Road legal quads

Who here has, or knows someone who uses a road legal quad regularly?

My car isn't worth putting through its MOT this year and I get the train to work, so I don't really do much driving anymore. Even less when I move house in a couple of months and walk to work.

So my question is, can you use a quad as a primary form of transport? Imagine how fun it would be, how useful it would be for shooting, taking the dog out etc. Good for parking in town too...so why not? What are they like on fast roads, could you take it on the motorway safely? I have seen people on quads a lot going fast on normal roads but never on a dual carriageway. Oh and whats the tax and insurance like? I don't mind spending a few grand if I can persuade the mrs its a good idea (shes 100% anti to motorbikes and refuses to drive me about to pick anything up so I hope a trailer would fix this)

Cheers

I can't say I own one, but have driven/ridden a few road legal beasts, and I use the word beast on purpose :laugh:

If they are taxed, insured and have the appropriate safety bits and lights then they can be ridden on anything, certainly up to dual carriageway. You can drive anything on dual carriageways and walk on them if you want, but can't drive tractors or walk along motorways. for example.

Not sure whether they are allowed on motorways, but certainly anything up to dual carriageway :thumbs:

P.S. might know someone who knows, see if I can find out.

Just had a look around with Google.

From what I can find out, if they have the right bits, then they are considered a car and can be used on a motorway but you'd need to be brave I must say!

There doesn't appear to be any new tests to ride them or anything, you can drive them with a car license.

thanks for that...you are making it difficult for me to not get one.

Oh and i pmed a guy selling a raptor today, bit out of my price range though...i reckon i can stretch to about £3k maybe more if i can defo convince my mrs its not a stupid idea haha

i just have such a romantic image of me driving around the countryside with a lurcher, my rotty and a terrier in a tralier...shotgun on a rack...ferrets in a box etc....glorious haha

i just have such a romantic image of me driving around the countryside with a lurcher, my rotty and a terrier in a tralier...shotgun on a rack...ferrets in a box etc....glorious haha

and its pi$$ing down with rain, you look like a drowned rat

or

its middle of winter, your nutts have withdrawn inside ya, and any white bits are going blue

:D:D:D:D

get a 4x4 with a lid on it, and heaters, your then imune to the above

Plenty are road registered, if you get agricultural quad, free road tax.Get shaft drive, chain no good for lot of use.

see honda , not so fast but very good.

if the mpg, tax and insurance are within reason that would help if anyone has any examples thumbs.gif

Don't do it mate! A decent quad will set you back a few grand. Get a 4x4 instead. Quads are great as an addition to but not instead of a conventional motor. No weather protection, no passengers (legally) insurance is expensive if it's used for commuting. No room for much stuff on it and very little security for what you can carry.

Tax is about £115 for mine, insurance £250 (1000 miles per year max) and you will also need helmet and leathers etc if you are seriously gonna use it as your sole transport.

Sorry for the reality check mate but use your head not your heart. Cheers, Dthumbs.gif

ive had 2 raptor 700 dont get a 660 you can go any were if there registered plg mine done 93 mph for your needs these would be no good your better off with a big red farm quad i didnt need an helmet and was legally carrying passenger

Edited by mick1212

ROAD LEGAL YOU CAN GO WHERE YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT FELLA,ITS A 2 AXLE RIGID BODY ON THE LOGBOOK,i blast up the m6 all the time to work,the summers coming theres nowt better on this planet,ive got an ltr450 absolute beast,get one and get your arse up toms farm do the widowmaker,lol,oh forget the raptors ltr eat em and shit em out lol

Edited by nailer

if the mpg, tax and insurance are within reason that would help if anyone has any examples thumbs.gif

Don't do it mate! A decent quad will set you back a few grand. Get a 4x4 instead. Quads are great as an addition to but not instead of a conventional motor. No weather protection, no passengers (legally) insurance is expensive if it's used for commuting. No room for much stuff on it and very little security for what you can carry.

Tax is about £115 for mine, insurance £250 (1000 miles per year max) and you will also need helmet and leathers etc if you are seriously gonna use it as your sole transport.

Sorry for the reality check mate but use your head not your heart. Cheers, Dthumbs.gif

Don't mind being realistic at all. I won't be using it for commuting, just maybe nipping to the shops or going to a friends house occasionally but mostly just a vehicle of leisure. The security facotr has bothered me though, i can look into getting a secure trailor...but the whole bike seems very nickable and I don't know if i will have a garage at my new house yet...

Anyway I am 22, I can afford it right now so if it doesn't work out I can sell it pretty sharpish without losing much. I think this is one of those things where common sense makes no dent at all, I wanted one when i was a teenager, I want one now and I want it before I am too old to enjoy it properly.

Plenty are road registered, if you get agricultural quad, free road tax.Get shaft drive, chain no good for lot of use.

see honda , not so fast but very good.

i think with agricultural listed you have to stay within a certain number of miles to the farm? a short distance too, and a certain number of miles a year?