what shovels the best?

Guest fence_hopper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bulldogs are fair quality but can snap on the joint between the blade/shaft,the best thing to do is cut it purposly on the joint and weld a solid steel bar inside it,it makes it heavier to carry b

• 1 month later...

The bulldogs are fair quality but can snap on the joint between the blade/shaft,the best thing to do is cut it purposly on the joint and weld a solid steel bar inside it,it makes it heavier to carry but the weight makes them a much better tool to dig with.

I broke one and my uncle welded it back up like this,i used it for the best part of 20 years.In the end the blade was so thin it split,probably a good bet to cut the blade down a bit as well.

I cut the blade down on my bulldog round mouth, I took between 2-3" off all round and put an edge on it with an angle grinder for cutting through roots and branches.

I have a general digging shovel too (not sure of the make), I prefer that to my bulldog round mouth ;)

i have 4 spear&jackson roundmouth shovels for sale at the moment,38 euros.we used them last season,top class shovels.ive supplied about 10 to mates and they are more than happy with them.

my current weapon of choice is a garmint its actually a 'spade shovel' not as thick as a spade, more rigid than a shovel, holds an edge, foot plates, fibreglass shaft with plastic D handle and 10 year guarantee on all parts, is really sturdy, slighty smaller than a bull nose, light weight, its really good, looks like a toy but its tough, well why would you give a 10 year guarantee on shit, cost me £28

Guest GoneToGround1

if your good with a welder and can get the right material you can make them to how you like them...wouldn't bother with B&Q shite...infact i wouldn't get a wooden handle shovel anyway but apparently if you get a decent 1 and keep treating the wood dip it in some kind of oil etc then they will last... i use a big bulldog roundmouth and a small bulldog roundmouth.

if your good with a welder and can get the right material you can make them to how you like them...wouldn't bother with B&Q shite...infact i wouldn't get a wooden handle shovel anyway but apparently if you get a decent 1 and keep treating the wood dip it in some kind of oil etc then they will last... i use a big bulldog roundmouth and a small bulldog roundmouth.

:thumbs: GTG1

If you can't weld, there are a few who will pimp you a real terriermans digging tool. My mate advertises in EDRD, he's an expierienced terrierman with over 25 years digging behind him, he will make anything to spec.

He'll source the best matierials (usually Bulldog) at the lowest prices and forge you sommat that'll last. His stuff has gone to some of the best and everyone has been more than pleased. :)

;)