Getting started

Hi all, hope you can give me some guidance :notworthy:

Thinking about getting into deer stalking / shooting, My ticket comes up for renewal soon and i am applying for a 243 cal for this reason. I have about 4 farms that hold Roe and Munty, and i have already had the nod from the landowners that it would be ok to shoot.. Any way rifle and ammunition aside, is there anything else i should do, ie--- courses,---- mentoring,---- quarry identification or is there any other legal requirement :icon_eek: as i say this may not happen until middle of the year, but i would like as much info as possible---- any help would be appreciated.

LD

Hi LD, I'm sure you'll get a range of advice.

What worked for me 18 months ago was get get it in writing from the farmers that they are happy for you to shoot deer on their land, have shooting lessons with a .243 (I had three) and then either sign up for DSC1 or get a mentor who the police will accept. I applied for my FAC and initially had a licence tthat allowed me to shoot accompanied. Within 2 months my mentor wrote to the police and said I was competent to shoot unaccompanied and I got the new FAC within days.

I'm now thinking of doing DSC 1 and 2 so I can get on to the Woodland Trust accredited hunter list for my areas, and so not have to pay for stalking.

Good luck

K