Is it normal for shoots to behave like this??

Now i would like to ask your opinions on this situation as ive no idea what the common practice of a shooting syndicate is.

I currently work on a farm, i have done for 5 years now, where a syndicate pays the farmer X ammount per year to run a game shoot, also added onto this ammount is the work carried out by us for there game cover ect ect.

This season i did all their ground prep from ploughing to fertilizing but not the actual drilling (about 5 acres of land), mainly because the farmer was busy and they were worrying about it not being done on time.

In april i got my FAC and the farmer told me i could shoot as often as i liked aslong as i asked him, which was fine but i had a few run-ins with the syndicate people not liking it and so now i have to ask both of them to go out shooting to keep the peace and make sure the saftey aspect is there too which is fine ill massarge ego's to get some shooting in and i certanly dont want any injuries.

The bit that i find very unusual is that neither me not the land owner have been invited on 1 shoot this season. Do we have a rude bunch of :wankerzo4: or are syndicates often like this??

Unfortunaly i cant get the farmer to get rid of them for some reason, porably the money, going to try and get a contract drawn up to point out they dont own the place.

rant over.

Edited by AzMaN

they pay for it mate and don;t have to ask you or the farmer if you want a day out.i am surprised the farmer let you shoot there.they wouldn;t around here thats for sure.so be carefull what you say he may stop you shooting there,because as long as they pay they stay.

I find this topics really interesting because we as a syndicaite spend alot of money to lease shooting rights on some farmland not mention the cost of building relaese pens,buying poults and feeding them ect ect then take into consideration the time and effort that goes into maintaining a game syndicaite !!

Now just before the season started i was there plodding away doing odds and ends just before dark only to hear CRACK ! CRACK ! CRACK ! now needless to say i rushed to the area where the bangs were coming from like a man possesed only to find some twat zeroing his riffle next to our main wood, when i asked him what the hell he was playing at he told me that he was planning to go lamping that night and had to zero his riffle.......

The man in question had permission to shoot fox's on this land and had done for many years so who am i to tell him what to do right ??........WRONG !

how do you think our poults would settle going to roost with the sound of a 243 cracking away next to there pen ???

now i was not rude to the man i mearley explained the situation and asked if he could find somewhere else to zero his riffle....now bearing in mind its getting dark he didnt want to go else where, this led to some tention between us and a meeting had to be called with the farmer but the point i'm trying to make here is if these guys are investing alot of time, effort and money into that shoot then maybe you are the one who is being unreasonable in not consulting them about where and when to shoot?

some food for thought maybe !

in regards tonot being invited to shoot,maybe if you built a better relationship with the syndicaite you would get an invite ??

then again you could be right maybe they are just tossers.

At the end of the day the farmer owes it all so if he says something goes then it should go as without him the toffs with the dosh have to shoot else where......if you give them a inch they will take a mile he needs to take charge before its to late ..

Have you considered that most syndicates are made up of working men from normal backgrounds some of which work damed hard to be in a syndicate toffs with dosh don't need syndicates they have their own land and buy days shooting can't see many of them filling hoppers in their savile row suits

funny that i my self have been shooting a particular farm for about 5 or more years now and there has always been a shoot on the farm the farmer used to let me shoot with in reason depending on when they had a shoot on but i could lamp there when ever the old keeper never once moaned or gave greif as we were helping him out just a phone call sorted things out for the night. now the old keeper has gone and 2 new lads and a few freinds have took it over we used to shoot there still but they said to me they will take over lamping closer to the season start. 5 months before the season started me and my mate wetre out lamping we had already phoned the farmer and the other chaps new me and my mate only went on a thurs night but low and behold we were on a feild and a spot light came on and a 4x4 aproached to our shock as we were watching charley in there direction which could have been a nasty situation should 1 of us took a shot at it. when they got to us we said we was not told you was coming tonight they replyed we felt like a ride out? we said a few words and parted a week or so later it happened agian but this time they said they were tacking over the lamping and when i said not the pigeons during the day aswell they rplyed yep so i went and had a word with the farmer and he told me they have payed alot of money out for the shoot and they want everything to go smoothly fair enough i said what about the weeks inbetween shoots can i pigeon shoot he said yep fine no worries they cant control every pigeon on the land leave ya to it fine i thought till i went to go out pigeon shooting one weekend and they arrived and stopped me and told me that they were doing it from now on. so have left them to it but i was invited to go beating this season and had a cock day out of it so wasnt to bad. asked them about shooting there now season finished and the said now shoot over they are doing pigeons and i still cant lamp there. funny old game shooting imo. atb willum

The bit that i find very unusual is that neither me not the land owner have been invited on 1 shoot this season. Do we have a rude bunch of :wankerzo4: or are syndicates often like this??

