why do deer stalkers charge so much

ive been trying to buy a few days munty + cwd stalking but every one ive contacted they want a daily rate plus £60 / £70 for culls/does this seems to me a rip off. i dont mind paying if you shoot a nice buck but i cant get to grips with the fee for culls / does they want enough for the daily rate to start with. in the past ive taken guest out for a mate and they were only charged a daily rate, if they only shot culls /does, but if they shot a nice buck then he would charge them accordingly. he never ripped anyone off i know some of them have to pay for the stalking rights but the prices some are asking is ridiculous. well my rant is now over

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it must be difficult for some stalkers as they will make their whole yearly earnings just from stalking and have to charge enough to make a living!

I'm lucky it's just part of my bussiness and most of my money is made elsewhere.

Somebody must be willing to pay their prices or they wouldn't be in bussineess for long?

Cheers,

Mark.

simply because people will pay it! I dont agree with trophy fees etc, it should be a straight forward price, if you happen to get an old shootable medal/good buck then why should you pay more for it! It should be costed for the day or agreed cull animals to be taken. When i've taken people or gone on another patch of ground its always been paid for by the day not any of this trophy fee bollox....trophy fees are simply greed rather than herd/population management :thumbdown:

You never said £200 did you?

What are you shooting for £200?

i am not shooting anything for £200 but they want £140 daily rate then £60/£70 a cull/doe my mate pays 7k a year and still only charges a daily rate for culls/does

Apart from wages spiraling fuel and vehicle costs just go online and get a quote for public liabilty then mention firearms they will laugh at you.

Get 1 to take you seriously then say its not for you only but to have someone to follow you with a loaded gun.

Take the quote and weep.

On top why should we work and not expect to make some profit after tax.

The better we do (for you) the more tax we pay.

Its business boys no different to any other.

Yes you pay to help with a cull but if we went into the field without you we would shoot far more deer.

If you can get it cheap get it but ask yourself this IS HE INSURED FOR ME, as if you pay him your own insurance isn't worth a jot. He has to be covered for you as a paying guest.

Even his truck needs to be on a commercial insurance as you are a paying guest.

Where does all this money come from to cover all these costs not mentioning leases.YOU.

You're not just paying for the few hours out with the stalker, you're paying for the knowledge and experience to give you the best chance to be in the right place at the right time. Not only this but the countless hours spent on the ground prior to the trip to be able to get you what you're after. Its not cheap but if you don't have your own land you don't have much choice. Although some outfits no doubt get a bit too 'commercial' I'm all for the countryman trying to make a living from the land.

Do you know where to find sympathy...........its between shit and syphillis in the dictionary :tongue2:

I can't afford (17 year old twins will do this to you) to pay to go stalking for medal stuff or culls, but am fortunate that I have negotiated the right to stalk over some land locally. Stop whinging and save up like the rest of us.

ft

i go with my mate but theres only fallow and roe i dont mind the daily rate its £60/£70 on top to shoot culls /does :wallbash: if there were muntys + cwd on my mates ground i would not be looking els where

Think you will find as far as CWD are concerned because they are not so widespread as other deer, costs for them are generally higher.

Anyway back to your winge.........go sit in front of a solicitor for an hour's chat if you want an idea of what fees are......and he does not even have to get up early or leave his seat

Suggest you re read John Robbo's post again - puts it into perspective

ive been trying to buy a few days munty + cwd stalking but every one ive contacted they want a daily rate plus £60 / £70 for culls/does this seems to me a rip off. i dont mind paying if you shoot a nice buck but i cant get to grips with the fee for culls / does they want enough for the daily rate to start with. in the past ive taken guest out for a mate and they were only charged a daily rate, if they only shot culls /does, but if they shot a nice buck then he would charge them accordingly. he never ripped anyone off i know some of them have to pay for the stalking rights but the prices some are asking is ridiculous. well my rant i

If you want to PM me I can give you the number of a guy in Bristol that charges £140 for a cull day regardless of numbers shot. Roe mainly but also fallow and muntjac.

Edited by yorksjt

ive been trying to buy a few days munty + cwd stalking but every one ive contacted they want a daily rate plus £60 / £70 for culls/does this seems to me a rip off. i dont mind paying if you shoot a nice buck but i cant get to grips with the fee for culls / does they want enough for the daily rate to start with. in the past ive taken guest out for a mate and they were only charged a daily rate, if they only shot culls /does, but if they shot a nice buck then he would charge them accordingly. he never ripped anyone off i know some of them have to pay for the stalking rights but the prices some are asking is ridiculous. well my rant is now over

its a shame you live so far, i would sort a small amount of stalking for a fraction of them costs.