tried to get the bullet seated with enough depth in the neck to hold the bullet firmly, but far enough out to increase accuracy.

Ft - what makes you think a longer overall bullet length increases accuracy- just a casual question!!

Peter

Peter, I tried to get the longest COAL because;

I quote from Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, "Most rifle ammunition produces best accuracy with the bullet seated so it almost touches the rifling. Few people know the reason this works so well. It provides a uniform start pressure."

Similar info in my other reloading books.

ft

it all depends on the rifle mate, some rifles like a jump back from the lands, and others like to be seated touching the lands,

most reloading books quote that for hunting rifles the SWEET SPOT is in around 20 to 40 thou of the lands, with most of the bullets i shoot i have found this to be true..

Snap.