are labs good gun dogs

dan 7

iam looking to get a lab for a retreaver for my airgun shooting but have some question need help with

1) can i keep in home or is it best to be outside

2) what color is it best to go for

many thanks dan

Colour is not an issue really. Working dogs should be always kept outside in a kennel.

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Well your entitled to youe opinion Swampy...............its a pity you are wrong!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Colour makes no real difference......but there are many labs from show stock out there...avoid them. Avoid dogs with huge nubers of field trial champions in the pedigree, as you might end up with a hair trigger dog......great in the hands of a skilled trainer, but not good to learn with.......if the parents are worked, you probably won't go far wrong......a bigger issue is whether to have a dog or a bitch.....both have plus ponts and minus points....As for living inside or out....that depends on what suits you....mine is a family pet as well as a gun dog....after all I went shooting 20 times last season, but Cadi, my dog is a pet 365 days a year. But each to their own.....

iam looking to get a lab for a retreaver for my airgun shooting but have some question need help with

many thanks dan

Colour is not an issue really. Working dogs should be always kept outside in a kennel.

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Well your entitled to youe opinion Swampy...............its a pity you are wrong!!!

Narrow minded, blinkered and bad advice to a newbie!

Each to his own but as quoted "ALWAYS"...................Nope, you're talking bollox!

Swampy

Intelligent ning

many thanks dan

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Each to his own but as quoted "ALWAYS"...................Nope, you're talking bollox!

Swampy

Intelligent ning

Could you tell me then why its bad advice? If he took mine and kept his dog in the kennel what benefits would he be losing out on with a dog kept in the house? Now to quote you................"YOU'RE TALKING BOLLOXS"!!

many thanks dan

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Swampy

Intelligent ning

Could you tell me then why its bad advice? If he took mine and kept his dog in the kennel what benefits would he be losing out on with a dog kept in the house? Now to quote you................"YOU'RE TALKING BOLLOXS"!!

You are assuming, as most do on this site, that because he's a newbie he's thick! How ignorant of you!

You..etc etc ....are also assuming he has the environment for a kennel. Please dont start on the fact that if he doesn't have one he shouldn't have a dog!

Some of the BEST dogs I've seen and worked with have been housed in a house. NEVER say NEVER. And never say ALWAYS.

Your ignorance and narrowmindedness (if thats a word?.........I'm raging to the point of grammatical incorrectness)

knows no bounds.

He would be losing out on time with his long term companion and working partner and the dog would be losing out in the same manner. The more time spent with his dog the better the dog will understand him and vica verca.

The best and most in demand "picking up" dog on our shoot has to be collected from the owners house. It sleeps at the bottom of the daughters bed. Just because you MAY have done it a different way doesn't mean its the ONLY way.

So in summary and at the risk (all calculated of course) of repeating myself. YOU ARE TALKING BOLOX!

Swampy

this ning has ended

many thanks dan

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Swampy

Intelligent ning

You are assuming, as most do on this site, that because he's a newbie he's thick! How ignorant of you!

You..etc etc ....are also assuming he has the environment for a kennel. Please dont start on the fact that if he doesn't have one he shouldn't have a dog!

Some of the BEST dogs I've seen and worked with have been housed in a house. NEVER say NEVER. And never say ALWAYS.

Your ignorance and narrowmindedness (if thats a word?.........I'm raging to the point of grammatical incorrectness)

knows no bounds.

He would be losing out on time with his long term companion and working partner and the dog would be losing out in the same manner. The more time spent with his dog the better the dog will understand him and vica verca.

The best and most in demand "picking up" dog on our shoot has to be collected from the owners house. It sleeps at the bottom of the daughters bed. Just because you MAY have done it a different way doesn't mean its the ONLY way.

So in summary and at the risk (all calculated of course) of repeating myself. YOU ARE TALKING BOLOX!

Swampy

this ning has ended

Ignorance and narrowmindedness for having an opinion.....dont make me laugh! What makes you so spot on on your judgements about working dogs brought up in the house to be the cream of the crop. My family have ALWAYS had kennel dogs and ALL have been great picking up dogs.

I gave my opinion on here and it is up to the original poster to take all the advice and see what works them.

Oh and please do not put words in my mouth either as i never thought for one minute that they were thick :censored:

many thanks dan

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

Swampy

Intelligent ning

knows no bounds.

Swampy

this ning has ended

Ignorance and narrowmindedness for having an opinion.....dont make me laugh! What makes you so spot on on your judgements about working dogs brought up in the house to be the cream of the crop. My family have ALWAYS had kennel dogs and ALL have been great picking up dogs.

I gave my opinion on here and it is up to the original poster to take all the advice and see what works them.

Oh and please do not put words in my mouth either as i never thought for one minute that they were thick :censored:

Your family has ALWAYS had kennel dogs. Good for you! If thats the way you want to do it? Fine.

Going back to the original thread that brought about your pointless and lame argument.

Working dogs should be always kept outside in a kennel.

Is not a true statement of fact and is based on a subjective point of view.

It is a view point BUT NOT a statement of fact. As such it is misleading. ERGO, BOLLOX

Ignorance and narrowmindedness for having an opinion.....dont make me laugh! What makes you so spot on on your judgements about working dogs brought up in the house to be the cream of the crop.

No, not for having an opinion, but for stating that your way is the only way when clearly it is not. I used a "guns" friends dog as an example of a "different way".

I have never said that they were "the cream of the crop" although this particular dog happens to be the cream of this particular crop. Please read the post correctly. I said "SOME of the best dogs......" NOT ALL!

I also have no objection to dogs being kennel dogs. I do not however agree to sticking to hard and fast rules with regard dogs. Each to his own, live and let live and all the other time honoured cliches.

An open mind is a doorway to greater knowledge. DO NOT PRESUME TO KNOW IT ALL. It will make you look foolish in the long run...........oops too late I fear

Swampy

this ning is always open to new ideas

• 2 weeks later...