Shotgun ammo for Foxes

I prefer 36 gram BB's, not really experienced any problems using them. Tried AAA, but I feel better with BB's. Know your limits, know the cartridges limits, keep the swing going. I like to keep range to 40 yards but have shot them farther out, but I don't recommend it.

BASC did trials on this and came out in favour of 3's. Which just so happens is what I use.

Patterned BB's in 36gm and 42gm (every make I could beg borrow or steal from mates) and they were very poor through any choke in my Beretta.

I am still using up the lead 42gm 3's that I used to be able to use on geese. They work for me, although it is only really when we are on the maize that I use the shotgun.

ft

I contacted three ammunition manufacturers, Lyalvale Express, Eley and Gamebore and so far (as of last week Firday) Only Gamebore have got back to me, I asked why some manufacturers make heavy fox loads odf 42, 46, and 50gm BBs but not in AAA, so here is Gamebores' response:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The heaviest loads we are able to manufacture in AAA or larger SG size shot is 32grams, as there is a limit to the number of pellets that can fit into the case. (For example a 70mm case will only take 9 pellets in shot size SG)

In order to make a load of 46grams of AAA shot, the case length would need to be increased, but a 76mm or even a 86mm case would struggle to contain that many large pellets. I’ve just had a quick word with our factory manager who tells me that it would be very difficult to make a load such as this work effectively.

Also, having spoken to our UK sales manager, it seems there is no demand for such a load, and you are the first person to approach us about it."

interesting I thought, though when I get a hold of some 50gm BBs, it'll be interesting to see how many AAA's fit in the space that 50gms of BB occupy (weight wise and number of pellets)

DB

Here's the response from Eley

Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry regarding shot sizes.

As in many instances, there are differing views on shot sizes.

Firstly, the larger the shot size – the fewer pellets. For example, in a 28g load there are 35 AAA pellets but 70 BB pellets – so twice as many BB as AAA in any given load.

One argument is that with fewer pellets, the pattern has more ‘gaps’ in it which means you have a lower chance of hitting a vital organ and ensuring a clean despatch.

Of course, the other view is bigger pellets have better knockdown due to their greater kinetic energy - but you could probably argue these points indefinitely.

Personally I would go for pattern and I have not had any problems with the effectiveness of BB or 1’s on foxes.

It’s also worth noting that when using large shot through tight chokes, this can cause considerable pellet damage resulting in poor patterns, potentially making them less effective.

We do make a range of AAA shot in both 12 and 20 gauge but only up to 36g, our 42 and 46g loads are only available up to BB.

I will look into the matter for you and give it some consideration.