• 1 year later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

right lads and lasses after reading this thread i decided with the aid of a joiner to have ago at making my own,heres a few pics          

Found my MAFF Blue Prints!   Click the picture below. Let it load up. Then, bottom right, hit the Expand button. It'll blow up to A4 size and ye can read it easier or even Print it off directly.  

like this

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So does any one have the size for the holes in the ladder and do you need to have wire hanging down across the length of the ladder to stop them seeing a way out thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got sizes measurements to make a small ladder trap to move around easier?

Just make it to the size you want mate just make it in sections and bolt together just like ikea style lol

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to make the ladder suitable to catch both carrion crows & magpies, or will I just need to make 2 different ladders, then spend a week catching crows followed by a week catching magpies?

I have all the plans in John B's Trap Making Step by Step, which gives a rung gap of 150mm for crows (& 75mm for jackdaws), but I'm worried that the magpies will be able to escape from a "crow ladder" as they are pretty much the same size as a jackdaw.

Basically, what's a good size ladder rung gap for a magpie? Is there a good way to catch both crows & magpies simultaneously, or should I go after each type individually?

Is there a way to make the ladder suitable to catch both carrion crows & magpies, or will I just need to make 2 different ladders, then spend a week catching crows followed by a week catching magpies?

I have all the plans in John B's Trap Making Step by Step, which gives a rung gap of 150mm for crows (& 75mm for jackdaws), but I'm worried that the magpies will be able to escape from a "crow ladder" as they are pretty much the same size as a jackdaw.

Basically, what's a good size ladder rung gap for a magpie? Is there a good way to catch both crows & magpies simultaneously, or should I go after each type individually?

Havent huge experience with ladder traps, but i have noticed that if you have hooded crows in your trap, that mags won't go in! But this is not the case the other way round!

If you catch magpies first, the crows will follow!

Maybe if you narrow the crow measurement a little, it'll work for both! I've caught both in the same trap with no problems, but havent a clue what the measurements were!

Maybe the key to the magic (of keeping the little buggers inside the trap, once you've actually got them to drop in) is in the design of the flaps that hang down either side of the ladder. It looks like I have lots more research to do, before I build my "Mk I Ladder Trap"... But whatever the funky bits are in the end, it'll still end up being a nice, modular design, with panels held together by bolts & wingnuts, with several ladders of different sizes.That means that it'll pack down flat when the job's done - perhaps I could really push the boat out, & make it so that it can fit into the back of an estate type car...

add a floppy ring of rind of wire around the inside of the ladder...about 18" deep so they cant get out no matter what

Perthshire Keeper: can you explain the "floppy ring of rind of wire around the inside of the ladder" in a bit more detail please, as I can't quite picture it & I'm not sure what you mean - as I really like the sound of "cant get out no matter what"...! Cheers.

• 11 months later...

Here's a little ladder trap we had in operation last year , we left it open for a few weeks till they got used to it , baited with pellet and then set it . Emptied it after dark apart from half a dozen to get it running the next day ..probably had 300+ over a couple of weeks , then moved it to the other side of the farm and did the same .post-81636-0-31835400-1454527693_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Built ours onto an old caravan base, about12x8.

Four corner posts and chicken wire with a door.

Wire tube from top to about a foot from base 3foot wide at top down to about 18 at bottom.

Tow it round to various parts of shoot and cought mainly crows and magpies, simple and very affective