New approach to gaining permission...

bit long winded so bare with me....

OK, most people who have tried to gain new permission from a cold start are using the time honoured 'Knock on door, mention vermin you have seen on land, ask about pest control, prove credentials, insurance etc, offer free service' approach. There is nothing wrong with this and if you play the numbers, it will eventually work, although, apart from ridding himself of a few bunnies and an extra pair of eyes, what does the land owner get in return for trusting a total stranger with his land and how do you know your not the 5th person that week to offer similar?

At the route of my job, I'm basically a sales person and as such have studied, to almost tears, the psychology of sales and the art of offering a chance in order to be given one in return etc.

On my way home from the office yesterday evening, stopping off for a sneaky pint and chatting to the the guys in the pub, I started thinking of a new approach to gaining permission and might have perfected it today.

It goes like this....

Approach a local Pub/ Restaurant/ Gastro pub (the pricier the better, but must be independent, not a chain)and ask them if they use local produce like Hugh Fernley Whittington from Channel 4 advocates.

If they say 'yes' (most will say yes to preserve the image) ask if they ever serve rabbit or pigeon etc. Again if they say yes, ask if they would be interested in you supplying locally reared, fresh, healthy wild wood pigeon/rabbits/rook/squirrel for free.

They will certainly be interested if they are traditional and if truly independent will always be keen to 1) advocate the use of local produce 2) Save money.

You offer your bag or a decent chunk of it on a 'I'll call you and offer when I have it, if you want it it's yours' basis (make sure the amount you say you shoot is kept realistic but up beat, eg 10 pigeons a go, 6 rabbits a go, etc not difficult for some of the regulars on here!). In return you ask for nothing apart from them putting £1 per item in to the charity box on the bar OR a local collection for the church roof/ scout hut etc would be better, make a note of which charity it is and make sure you leave your name written, THAT'S IMPORTANT!

'MADNESS' I HEAR YOU YELL... Stay with me....

Once you have that in place and the name of the person at the establishment to contact when successful (20 mins work max, if you know your local's well enough). Now you have 'The offer' in place to approach new land owners.

When you knock on the door of the land owner, go through the usual blurb of introducing yourself and about seeing plenty of whatever as you were driving past, BUT then instead of saying about the free pest control, simply explain that in conjunction with a few of the local restaurants (name them) you are raising money for charity and enjoying yourself whilst helping control vermin, by shooting wild rabbits/pigeons and letting the pub have them for £1 a piece, which they donate to charity instead of paying you. Explain you never see the money but trust (Name from pub) to make the donation and are keeping tally on the amount.

The land owner will like the idea. It gives them a chance to look supportive towards a charity whilst not having to lift a finger or shell out a penny and as they should certainly know the Pub etc. if not the person you name, it gives them a real scenario they can check on. Not only do you look trustworthy, but also a decent, stand up, charity supporting fellow as opposed to the complete stranger you where 10 minutes ago.

The Land owner gets his vermin cleared and helps make a generous yet free contribution to charity! What is there to say no to? As the idea is not done to death they might also suggest that you try other farms which is great as a recommendation, or indeed pass your name on!

I tried it on a farm near where I live this evening, as a result I'm going to have a look at his rabbit warrens in the next couple of weeks. One from one! He also suggested I try the farm in the next village but I think he meant my in laws and they already like the scheme!

Good luck if you use it, make sure you look the part (tidy) and that you make eye contact, speak clearly and are courteous.

Believe yourself that you are doing this to raise money for charity and not for your own gain and they will believe you as well!

• Like 1

ive just moved to a new area and need to get some new permision, its a small village with a posh gastro pub and a church that most probly needs repairs to the roof. It might just work haha! :thumbs:

good luck richard :thumbs:

regards

davy