hi guys, i have finally finished building my ladder trap on sunday and have baited it with the roof off but was thinking because i built the trap in wood i have set it in is it likely to work or should i think about moving it?

because went down there this evening and had a look from a distance but it looks as if nothing has been near it.

so what do you think?

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

right lads and lasses after reading this thread i decided with the aid of a joiner to have ago at making my own,heres a few pics          

Found my MAFF Blue Prints!   Click the picture below. Let it load up. Then, bottom right, hit the Expand button. It'll blow up to A4 size and ye can read it easier or even Print it off directly.  

like this

Posted Images

H&J

Bird lands on the top and perches. Has a look round, drops through the hole with it's wings folded and flutters down.

On the way back it's trying to fly - wings outstretched - doesn't fit.

• 2 weeks later...

From the plans on here they're pretty big traps, as long as the basics were there i.e gap they go through stays the same would it work smaller? say 4x4ft?

Also is there a point i'm missing to the sloping roof? would a flat roof with same ladder set up work?

• 5 weeks later...
Just started building a much small version for my corvid friends :laugh:

daunker Bet it took you ages to ring all there necks :laugh::laugh:

To be honest mate but i wouldn't recomend ringing corvoid necks.. i had a hell of and infection trying to remove a big old crow from a Larson trap with my hands once. Had to have jabs and the wrks. Wasn't wearing gloves mind :stupid:

Do any of you know if a ladder trap would work wit starlings and grackles?

NTTF

Yes it would only the gaps at the ladder section would need to be adjusted, for the much smaller size of the target species, and get the bait right. Have a look at birddamage.com, also worth looking at US web sites about Purple martins, where they have counterbalance repeating traps, there are repeating sparrow trap on ebay can be adjusted.

Hope this helps

Talpa

Guest little_lloyd

:laugh: I think iwill avoid the corvids mobbing me whilst in the 'neck ringing prosess' and simply put a shot to them insted.

Anyone know the mesurments for the ladder bit??? Just about to finnish withoutthe mesh this weekend :D

• 2 weeks later...

what size is the ideal size for the gaps in the ladder between the rungs, and for daunker if you didnt fit a ladder what size gap did you have? and also instead of a ladder would fitting some pignetting(fenceing wire) be any good, look forward to replies ;)

what size is the ideal size for the gaps in the ladder between the rungs, and for daunker if you didnt fit a ladder what size gap did you have? and also instead of a ladder would fitting some pignetting(fenceing wire) be any good, look forward to replies ;)

I made a couple of crow cages out of pheasant pen sections 12 x 6 foot with a strip of platic coated pig netting down the middle of the top for entry and they worked ok, but a purpose built ladder seemed to do better, especially when you add the curtains of mesh otherwise some of your captives will simply fly back out again especially jackdaws.

Jackdaws, magpies and jays will also use a funnel side entrance so it is worth putting one of those in at one end at least.

OTC