Sign in to follow this  
poacher620

First wild boar

I am new to boar shooting and have been going to the hide constantly for a month to see when thay are coming out in the hope of getting one (no luck) then on saturday night i finaly got the chance to take my First ever shot at a boar , at a distance of 110 yds i shot my .308 howa and downed it straight away , left the hide only to find not only the one i shot at but a smaller one a few yards away hit with the same round.the big one weighed in at 237 lb and the smaller one at 158 lb. i will probably never manage to do this again but i am well happy 1 shot 2 boar :gunsmilie:

post-34473-126687811662.jpg

post-34473-126687818143.jpg

post-34473-126687819072.jpg

post-34473-126687820352_thumb.jpg

post-34473-126687821724.jpg

post-34473-12668782415.jpg

post-34473-126687825289_thumb.jpg

post-34473-12668782629_thumb.jpg

post-34473-126687827761_thumb.jpg

post-34473-126687828733.jpg

• Like 1

well done.

this happens more often than people think,rarely that both are killed.when the sounder moves in tight to feed its often difficult to get a clear shot.

in this case it went well,often shots through the tubular bone,snout and soft shots(belly) are the result. its worth spending a couple of minutes obseverving the sounder before the shot and another couple examining the "flight" trail of the sounder(preferably with the dog on a long lead) during the daytime afterwards.

that will give injured pigs time to get sick and or die.

from a trailingpoint of view its always worth checking the site on the next day anyway,as only then can you SEE the sighn made by shot placement KNOWN.this is invalueable when the shot is not known.

well done and get them in the freezer mate :thumbs:

waidmann

good shooting- never shot wild boar-not too many about here in Somerset

good write up with excellent photos- nice one

Les :boogie:

Cra* shooting.

The bullet often passes through the beast and a professional hunter always but always makes sure there is a safe backstop behind the quarry. YOU WERE LUCKY.

We might have been reading about this in the smellygraph if a jogger got slotted by uncontrolled splinters.

JMO

Cra* shooting.

The bullet often passes through the beast and a professional hunter always but always makes sure there is a safe backstop behind the quarry. YOU WERE LUCKY.

We might have been reading about this in the smellygraph if a jogger got slotted by uncontrolled splinters.

JMO

"bauern doublette"

waidmann

Hey good stuff mate thats awesome must have been a real buzz especially when ya got over and found 2 :clapper: I'd be pretty pleased with that keep you in meat for a bit too

Cra* shooting.

JMO

i've been shooting for some time now i'm not a- div pup -no all about backstops - and the backstop in this case is a 20ft bank with no roads bridleparths footpaths within 4 miles