Springer spaniel for rabbiting

Yes mate they are very good.atb dell

I thought they would be because of the amount of energy they have, do they catch many on a straight run though? I was thinking of getting a beagle but I reckon spaniels would be better for general rabbiting.

Yes mate they are very good.atb dell

I thought they would be because of the amount of energy they have, do they catch many on a straight run though? I was thinking of getting a beagle but I reckon spaniels would be better for general rabbiting.

You dont get a spaniel with the intention of catching rabbits their used to flush rabbits from cover to a waiting gun hawk or lurcher.The only time a springer will catch a rabbit mostly is in cover .atb dell

Why not ask this in the Gundog section. A spaniel is primarily a gun dog used to scent, flush and then retrieve shot game. All of the Spaniel training we do is geared at stopping them chasing. As soon as the rabbits is pushed out of cover and runs we want the dog to hit the deck or be still until the shot is fired and the rabbit knocked over, the spaniel then heads of and find the shot game returning it to hand.

Very rarely they will nail a rabbit in cover but we try to discourage this as it can make them hard mouthed - damaging game.

atb

Jai.

I wish I had springers years ago.

They are great wee dogs, mine works under hawks, comes beating, ferreting, flushes for the lurchers and catches more than her fair share of rabbits in cover, will never catch in the open.

Clever dogs as well, mine will chase rabbits with the lurcher but when out on her own won't touch them when beating.

They also have the added bonus of not going to ground.

Also easy to train, if you only have to teach one thing then get them to stop on a whistle, very handy.

got 2 cockers for rabbits mate very good dogs they do it all put the rabbites down mark the holes the lot my 4 yesr old even keeps an eye on the ferret so i dont lose her if she get out with out me seeing her he picks her up for me dont no were he had this from but its good. as for the 18 month old pup she is hard work but time will tell with her she can pick 2 ferrets up carry them around the house