best dog for first time

hi all

i just want your opinions if possible.

ive always enjoyed shooting only this year ive be involved beating etc and have decided to get a gun dog myself. my partner already has a cocker however hell only work for him.

i just wondered what breed you lads and lasses would say would be the best for me as it will be my first gundog??

any help appreciated

:signthankspin:

jayne

Guest scraget05

work out what you do the most of! picking up,beating,etc if you want a peg dog or a dog for picking up go for a well bred lab but if you want a dog for beating try to find a nice spaniel!! good luck and what ever you have put sum pic,s up and show us good luck mate :D

thanks for all your advice its all helpful and very much appreciated.

i mainly do beating but would look into picking up abit if i had a dog to take.

since my partner has a spaniel i will go along them lines a would of thought, but thanks for your advice anyway.

if anyone nos where theres any good pups id appreciate it if you could pm me.

thanks again

jayne

Hello i have & can work 3 lab's at a time & im looking for a cocker posible 2 & a springer & hope to get another lab out 1 of my bitches soon as i breed my own lab's.I prefer the beating & my lab's go through bramble's etc they will work any thing if you work them right but can suffer round the eye's/ear's etc with bramble's & stuff but make a good first dog even beating.Picking up can make dog'd very wild you need to be able to train to quite a high standard if you wish to keep it steady ie running in & stuff.

Hello J.Jone's i work 2 normaly now 1 dog is semi retired i prefere beating havent trained my dog's to be steady for picking.My older 2 made a good team & i could but i have a 21/4yrs old bitch now & a weak like in the team but she was gun shy got a scare as a pup but worked like s**t so i took her beating & she's ok with beating etc but cant shoot over her.Im a bit sort of good dog's now as my main 1's are getting old but they are no bother 3 of in the beating line.Im north east angus & go 2 1 or 2 shoot's.PM me your name & i will tell you more good chance we could know each other. :blink: