1... sprint dogs.. ie.. greyhounds and whippets .. these tests have been done on the breeds which if they are lucky sprint all out maybe twice a week.

2.. sled dogs are perhaps the most calorie consuming canines on the planet.. no matter how hard you work your running dog youll never come close to what is achieved by sled dogs.

3. wolves will hunt all out for days if necssary burning god knows how many calories. Do they get carbs? no.

You can debate all you want about pasta in a dogs diet... Dogs are carnivores.. not friggin omnivores. atb stabba

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best and only diet a dog needs are red meat.. white meat.. vegatble (found within a whole carcass) bone and fresh drinking water........ a dog or wild animal doesnt need pasta in its diet at all..

Yeah... how many vets are going to say BARF... not many ill bet mate.... Dogs are carnivores pure and simple... Not italian scrotes with a penchant for spaghetti... pasta may do good things for a dog.

If you want to feed your dog pasta that is up to you but I will repeat again, a dog does not NEED carbs/pasta. Dogs can quite adequately manage to produce glucose from fats and proteins. You will ne

Dont think any ones going to give ground on this.Maybe we should agree to disagree.atb.CatcherBut iam still rigth :laugh:

But it's such fun baiting the barfists lol, I look forward to a teabreak with coffee, choclat biscuits and a little born again barfist baiting, it make the day go so well.

Barfists.... HAHA, love it. I prefer to think of ourselves as 'dogmen that actually give a shit about what we feed our dogs'

1... sprint dogs.. ie.. greyhounds and whippets .. these tests have been done on the breeds which if they are lucky sprint all out maybe twice a week.

2.. sled dogs are perhaps the most calorie consuming canines on the planet.. no matter how hard you work your running dog youll never come close to what is achieved by sled dogs.

3. wolves will hunt all out for days if necssary burning god knows how many calories. Do they get carbs? no.

You can debate all you want about pasta in a dogs diet... Dogs are carnivores.. not friggin omnivores. atb stabba

One of the quotes I used was based on sled dogs but we need to bare in mind the diet should be appropriate the the work ie taylored to need. The idea that an animal has got to be a carnivore or an omnivore is primary school biology, dogs digest carbs very well, they run faster when they're part of the diet, they recover faster when part of the diet and they are part of a wolfs diet so

Dont think any ones going to give ground on this.Maybe we should agree to disagree.atb.CatcherBut iam still rigth :laugh:

But it's such fun baiting the barfists lol, I look forward to a teabreak with coffee, choclat biscuits and a little born again barfist baiting, it make the day go so well.

Barfists.... HAHA, love it. I prefer to think of ourselves as 'dogmen that actually give a shit about what we feed our dogs'

If you "give a shit" why not let a little science and common sence in?

"Thats just it you didn't answer and still haven't as you know that whatever science you use THERE IN NO SUCH THING AS CARBOHYDRATE DEFEICIENCY and therefore no NEED for carbs in a dogs diet.

You keep making the point re carbs being this and that but don't seem to get the point or admit that dogs do not need them.

Oh and by the way if its barfists you are after "baiting" then you are baiting the wrong person.

This post has been edited by skellyb: Yesterday, 07:29 PM "

(Quote Skelly)

Sorry forgot to quote yours skelly so hope you don't mind a cut and paste. Now were to start how about were do I say dogs need carbs, I say dogs don't need carbs, as we don't, but they do better with them. It would be a good idea to read other peoples posts with an open mind rather than just to try and pick silly holes , i know you find them boring but sometimes it can be boring finding things out lol. For further picking please act in a more gentlemanly manner and rather than make things I havent said up please quote my posts thank you..

Now please rather than try to pick and wriggle out of answering how about showing us your evidence that dogs do better without carbs, please google psudo science before posting any rubbish stuff and compare what you post first as I hate for you to embaress yourself.

