are labs good gun dogs

dan 7

Well said theferreter, there is no difference in colours, as they can come from the same parents, Chocs can be a bit different but thats only because there is not enough working strains around yet, although i have seen a few decent dogs around recently.

But as for working with an air rifle i think a Lab will do a good job for you.

Dave.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

iam looking to get a lab for a retreaver for my airgun shooting but have some question need help with

1) can i keep in home or is it best to be outside

2) what color is it best to go for

many thanks dan

go for yellow as the blacks dont work :thumbs:

A young lad comes on for avice and you give him this :wallbash:

Iam not taking the p**s but to use a lab to retrieve at air gun shooting distance is a bit of over kill (no pun intended ) the labs i see work are used to collect dead or wounded game from 40 yards and up to as far away as a fallen or wounded bird can go fly run or swim and in my opinion its this type of work that they are bred for .I use a terrier to collect quarry when a shoot with an air rifle having said that yes labs are good (shotgun dogs ).seen all colours work well,i keep my dogs outside but if every one in the household sticks to your rules and don't spoil the dog then keep it indoors.atb.

Sorry to sound like i'm putting a dampener on your idea but...

I think before you think you should do a lot of research.You should know Labs are good gun dogs and are popular.

Also I'm not sure you will get as much out of your dog for picking up from air rifle shooting....

look at the breeding before the colour mate you want one that is of good working lines.... spend a lot of time getting your dog steady and super obedient dont rush it as most of the time it will be sitting and waiting if you do mainly airgun hunting... i have had lots of labs and love them but would go for black as they are easier to hide than yellow...... let it live in if thats what you want they are usualy good company once they settle down..... most of all enjoy it mate it's worth it

regards

john

ill have 2 question ur opinion on blacks are easier 2 hide. put a black and yellow against a hedge or forestry walk back 80 yards and tell me which one stands out more ull find out its the black even at dusk and dawn atb (i own 2 black labs because i find there just a little bit better but would love a good yellow lab )

i do know it is a bit of a over kill for a lab to pick up at air gun range but i shoot air rifle, work part time on a farm shoot and help beating and going for shotgun cert this year so will train to do all this have a friend that breeds lab and have a good and long working back ground so hope thiswill be ok

many thanks dan

look at the breeding before the colour mate you want one that is of good working lines.... spend a lot of time getting your dog steady and super obedient dont rush it as most of the time it will be sitting and waiting if you do mainly airgun hunting... i have had lots of labs and love them but would go for black as they are easier to hide than yellow...... let it live in if thats what you want they are usualy good company once they settle down..... most of all enjoy it mate it's worth it

regards

john

ill have 2 question ur opinion on blacks are easier 2 hide. put a black and yellow against a hedge or forestry walk back 80 yards and tell me which one stands out more ull find out its the black even at dusk and dawn atb (i own 2 black labs because i find there just a little bit better but would love a good yellow lab )

it is a matter of opinion but after training my dogs with ftc trainers and being in various gundog clubs i have found the blacks out number the yellows and chocs 100/1 and i have seen more headstrong yells than ever seen blacks.... take i line up of dogs running a field trial and see.... it is realy a matter of preference very few wildfowlers i've met use yellows it's just the way it is.. maybe all the yellows go as andrex puppy pets ..atb john

i have jst ordered a black lab bitch from good working lines, the breeders are the secretary to basc and writer in shooting gazette, they are both crufts judges. On colour they use black and yellow, they dont like chocolate and advised me that in their time as judges they have only seen 3 chocolate winners.They say they are harder to train.

Aside from colour i think that hip score is important, the parents to our one had scores of 5 each, both also eye tested ok.

If your going to put a lot of love, time and money into a dog get one with the best chance of good health.Make sure you visit the parents.

The reason i wanted a bitch is because they dont pee everywhere like the dogs and as less testosterone 'should' be easier to train regarding dominance issues.

The reason i wanted a black lab bitch is because that was the same as my first, and last dog when i was a boy.

I may have just opened up a whole world of trouble ahead of me, but i hope for a few smiles along the way.

ATB, Footu

I prefer black Labs for one reason and one reason only....so I can see them. In a tawny colored fall field of uncut wheat or buffalo grass, a yellow lab disappears quickly. But I always have a visual on my Black one.Especially crucial when directing on a long blind retrieve .Check the background in this goose retrieve Fisher is making.

post-41526-126774454882_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

iam looking to get a lab for a retreaver for my airgun shooting but have some question need help with

many thanks dan

Colour is not an issue really. Working dogs should be always kept outside in a kennel.

Bolloox

Swampy

frustatingning

many thanks dan

what utter shit mate colour makes no difference if they are off good working stock thats all that matters im on my 3rd gen of black labs but there grandad was yellow they were/are all good working dogs granny only died last year at the age of 14 going out on exercise till the day she died. check the hips and eyes of the parents then go for it. i only prefer blacks cause i do alot of wildfowling and they dont stick out so much but i would have no problem with a yellow.

Edited by Steve McHardy

"go for yellow as the blacks dont work :thumbs:"

you stupid dick . you obviously dont know jack all so dont bother commenting please in future :wankerzo4:

Get a sense of humour you plonker!

Swampy

Jestning

many thanks dan

what utter shit mate colour makes no difference if they are off good working stock thats all that matters im on my 3rd gen of black labs but there grandad was yellow they were/are all good working dogs granny only died last year at the age of 14 going out on exercise till the day she died. check the hips and eyes of the parents then go for it. i only prefer blacks cause i do alot of wildfowling and they dont stick out so much but i would have no problem with a yellow.

ITS A JOKE!

Jeez So many on here too up themselves to see life past their keyboard

Swampy

humorousning