Unfortunaly i cant get the farmer to get rid of them for some reason, porably the money, going to try and get a contract drawn up to point out they dont own the place.

rant over.

I approached a local farmer who also owns a shoot i beat on this shoot for 4 seasons, then told the farmer i would do all his dogging in if he wanted me to. He was over the moon.he gets better returns now cause of the time i spend dogging in, and all my pups tht i bring on are all rock steady. its a diy shoot but none of the guns could be bothered to do this. so im flavour of the month, and i get offered 2 days shooting a season which pisses the guns off even more. Its all give and take, mate.

At the end of the day the farmer owes it all so if he says something goes then it should go as without him the toffs with the dosh have to shoot else where......if you give them a inch they will take a mile he needs to take charge before its to late ..

Have you considered that most syndicates are made up of working men from normal backgrounds some of which work damed hard to be in a syndicate toffs with dosh don't need syndicates they have their own land and buy days shooting can't see many of them filling hoppers in their savile row suits

Well said Danw, was going to say the same myself until I got to your post.

Fellas, you REALLY need to get the idea of syndicates as toffs out of your head. Ours and all the others I know are all working men. As danw says "toffs" (and most drug dealers, and theres loads of them, have more dosh than toffs) buy let days etc.

A lot depends on the contract that the syndicate has.

A farmer/occupier has to keep down vermin and pests.

Do you shoot anything other than pests and vermin?

If the syndicate is responsible for keeping vermin and pests controlled and they fall down in their duties, there should be a right for the farmer to appoint someone or do it him/herself.

well they are meant to take care of the vermin but all they seam to care about is the fox's as thats all that will afect them, they leave the rabbits and flying rats which affect the land owner.

I purely shoot vermin, I wont touch the syndicates birds atall.

i see your point that they do pay for the shooting and dont have to invite me or the owner along i thought it would be nice to show their appriciation for the work we have done for them.

anyways im going to hunt for some new land so i can actualy get some shooting thats remotly hassle free.

• 4 weeks later...

well they are meant to take care of the vermin but all they seam to care about is the fox's as thats all that will afect them, they leave the rabbits and flying rats which affect the land owner.

I purely shoot vermin, I wont touch the syndicates birds atall.

i see your point that they do pay for the shooting and dont have to invite me or the owner along i thought it would be nice to show their appriciation for the work we have done for them.

anyways im going to hunt for some new land so i can actualy get some shooting thats remotly hassle free.

it doesnt matter wether they pay a tenner a year or 1 million pound a year there is 1 man who owns the place and what he decides goes and if they dont like it they can take there birds else where mate, just because money is involved doesnt mean they have the say although bigger shoots will have contracts and lease agreements ect for every one to stick by i think lol

A lot depends on the contract that the syndicate has.

A farmer/occupier has to keep down vermin and pests.

Do you shoot anything other than pests and vermin?

If the syndicate is responsible for keeping vermin and pests controlled and they fall down in their duties, there should be a right for the farmer to appoint someone or do it him/herself.

On the land that I rent its me who says who controls pests with firearms, for reasons of disturbance and safety.

As has been said if the syndicate dont like this they can go elsewhere as I have done in the past. If we go into the legal aspects of who can shoot pests then maybe other people have 'rights' but let me find them letting guns off near my release pens (which I work bloody hard to pay for) then I will be having serious words with the farmer/landowner and he can then find someone else to write cheques out to him from then on if he isnt happy.

Sorry if that sounds arsey! And I must add that I would never take it out on someone who had been given permission, I would just arrange a meeting asap and get it discussed with all those concerned so everyone knew where they stood. Is it a big expensive syndicate? Maybe ask about joining or offering to do some keepering in exchange for pigeon shooting, if your already working on the land then you could be very useful as a part time keeper offering a perfect soloution for you them and the farmer.

to write bud couldnt have put it better my self