Regards s

Edited by sandymere

One of the quotes I used was based on sled dogs but we need to bare in mind the diet should be appropriate the the work ie taylored to need. The idea that an animal has got to be a carnivore or an omnivore is primary school biology, dogs digest carbs very well, they run faster when they're part of the diet, they recover faster when part of the diet and they are part of a wolfs diet so

Im willing to let science and common sense in, just the science i have read with respect to dogs doing better with carbs hasnt convinced me as of yet. However i did find interesting the bit you posted about domesticated dogs having evolved to better digest carbs due to most 'scrap' food that the dogs would get being carb based. But that is just a theory and not sure how much truth there is in it as for a start the figure of dogs being domesticated to 20000 years is pure speculation as fare as i am aware. Although im not saying the theory is false, just hasnt convinced me yet. Common sense and science leads me to beleive the best diet for a dog is a natural one, ie simulating a carcas, lean meat, fat, organs, partially digested plant matter and skin/hide/fur. Clearly dogs can do alright on high carb diets but all the best condition dogs ive seen have been on a predominantly raw meat diet like i have stated.

The comment about giving a shit was just a bit of baiting on my behalf, lol. Point some hard scientific facts (published papers etc by non biased nutritionalists) my way and i may question my beleifes... Unfortunately when it comes to dog nutrition there are far too many people with agendas and politics involved.

Born hunter the three articles I quote from earlier are pretty decent though one auther has links to a feed producer but both Robert L. Gillette, DVM, MSE and Joseph J. Wakshlag, MS, DVM (2004) ones are pretty good and independent, I would be happy to forward them on monday. As for feeding a " natural diet" how many athletes are eating a natural diet? nature isn't always best, I go into this futher in carbohydrate in the working dogs diet although much of the history must of course be conjecture it is thought out and reasearched as far as I was able. I'm sure you must agree that sled dogs need a different diet to racing greys to lap dogs to working lurcher to etc etc.

Regards s

Born hunter the three articles I quote from earlier are pretty decent though one auther has links to a feed producer but both Robert L. Gillette, DVM, MSE and Joseph J. Wakshlag, MS, DVM (2004) ones are pretty good and independent, I would be happy to forward them on monday. As for feeding a " natural diet" how many athletes are eating a natural diet? nature isn't always best, I go into this futher in carbohydrate in the working dogs diet although much of the history must of course be conjecture it is thought out and reasearched as far as I was able. I'm sure you must agree that sled dogs need a different diet to racing greys to lap dogs to working lurcher to etc etc.

Regards s

I personally feel nature is always best. To use the comparison of human athletes to lurchers/hard working dogs i would question what you beleive to be a natural human diet. It is widely beleived we live much healthier on a seasonal diet largely made up of carb based foods, fruits and veg, nuts, seeds etc with meat/animal fat occasionally as to simulate a natural diet where hunting would only occasionally produce such high calorie foods. We dont live on a solely raw diet because of flavour, cooking makes food more paletable (sp). Also on the human athlete comparison, there diets are very similar to what i have stated only more of the food groups their bodys require for such highly demanding lives, ie protein and calories to name to most obvious. Ive read a bit written by a very qualified individual on human nutrition for athletes and he, through science and experience, beleives that no amount or quality of suppliment protein/calorie shakes etc will ever be better than a well designed/planned diet based on real human food (eg fish, red meat, potatoe, rice, fruit, nuts etc). And before anyone starts preaching the wonders of man made food suppliment, ill state yes they are very usefull but only as they are convienient (easier to plan and maintain a near perfect diet and less to eat on a daily basis).

Im no food nutritionalist or anthropologist and so trying to fight the corner of the 'barfists' is hard. In my experience if each side digs deep enough, both will find 'scientific proof' that 'disprooves' the other. It all becomes a case of opinion and not scientific fact.

Can i ask what you feed your dog on and why you oppose a raw diet?

"Thats just it you didn't answer and still haven't as you know that whatever science you use THERE IN NO SUCH THING AS CARBOHYDRATE DEFEICIENCY and therefore no NEED for carbs in a dogs diet.

You keep making the point re carbs being this and that but don't seem to get the point or admit that dogs do not need them.

