BSA AIRSPORTER 22CAL

OPINIONS ON BSA AIRSPORTER 22 CAL FOR FIRST AIR RIFLE

Nice gun!! a bit on the heavy side due to all the mechanics of the extra metal on the underlever cocking system but a good powerful rifle, some of the earlier one's did leak a bit from the Tap but its cured pretty easy with the proper grease and seal....

They're easy to work on and and easy to mainstain and shoot good and accurate having a fixed Barrel, Personaly I have only ever had the S models in .177 but a pal had a Standard Airsporter many moons ago and didn't miss that much with his thumbs.gif....

Jasper

Well a lot of people still use them so they must have something going for them. Some of them look lovely, they are popular with collectors. Like most tap loaders they are pellet fussy. They take a while to load and they aren't very powerfull, about 10ft/lbs. As a first air rifle I wouldn't recomend one. You want a simple break barrelas a first gun. Not that an airsporter wouldn't be an effective tool in the right hands at sensible ranges.

Hi, mate.

Nothing wrong with an Airspoter. If it's working as it should, it'll do all that you could reasonably want. Old-school but still more than useful if you do your bit...

With practice they don't really take any longer to load than a break barrel and they're no more pellet fussy than most springers. The only thing you need to consider, pellet wise, is like most older UK made springer's is the barrel's are 5.6mm as most continantal and more modern stuff uses 5.5, so pellet choice needs to be made with that in mind.

The taps do tend to be a weak point, as has been said. They rely purely on a steel to steel fit, which is less than perfect and can wear in time. A little smear of graphite grease goes a good way to solve this.

Good luck with it, mate.

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968

there cracking guns i have one in .177 a mk6

its a cracking tool for getting the woddies in the trees in my garden

and the odd rabbits

im getting rid of it soon and id be be open to offers :thumbs:

oh edgar what do you mean by a novice using a break barrel

its nearly the same thing

pull under lever down same as the break barrel

but instead of putting the pellet in the barrel.. just put it in the tap loader

SIMPLES

Well I tend to suggest break barrel springers to starters, I started with one and so did most people I know. The advantages are that they are quick to load for people who haven't yet got used to loading pellets, lets face it it's quite a fiddly operation when you aren't used to it. As a lot of new shooters are younger then break barrels tend to be lighter although I know the air sporter is a lighter gun. They are also usually cheaper , although again probably not in this case. I would always recommend starting with a break barrel,keeps it simple.

Well I tend to suggest break barrel springers to starters, I started with one and so did most people I know. The advantages are that they are quick to load for people who haven't yet got used to loading pellets, lets face it it's quite a fiddly operation when you aren't used to it. As a lot of new shooters are younger then break barrels tend to be lighter although I know the air sporter is a lighter gun. They are also usually cheaper , although again probably not in this case. I would always recommend starting with a break barrel,keeps it simple.

maybe its worth him keeping his eyes pelled for a super meteor

or something like that

nice lightweight with more than enough power :thumbs:

The BSA supersport might be another one to keep your eyes peeled for. My younger brother had the carbine version years ago, nothing fancy just a solid, reliable break barrel.