net making with jute

dj.chapman

my girlfriend bless her has been trying for a while to find me some true hemp to make some more purse nets but to no joy, everywhere has told her that jute is the new hemp and is nearly as good. i went out sunday and found a spool of this jute in 3ply and was thinking of trying it, what i want to know is has anyone else tried it and if so how good is it and how long do the nets last. if they dont last very long or the quality of the nets is poor i wont bother.

cheers

my girlfriend bless her has been trying for a while to find me some true hemp to make some more purse nets but to no joy, everywhere has told her that jute is the new hemp and is nearly as good. i went out sunday and found a spool of this jute in 3ply and was thinking of trying it, what i want to know is has anyone else tried it and if so how good is it and how long do the nets last. if they dont last very long or the quality of the nets is poor i wont bother.

cheers

get a small ball make a6mesh x6 long sample stick it out in the weather dry it stick it out in the weather see how long it lasts iff its any good make some a think iff you dont try you wont know

Hi mate

To be honest I've never used jute because that's the stuff garden centres sell as garden string and it never seems to last very long .

The hemp that you can buy now is probably as good as it's going to get and many people don't like it because it has to be dried after use .

If you do like hemp try using the treated stuff from Bridport, it's nice and easy to tie and does last longer, I've got some into thier 5th season - no problem . Failing that Bridport sell a poly/linen mix which looks very much like hemp, a bit lighter, performs just as well in the field and doesn't rot.

Hope this helps

ATB

shops will say anything to get your money so ignore their sales pitch, jute twists up badly when wet and is very inferior to good hemp, the ''new hemp'' to quote you has been around for donkeys years and is no good at all for net-making.