50 replies to this topic

#31 turnerboi

turnerboi

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:09 am

i bought a silver line bull nose spade from b+f and cut the pointed nose with plasama cutter and replaced the wood handle with steel pipe and it digs rairly well

#32 hue jeers

hue jeers

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:54 pm

British Army shovel :big_boss:

Ideal size of head with a decent angle, foot plates on, nice and light , can watch someone dig all day with mine :laugh:

#33 topgun1

topgun1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:27 pm

best shovel is one with a motor on.

#34 stars1

stars1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:53 am

We got the bigger shovels from a local store. Too heavy. The Small Multi-functional Portable Plastic Handle Shovel is my favorite. Very light and useful.

#35 slingshot82

slingshot82

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:20 pm

The bulldogs are fair quality but can snap on the joint between the blade/shaft,the best thing to do is cut it purposly on the joint and weld a solid steel bar inside it,it makes it heavier to carry but the weight makes them a much better tool to dig with.
I broke one and my uncle welded it back up like this,i used it for the best part of 20 years.In the end the blade was so thin it split,probably a good bet to cut the blade down a bit as well.

I cut the blade down on my bulldog round mouth, I took between 2-3" off all round and put an edge on it with an angle grinder for cutting through roots and branches.
I have a general digging shovel too (not sure of the make), I prefer that to my bulldog round mouth ;)

#36 walshy0988

walshy0988

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:25 am

I use an old bulldog shovel its says 1972 and its shit hot. i also use a faithfull graft when im out
Walshy

#37 jigsaw

jigsaw

Extreme Off-Road Goat Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:34 am

i have 4 spear&jackson roundmouth shovels for sale at the moment,38 euros.we used them last season,top class shovels.ive supplied about 10 to mates and they are more than happy with them.

#38 ecostorm

ecostorm

Born Hunter

• Donator
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:06 pm

I've been looking at some bulldog spades in B+Q, the short handle version are only 9 squid and seem very strong.

#39 Guest_AngelicAcid_*

Guest_AngelicAcid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:19 pm

Are the ones from b and q wooden in the middle,
they snap really easy.

#40 irishnut

irishnut

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:59 am

my current weapon of choice is a garmint its actually a 'spade shovel' not as thick as a spade, more rigid than a shovel, holds an edge, foot plates, fibreglass shaft with plastic D handle and 10 year guarantee on all parts, is really sturdy, slighty smaller than a bull nose, light weight, its really good, looks like a toy but its tough, well why would you give a 10 year guarantee on shit, cost me £28

#41 Guest_GoneToGround1_*

Guest_GoneToGround1_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:50 am

if your good with a welder and can get the right material you can make them to how you like them...wouldn't bother with B&Q shite...infact i wouldn't get a wooden handle shovel anyway but apparently if you get a decent 1 and keep treating the wood dip it in some kind of oil etc then they will last... i use a big bulldog roundmouth and a small bulldog roundmouth.

#42 Guest_AngelicAcid_*

Guest_AngelicAcid_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:59 am

any pics of the garment shovel, also the old army ones

#43 Bosun11

Bosun11

Has trouble with the "focus" lamping

• 9,004 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:18 pm

if your good with a welder and can get the right material you can make them to how you like them...wouldn't bother with B&Q shite...infact i wouldn't get a wooden handle shovel anyway but apparently if you get a decent 1 and keep treating the wood dip it in some kind of oil etc then they will last... i use a big bulldog roundmouth and a small bulldog roundmouth.

:thumbs: GTG1

If you can't weld, there are a few who will pimp you a real terriermans digging tool. My mate advertises in EDRD, he's an expierienced terrierman with over 25 years digging behind him, he will make anything to spec.
He'll source the best matierials (usually Bulldog) at the lowest prices and forge you sommat that'll last. His stuff has gone to some of the best and everyone has been more than pleased. :)

;)

#44 chimp

chimp

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:31 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3a59ab2cbb

#45 the monkey

the monkey

Mega Hunter