decoying over rape

was out today, field was blue when we got there but waste of time, fire once and there all gone. shot two all day. going to knock it on the head until april/may when the flocks break up, maybe do a bit of roost shooting to fill in the time

went out today, had 22 over the decoys, loads about but not many coming in, those that did were suicidal, we went on the roost after, absolute crap, no wind, 6 guns out on the roost, I had 4 the others didn't have any, did ya Mr Yeates LOL

is it just me or is enyone else having trouble getting birds to decoy over rape at the moment

i know it can be a bit of a bugger sometimes but this year on my permisson it is getting harder there is no shortage of pigeons either as you can find them on the fields in there hundreds but as soon as you fire one shot they are gone to the next field and wont come back only the odd one here and there all i do is end up chasing them about.even the flight lines are not that clear

in the last 5 outings i have only had 36 pigeons thats bad.

im not a bad shot either :11:

is there enything can i do to get them ??????? or just sit it out and wait for things get better :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I am new to this decoying and only been out twice, me and 3 more guns seem to be having the same problem, am i expecting to much?? some people are having the same problem looks like, loads pigeons everywhere i only shot 8 on Saturday & was out all day!! i look in some magazines and people have bags of 400 -500 ??

is this possible in Somerset?? i have just registered today to this site and looks like loads of information and it's what i need.

Decoying over rape is usually grim.

Big fields and a lot of em for the birds to choose from.

Years ago there were bags of 300 reported locally but we found out that the 'shooters' were broadcasting beans corn and the like into the bare patches in the rape to entice the birds!

It worked but is not exactly legal!

Edited by masmiffy

A couple of Lads on the shoot over from us shot 200 one day this week over ploughed in maize cover crop,our rape fields back onto the field and we have been struggling over rape, the keeper on our permission is going to cut his cover crops in the next few days, so here's hoping for a good day on the pigeons

went out again last thursday got two different fields now the phesant and partridge are over same thing loads of birds two shots all gone then i noticed in the oppersite corner there was a large patch of cover crops and the birds were there and they kept landing in a tree so i set up under the tree stood still when they landed in the tree looked up when they took off i shot them ended up with 46 in 3 hours then it went dead :thumbs: so i counted myself lucky that day :victory:

Nice one mate, might give the cover crops ago myself this saturday, if they haven't been cut I will run em down with truck before I start then decoy on the flat area, 46 in 3hrs is bloody good going and got the old blood pressure up I bet !!

still in my diary my self and the brother in law and three springers cut oiled seed rape august 2008 4hrs 436 shot and picked up average shots 3to1 fantastic afternoon right day right time never done it since still bag the odd 100 they where the good days and i dont think it was slaughter because when we left they where still filtering in andthe next day sa well didnt shoot tho just watched and had a go a few days later not as many but still bagged a 100