Oh and by the way if its barfists you are after "baiting" then you are baiting the wrong person.

This post has been edited by skellyb: Yesterday, 07:29 PM "

(Quote Skelly)

Sorry forgot to quote yours skelly so hope you don't mind a cut and paste. Now were to start how about were do I say dogs need carbs, I say dogs don't need carbs, as we don't, but they do better with them. It would be a good idea to read other peoples posts with an open mind rather than just to try and pick silly holes , i know you find them boring but sometimes it can be boring finding things out lol. For further picking please act in a more gentlemanly manner and rather than make things I havent said up please quote my posts thank you..

Now please rather than try to pick and wriggle out of answering how about showing us your evidence that dogs do better without carbs, please google psudo science before posting any rubbish stuff and compare what you post first as I hate for you to embaress yourself.

Regards s

Perhaps you ought to read your own posts first otherwise you might "embaress" yourself.

You prefer the scientific viewpoint which is fine, so when you say that dogs do better with carbs perhaps with this vast knowledge of yours you can point me in the direction of studies that have taken place comparing dogs with carbs and without, as without a true test how can the science be correct.

Yes it can be boring finding things out, probably why you didn't manage to google Lonsdale, Hultman, Hill or Kronfield.

Its simple no one is saying ram pasta or any other carbs down you dogs.If you prefer raw meat fine.All some of us are saying carbohydrates do play a part in a running dogs diet.So why all the fuss.

http://www.purina.co.uk/Home/All+About+Dogs/Health+and+Wellbeing+Dog/Healthy+Living+Dog/Getting+the+balance+right+nutrition+basics.htm

Regards s

I personally feel nature is always best. To use the comparison of human athletes to lurchers/hard working dogs i would question what you beleive to be a natural human diet. It is widely beleived we live much healthier on a seasonal diet largely made up of carb based foods, fruits and veg, nuts, seeds etc with meat/animal fat occasionally as to simulate a natural diet where hunting would only occasionally produce such high calorie foods. We dont live on a solely raw diet because of flavour, cooking makes food more paletable (sp). Also on the human athlete comparison, there diets are very similar to what i have stated only more of the food groups their bodys require for such highly demanding lives, ie protein and calories to name to most obvious. Ive read a bit written by a very qualified individual on human nutrition for athletes and he, through science and experience, beleives that no amount or quality of suppliment protein/calorie shakes etc will ever be better than a well designed/planned diet based on real human food (eg fish, red meat, potatoe, rice, fruit, nuts etc). And before anyone starts preaching the wonders of man made food suppliment, ill state yes they are very usefull but only as they are convienient (easier to plan and maintain a near perfect diet and less to eat on a daily basis).

Im no food nutritionalist or anthropologist and so trying to fight the corner of the 'barfists' is hard. In my experience if each side digs deep enough, both will find 'scientific proof' that 'disprooves' the other. It all becomes a case of opinion and not scientific fact.

I don't oppose a raw diet as such, yesterday mine had raw half a rabbit with a couple of handfulls of complete, in the morn it will be a pigs trotter, bit of lambs breast next day it may be a bowl of complete. What I appose is the idea that anything other than RAW is bad. Medicine isn't natural, glucose drinks for marathon runners aren't either but both are pretty good.

regards n

Now skelly stop wiggling and put up or shut up lol :blink: .

Regards s

I don't oppose a raw diet as such, yesterday mine had raw half a rabbit with a couple of handfulls of complete, in the morn it will be a pigs trotter, bit of lambs breast next day it may be a bowl of complete. What I appose is the idea that anything other than RAW is bad. Medicine isn't natural, glucose drinks for marathon runners aren't either but both are pretty good.

regards n

mine have been eating raw for the last few weeks

Regards s

regards n

Who's wiggling, I asked you with all of your scientific "knowledge" to show any studies or tests (especially the ones you are so fond of quoting) that have been done that ACTUALLY use both a non carbohydrate diet and a diet containing carbohydrate as without a TRUE comparision any scientific study is flawed.