whats the best 4x4 for lampin

Unless your lamping in oz, the u.s or somewhere else with real big land, why do you need a 4x4? JUst wondered if you genuinely need it or just cant be assed to walk?

No offense meant . . . . i just wondered why you (or anyone else on here) feels they need one. To me it doesn't make much sense with the dog, but is a useful tool when lamping to shoot with the rifle.

atb

Jai.

NOT EVERYONE HAS PERMISSION, WHO WANTS TO BE CAUGHT IN FIELD.DOGS CAN BE TRAINED AROUND MOTOR, MINE ARE 'SLIPPED' BY JUMPING OUT WINDOW WHEN I LET IT DOWN, JUMP BACK IN AS WELL. GOOD FOR FOXING, GET ON EM QUICKER. ALSO IF TOUGH RUN, YOU DONT LOSE TARGET IN BEAM. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY, LAMP, BATTERY, AND YOR KILLS, PLUS HOLD DOG LEAD. BATTERIES NEVER GO FLAT OR DIM.I DRIVE AROND FIELDS, BUT ON TRACKS OR STUBBLE, COMMON SENSE MATE WERE IN 21ST CENTURY, WHY MARCH FIELDS?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your lamping in oz, the u.s or somewhere else with real big land, why do you need a 4x4? JUst wondered if you genuinely need it or just cant be assed to walk?

No offense meant . . . . i just wondered why you (or anyone else on here) feels they need one. To me it doesn't make much sense with the dog, but is a useful tool when lamping to shoot with the rifle.

atb

Jai.

NOT EVERYONE HAS PERMISSION, WHO WANTS TO BE CAUGHT IN FIELD.DOGS CAN BE TRAINED AROUND MOTOR, MINE ARE 'SLIPPED' BY JUMPING OUT WINDOW WHEN I LET IT DOWN, JUMP BACK IN AS WELL. GOOD FOR FOXING, GET ON EM QUICKER. ALSO IF TOUGH RUN, YOU DONT LOSE TARGET IN BEAM. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY, LAMP, BATTERY, AND YOR KILLS, PLUS HOLD DOG LEAD. BATTERIES NEVER GO FLAT OR DIM.I DRIVE AROND FIELDS, BUT ON TRACKS OR STUBBLE, COMMON SENSE MATE WERE IN 21ST CENTURY, WHY MARCH FIELDS?

I agree with you

• 3 weeks later...

atb

Jai.

YOU WANT TO PACK UP THEN OUR SHOOT AND NEIGHBOUR GETS FOLK RIDING 4X4S ON SOWED FEILDS LAMPING POACHING PISSES ME OFF ONE NIGHT WE SEEN SOME THINK STILL RUNNING NOW WAS FOX NEAR THEM WAS SHOT WITH BIG RIFLE NO MODERATER THINK THERE WAS SHIT IN THERE PANTS :whistling: DABBER Edited by DABCHICK

A quad it's the way forward !

spot on ross.....

what crazy talk of discos...land crusers and land rovers..ect..

they just cut the place to rags....just before they get stuck....

a quad is quick....agile....and you have total freedom to shoot...

But you get wet if its raining ;)

lol most people have totaly avoided his question, he never said should i drive or walk, he asked what the best 4x4 was for doing it in so lay off with calling him lazy maybe?? its each to their own n all that jazz.

anyways i go round in a lwb shogun atm, its never got stuck yet but im looking to change it in for something a little less juice thirsty and was looking at maybe the new swb jeep cherokee's?? trouble i find is getting the ground clearance, ive got a 2in lift on the shogun and that clears everything but most modern 4x4's would struggle with a little ditch.

of course this all depends on your budget but always set-aside some cash for a good set of tyres, get them sorted and you will get most places.

in my personal opinion, the very best lamping 4x4 would have the following

1: soft top to remove and shoot freely from

2: double cab(put kills in rear bed)

3: seats in back of cab removed, for standing up/ and for dogs and seats replaced with a custom gun safe/seat

4: petrol engine, its quieter than diesel

5: automatic gearbox

6: good mud pattern low ground pressure tyres, the 16" wide floatation type

7: rear brake light on a switch (turn off while lamping)

8: split charge battery charger or 2 alternators, to lamp of 1 battery only

so by my reckoning, the perfect 4x4 for the job would be an early land rover 110 double cab, rag top, with either 2.5, or 3.5 v8 petrol engine lol