Balistic tip "hunting"

I have never made it a secret about my dislike for these for use on roe deer.

While I will not argue they kill very well here is some very good reasons why I still wont allow clients to use them UNLESS they are buying the carcass.

This was sold and butchered by me for a regular client who likes to use balistic tips.

There was no bone hit on entry the range was 130m's and it was a 7mm "HUNTING" bullet.

Make up your own minds.

ENTRY.

RIMG0011-1.jpg

EXIT.

RIMG0008-4.jpg

OUTSIDE EXIT.

RIMG0006-3.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never made it a secret about my dislike for these for use on roe deer.

While I will not argue they kill very well here is some very good reasons why I still wont allow clients to use them UNLESS they are buying the carcass.

This was sold and butchered by me for a regular client who likes to use balistic tips.

There was no bone hit on entry the range was 130m's and it was a 7mm "HUNTING" bullet.

Make up your own minds.

ENTRY.

RIMG0011-1.jpg

EXIT.

RIMG0008-4.jpg

OUTSIDE EXIT.

RIMG0006-3.jpg

Its a 7mm what you expect a soft point could do that from what iv seen with the 7mm round & i amint knocking the 7mm its a good round the 7mm cartridges. Its finding that comprimize of a bullet that holds its retention but then its quite hard bullet that dose this & just punches through & dosent mushroom & like i have said iv seen a SP-bullet blowup like varmint rounds.I know the out side pic of the beast is basically dog food but i love the skinning did it fall of the hook? Sorry dont mind me i just hate deer skinned that are as hairy as they started skinning is hard work & keep up the good work.

It is hard to argue with evidence like this, but I'll have a try anyway :tongue2:

I do not use them myself, but i have seen my friend Gary use them to good effect in his 7x64 and not with huge meat wastage either. I have just processed two fallow does that were shot with RWS 140gn hollow points that looked not dissimilar.

Velocity seemingly plays a large part in this problem. Lew Potter reckons that when he uses his 45-70 (a very slow round) he can eat nearly right up to the exit wound there is so little meat damage. Gary downloads his 7x64 for accuracy and gets little meat damage. The Federal Powershok 140gn I used to use were slow and left very little carcass damage at all. The RWS are a lot quicker and seem to give more damage.

I think there is more to this than just, "all plastic tipped bullets are the work of the devil". I do understand where you are coming from, and you obviously see more deer being processed than me. So i can understand why you make people buy the carcass from you if they are using plastic tips. I am not belittleing your assertion, just wondering if that is all that the problem is.

Is it just BT's or Accutips and SST's and all the other plastic tips that are the problem?

ft

[Jon thats a nice picture mate i have seen that with a .222 sp i use sst and for me it is the round of choice it holds its shape and delivers enough energy were it maters in the beast.

I personally use and recomend Nosler partions any calibre any weight.

[Jon thats a nice picture mate i have seen that with a .222 sp i use sst and for me it is the round of choice it holds its shape and delivers enough energy were it maters in the beast.

I personally use and recomend Nosler partions any calibre any weight.

Edited by moose

Sorry last post was a mistake.

I agree Jon i have been using 165g partiton's in my .308 for a couple of years now(on red, roe, and fallow mainly)and can't fault them,i tried 165g ballistic hunting, because the gunshop ran out of the partitions ,after shooting two roe i will not use them again.

The first roe i shot,heart lung shot with the ballistic tips ran 80m before dropping,very unsual as roe normally drop on the spot with the partitions, but what was more unusual was there was no blood trail.

The second roe again heart and lung shot,maybe an inch higher than it should have been,it fell over as it was on a steep banking and rolled into some trees at the bottom, i thougth all i had to do was walk over and pick it up but when i got to the bottom i got a glimpse of it on its feet walking into the plantation.

It was a small area of trees, so i got my mate to walk round the other side and try and drive it out because at this point i was unsure where i had hit it.When he got to the other side the doe was still sitting up but not going anywhere and he shouted me round to finish her, she had went about 150m and this was about 15 minutes later and she was alive although obviously bleeding out with a high lung shot.

I don't think the 165 ballistics were expanding at all on the roe, i didn't try them on anything else as i was put off them, they may have performed better on the biggar deer.

Moose

What surprises me most of all with reading Topics like this is the calibres and loads of ammunition used......for Roe and Muntjac. What is 'stalking', getting as close as you can for a safe and lethal shot, using good field craft. These guys shooting from 200, 300 and 400 yrds, sometimes, seem to be using the calibres and loads to make up for their lack of skill in getting close and lack of patience maybe. I am not talking about highland or moorland 'stalking' for Red and large Fallow, but close cover and woodland, where the Roe and Muntjac are going to be.

These high calibre, heavy loaded and sophisticated rounds aren't necessary surely?......or am I showing my ignorence, having never been on an 'official' paid for stalk? have had my 'open' Fire-Arms Certificate for over 20 years now and have a .17hmr, .22, .223 and a .243, having stalked and shot lots of Roe and Fallow, with an occasional Red over the years (with the odd 'mugging'..admittedly) I haven't come across a situation where anything other than a basic solid Headed .243 with a small load was required and that is only because the law recognises .240 and above suitable. I know a guy who has shot a Fallow from 90 paces with a .17hmr, with a Head shot and dropped it instantly after a good 'stalk'.

Edited by Shamo

I would say the bullet did it's job! The shot looks to be a long way back on entry and quartering through the body towards the front?? it may have run a bit with a shot like that hence the big bleed, a quick kill won't bleed as much.

If the entry wound, at the fifth Rib was perfect, I think I am a little fussy when it comes to getting value for money out of my Round. To me, a safe Head shot, after a stalk and at as short a distance as possible is the 'perfect shot'. I want to use and eat the lot and give the Head to my Dog. I guess when it is a paid stalk, the emphasis is on guaranteeing a result for the client, but not having a carcass totally edible to Humans.

I saw a clip once where a guy was chuffed to bits to get a kill on a Roe Buck at about 100 paces off sticks....with a 308!!...lol.