Fed my dogs on raw flesh, bones & fat for a couple of yrs now with no problems. The youngest is around 20 months old & was fed this diet from 8wks with no carbs added just oily fish every week & he never had any problems with his growth/health. The doubters who say a dog needs carbs can quote all they like from articles but I've got all the evidence I need in my kennels to say they don't need carbs :thumbs:

newpup021.jpg

Max at 8wks

newmaxbaby026.jpg

12 months

Edited by CorkyJohn

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best and only diet a dog needs are red meat.. white meat.. vegatble (found within a whole carcass) bone and fresh drinking water........ a dog or wild animal doesnt need pasta in its diet at all..

Yeah... how many vets are going to say BARF... not many ill bet mate.... Dogs are carnivores pure and simple... Not italian scrotes with a penchant for spaghetti... pasta may do good things for a dog.

If you want to feed your dog pasta that is up to you but I will repeat again, a dog does not NEED carbs/pasta. Dogs can quite adequately manage to produce glucose from fats and proteins. You will ne

In my opinion pasta is not good for dogs. Will bulk the food up but then they miss out. Will not do them any harm either. What carbs do wild dogs wolves etc get. Stick to raw meat and bones and a little veg.

The dogs we use are domesticated and have been for 1,000ss of years so i dont think you can use wolves as a comparison.No ones saying feed them pasta day after day.I think we can know say carbs do play a part in the working dos diet.atb Catcher

In my opinion pasta is not good for dogs. Will bulk the food up but then they miss out. Will not do them any harm either. What carbs do wild dogs wolves etc get. Stick to raw meat and bones and a little veg.

The dogs we use are domesticated and have been for 1,000ss of years so i dont think you can use wolves as a comparison.No ones saying feed them pasta day after day.I think we can know say carbs do play a part in the working dos diet.atb Catcher

The only reason they play a part in a dogs diet is due to the commercial food manufacturers.

Using carbohydrates as an energy source has benefits for the manufacturer and consumer. Carbohydrates are less expensive and more readily available as an energy source than proteins. Carbohydrates are also essential in the formation of dry pet food. The starchy carbohydrates are used to add structure, texture, and form to kibbled food helping to create a product that is stable and easy to feed.

Dry kibble could not exist in its current form without carbohydrates.

Sandymere, without trying to bore everyone, quite simply do you believe that there is such a thing as carbohydrate deficiency in dogs?( Skellyb)

Yes if they are not being produced fast enough from fats or protein then of course there will be a deficiency the papers suggest that this would be the case and if stores are low this will affect performance. And my own piece I explain that just because a dog can do without carbs it does not mean that thay have to just as we can do without them , inuit diet, but how many athletes do you see on a carb free diet? Wolves aren't expected to carry out multiple sprints night after night so they can afford to replenish stocks over a number of days throught the less efficient process of changing fat or protein into glucose, hard working lurchers don't have that time.

If feeding a complete then there is unlikely to be a need to add extra carbs as these will be part of the complete.

I note you are unable to produce any evidence to the contary in the carb debate?

We can sit in the dark or we can use the advances in sports science to get the best out of our dogs.

WHEAT AND CARBOHYDRATES

The dog's digestive system has evolved to use carbohydrates such as those from grain cereals - but they must be appropriate. These should be from a variety of sources, be properly cooked, and not form more than one-third of a healthy adult dog's diet.

Sandymere, without trying to bore everyone, quite simply do you believe that there is such a thing as carbohydrate deficiency in dogs?( Skellyb)

Yes if they are not being produced fast enough from fats or protein then of course there will be a deficiency the papers suggest that this would be the case and if stores are low this will affect performance. And my own piece I explain that just because a dog can do without carbs it does not mean that thay have to just as we can do without them , inuit diet, but how many athletes do you see on a carb free diet? Wolves aren't expected to carry out multiple sprints night after night so they can afford to replenish stocks over a number of days throught the less efficient process of changing fat or protein into glucose, hard working lurchers don't have that time.

If feeding a complete then there is unlikely to be a need to add extra carbs as these will be part of the complete.

I note you are unable to produce any evidence to the contary in the carb debate?

We can sit in the dark or we can use the advances in sports science to get the best out of our dogs.

Jumping in again Sandymere.

I said Carbohydrate Deficiency and no, there is no such thing and neither (maybe you want to check what you wrote) can carbs be produced from fats or protein, I think maybe you meant to say glucose deficiency. :thumbs:

Evidence can be bandied back and forth as much as you want, as I said before it is just boring both for me and others but if you need some read Lonsdale, Hultman, Hill or Kronfield.

The only reason they play a part in a dogs diet is due to the commercial food manufacturers.

Using carbohydrates as an energy source has benefits for the manufacturer and consumer. Carbohydrates are less expensive and more readily available as an energy source than proteins. Carbohydrates are also essential in the formation of dry pet food. The starchy carbohydrates are used to add structure, texture, and form to kibbled food helping to create a product that is stable and easy to feed.

Dry kibble could not exist in its current form without carbohydrates.

You hit the nail on the head mate, only to suit the pet food market - Catcher, ur still wrong mate :boxing::thumbs:

I said Carbohydrate Deficiency and no, there is no such thing and neither (maybe you want to check what you wrote) can carbs be produced from fats or protein, I think maybe you meant to say glucose deficiency. :thumbs:

Evidence can be bandied back and forth as much as you want, as I said before it is just boring both for me and others but if you need some read Lonsdale, Hultman, Hill or Kronfield.

Hardly jumping in you asked me a question and I answered it lol.

Your trying to wiggle out with splitting hairs as you are unable to bring evidence to the table just bad science. Dogs are able to replace glucose, or if you want to split hairs even further glycogen, stores faster when utilising from a simple carb food than from a fat or protien one, all the evidence shows sprint type dogs do better times when a carb is part of their diet, if you have evidence to disprove this then please post it rather than keep wriggling lol, if not admitt your wrong I won't think any less of you.

Dont think any ones going to give ground on this.Maybe we should agree to disagree.atb.CatcherBut iam still rigth :laugh:

But it's such fun baiting the barfists lol, I look forward to a teabreak with coffee, choclat biscuits and a little born again barfist baiting, it make the day go so well.

Hardly jumping in you asked me a question and I answered it lol.

Your trying to wiggle out with splitting hairs as you are unable to bring evidence to the table just bad science. Dogs are able to replace glucose, or if you want to split hairs even further glycogen, stores faster when utilising from a simple carb food than from a fat or protien one, all the evidence shows sprint type dogs do better times when a carb is part of their diet, if you have evidence to disprove this then please post it rather than keep wriggling lol, if not admitt your wrong I won't think any less of you.

Thats just it you didn't answer and still haven't as you know that whatever science you use THERE IN NO SUCH THING AS CARBOHYDRATE DEFEICIENCY and therefore no NEED for carbs in a dogs diet.

You keep making the point re carbs being this and that but don't seem to get the point or admit that dogs do not need them.

Oh and by the way if its barfists you are after "baiting" then you are baiting the wrong person.

Edited by skellyb