Sign in to follow this  
Guest fence_hopper

what shovels the best?

The bulldogs are fair quality but can snap on the joint between the blade/shaft,the best thing to do is cut it purposly on the joint and weld a solid steel bar inside it,it makes it heavier to carry but the weight makes them a much better tool to dig with.

I broke one and my uncle welded it back up like this,i used it for the best part of 20 years.In the end the blade was so thin it split,probably a good bet to cut the blade down a bit as well.

• Like 1

get dwn to your nearest army surrples supplys theve got sme good used bulldog shovels in there sme with foot plates on 4 a rnd a tenner an brand new 1s 4 a bit more

don't bother with a bellman and flint shovel they snap off where the shaft joins the blade , i use a cornish shovel or some times better known as a grave diggers shovel , long handle ...no back breaking lol

Guest TERRIERCENTRAL

very good shovels them siverline ones mate you wont go far rong with either them or bulldog ones

don't bother with a bellman and flint shovel they snap off where the shaft joins the blade , i use a cornish shovel or some times better known as a grave diggers shovel , long handle ...no back breaking lol

:thumbs: second that used em for years a bit conspicuous when mooching though :D

the best value spade are the one you nick of the water board good strong light weight never broke one yet

If youve got a "Wickes" store near you they do similar ones to the silver line jobs,think i paid 14 quid for mine,narrow bladed digging shovel,they do the rounded one but its to big,blade needs cutting down a bit imo,personally for terrier work i would round off the small one ive got,unfortunatly i only dig footings with it these days,but its a good strong tool for the money,bit heavier than a bulldog no need to put a steel shaft in it.

depends what stage of the dig ya at,but any full metal grafta shud do aspesially those from the water board!!!then any type of full metal shuval for clearing shit out of dig,hope this helps ifnot feckin ignore mi....