Funny looking crow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a female sparrowhawk in first pics and a buzzard in the second lot - not a goshawk or kestrel in sight!   OTC

yellow eyes makes me think its a female sparrowhawk

Definately a Sparrow hawk that, and with the size of it a female one. Female sparrow hawks are twice the size of the males.   Goshawks have got more barring on their chests and are bigger birds alto

Posted Images

as otc said its a female spar no ifs or buts,and if theres a few around your area john,well that means theres a thriving songbird population,as we all know if theres no songbirds then there wont be any spars either :thumbs:

Going on Polecats pics, definitely a female.

The sparrowhawks arrived a few year ago now. We did remark on them at the time. If the songbirds were doing well then, they're doing better now with all the maggies and greycrows we've removed.

as otc said its a female spar no ifs or buts,and if theres a few around your area john,well that means theres a thriving songbird population,as we all know if theres no songbirds then there wont be any spars either :thumbs:

The sparrowhawks arrived a few year ago now. We did remark on them at the time. If the songbirds were doing well then, they're doing better now with all the maggies and greycrows we've removed.

It's good to see your efforts having an effect like that John. :yes: A few years back me and a few other lads on the estate went on a bit of a corvid cull with the air guns, pissed off with seeing the maggies and crows hunting the hedges for nests. The number of corvids dropped dramatically, not so much because we shot them in huge numbers, but more so because they were smart enough to realise that it was dangerous for them to be in certain areas.

After the next winter, the number of blackbirds on the estate exploded and we started seeing other birds such as greenfinches about the place.

That was about 4 years ago and since one of the lads has moved out, one has lost interest in shooting & I'm between guns. The crows and maggies are sadly back in huge numbers. :(

keep up the good work john :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

It's a goshawk

:icon_eek: Those gosses must be well undernourished then

But i bow to your knowlege :laugh:

If i had to stake money it, i would bet that was a sparrow hawk, looking at the size, i would also bet that it was a cock sparrow hawk, but as i say, you knows best :laugh:

its a female spar males are much smaller and a different colour