It has been over 10 years since I've prepared chicken (and iguanas for that matter) for cooking. I need to refresh my knowledge in case I obtain a duck...

I remember cutting the head of and making a long slit down the throat to pull the innards out with the fingers, also making a slit near the "anus" and cut the last piece of bowel out followed by holding the chicken in a pan with real hot water and then pluck the feathers and get the small stumps off with the gas flame.

I can probably do the same with a duck...or is there a better method? Was the order of things correct, first clean and then pluck or was it pluck and then clean?

L.

Edited by Lennard

heres how i do it

snap the legs off at the knuckle

cut the wings, tail and head off

make a slit round whats left of the head and round the bum

make a slit down the chest to join the last ones up

peel the skin off being careful of the inards

pull the guts out

clean the whole thing in warm water

will.

• 4 weeks later...

you need the skin on a duck , to pluck a duck you just need to take the bird into the shed hang it up by the feet and start plucking then once you have done that you then gut ! cut a hole round its ring peace and pull out the innards , then shringe of the wee bits of stuble with a blo torch or a lit roled up news paper , wash and then roast :thumbs-up:

Edited by carra
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jane Russell

For a really crispy skin pierce all over with a fork and pour two kettles of boiling water over. Dry and preferably leave in a draught over night! Roast as normal. Works well on pork too if you like crackling that crackles!

Jane