Gundogs and Lurchers

Hunting them all together is a fun way of bushing but you never get big numbers, they do all find there place/job in the pack and it seems to all work out. The GWP will point if no other dogs about but that is not his main job, he will mainly hit cover with the others and the GWP Lurcher is a master of taking rabbits out of there seats.

The best offective way of catching rabbits is one gundog bushing and a fast lurcher catching, then you can get some canny numbers.

Tess a master of finding pointing and flushing them

010209014.jpg

Paddy the catch dog

Picture33011.jpg

010209017.jpg

Picture33012.jpg

Picture33022.jpg

Picture33021.jpg

Picture33007.jpg

Picture33023.jpg

Like i say having all the dogs out is great but we find this the more effective hunting.

Dave.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dave I am off out with my bitch on thurs, bushing and mooching with 2 lurchers and 3 terriers. You can't beat a good day out mooching and seeing whats about.   I like the look of your lurcher, whats

alright mate,got 2 cockers that i use with lurchurs and for beating and picking up etc.love geing them out together when i can but hunting with lurchers in the day isnt really my game.more into lampin

Hunting them all together is a fun way of bushing but you never get big numbers, they do all find there place/job in the pack and it seems to all work out. The GWP will point if no other dogs about bu

Posted Images

Thanks so much for the explanation Dave!

Does it take a bit of work to get the running dog to stand back and let the bushing dog find and point/flush the rabbit?? As I think a smart dog would figure out that every time the scruffy fellow stands still there's got to be a rabbit under his nose :yes:

Excellent work there....really enjoying your pictures and description of your days sport.

Bigshrimp, he has worked alot with Gundogs and Terriers, so he knows to wait and let them do the hard work in cover, plus he dosnt have much of a coat so he is not a lover of working the cover himself unless he can make a quick grab, what he did learn at an early age is to watch and listen to the other dogs, so he generaly guesses where the bunny will bolt from and he positions himself there.

Do you get much of this type of hunting in Canada.

Dave.

I've never seen a lurcher work and it is not very popular at all over here (CoyoteHunter from this forum does use lurchers here....but he's an import from the UK ;) ).

Most people here use scent hounds (to trail rabbits, raccoon, deer, bear, etc....anything with fur). If it's rabbits you're after you can be sure there will be a beagle in the bush.....or just a bunch of guys kicking the bush if they don't have a dog. Instead of the lurcher we use a shotgun (as I'm sure many of you over there use instead of a lurcher too).

I am very intrigued by this type of hunting and think it would be VERY exciting to participate in. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to lamp so a good portion of the lurchers work would not fall under our law :cry: ....only daytime work.

Also, I don't think (but would need someone to confirm) we have as many rabbits over here. We have a fair share but not to the pest status they are in the UK.

Very generally; if it has fur we will use a scent hound and if it has feathers we will use a pointing dog or a lab. But of course you will find many people not falling within this generalisation.

heres a pic of my two. work them together all the time. but a take my spaniel on beats and shooting and my lurcher does its lamping aswell. my lurcher wouldnt be half the dog it is the now if it wasnt for the spaniel. its flushed many a rabbits out for her. a take the spaniel ferreting aswell as the lurcher isnt realy marking the holes yet. a man asked me the other week there if my spaniel is still steady as a have with the lurcher all the time. ave had the odd time my spaniel has ran in but he was just over excited but he knew he had done wrong. the perfect bushing team is a lurcher and a spaniel. jay thats a lovely pack uve got there. love the look of your wee sprocker

atb poacherman

post-43216-126575841785_thumb.jpg

post-43216-126575845758_thumb.jpg

worked all sorts of dogs with lurchers my ols mate used to work his cocokers with my two lurchers had great sport and all sorts of qaurry great fun early morning ,used to realy enjoybit but we had 3 500 of land to play with and full of rabbits odd hare pre ban and fox and pheasants odd mink stoat great sport probaly some of the best hunting days i had

heres a pic of my two. work them together all the time. but a take my spaniel on beats and shooting and my lurcher does its lamping aswell. my lurcher wouldnt be half the dog it is the now if it wasnt for the spaniel. its flushed many a rabbits out for her. a take the spaniel ferreting aswell as the lurcher isnt realy marking the holes yet. a man asked me the other week there if my spaniel is still steady as a have with the lurcher all the time. ave had the odd time my spaniel has ran in but he was just over excited but he knew he had done wrong. the perfect bushing team is a lurcher and a spaniel. jay thats a lovely pack uve got there. love the look of your wee sprocker

atb poacherman

Two cracking looking dogs their budclapper.gif I have worked a lurcher springer combination for genral mooching about for the last 25 years and can highly recomend it i know lads prefer the terrier lurcher combo but in badger country that can be a real head ache as i once found outicon_redface.gif atvb dell

The member cannot receive any new messages.wallbash.gif

Oh well, Here it is. Edited for general consumption, and interest I hope.

How versatile would a 3/4 grey-1/4 collie be. I know your lurcher ( a fine looking animal) is part saluki. But I thought their abilities might be close enough for discussion. For instance would you be able to expect one to remain quiet in the blind while hunting over decoys in the field? It could be a few hours. Would one learn to mark falling birds. Or are they, more keyed to movement?

Would teaching one to use it's nose with "hot dog trails" and things of that nature be effective?

I'm ready for a pup, and convinced I'd like to try a lurcher. Looking forward to new hunting styles too. But was wondering how well one would fit in with the things I do now.

Any comments welcome.

Sorry Mickey my messemger box was full :icon_redface:

The 3/4 Grey, 1/4 Collie is a very popular cross over here and possibly the most versatile of lurchers, but others have more experience than me, i wont bog down this section with to much lurcher talk so will PM you mate.

Dave.