Shot this crow with .22 rimmy at weekend.........................only had half its top beak and was wearing a ring from the Natural History Museum in London :cry:

Anybody ever shot any other ringed birds and what is the craic with them??

btocrow001Small.jpg

btocrow002Small.jpg

Guest Geordie

I believe it is a £50,000 fine for shooting them 'special' ringed crows [bANNED TEXT] and a reward of £10,000 to anyone with info leading to the succesful apprehension of said shooter :11: ;)

We get quite a lot of woodpigeon up here with the same rings as well. If you send the ring back to them, they'll get back to you and let you know where it was ringed, clutch size, etc...

Guest vim

Spot on there Dicko .. I sent a ring back off an unfortunate Heron which had been blasted at a fishery near on 25 years ago.

They sent a slip of paper with the guy`s name who had rung the birds and exactly where the nesting site was. Which was the Gailey Pool trout resevouir and how old the bird was along with other information.

Intresting stuff if that floats you boat as some weirdo would put it :blink:

i have had a few in my time... :icon_eek: loads of canadas, the odd jay..etc....have found rings on other birds that we have found dead...stock dove, blackie,heron,thrush....once shot a starling with one...had loads from "lost" racers that have been shot accidentally whilst they were in old buildings with ferals...found a few gulls with them...one from norway :icon_eek:

Hi foxhunter,

even if you shot it, its a vermin species, I have rung for the BTO, if you sent the ring details in, you can do this online, you will get a complete breakdown of the history of the bird, where the nest was, age, name of the ringer etc, all interesting stuff. When you send it in, it usually takes a while for the info to come through, but it will......