primary function

WHAT came first the chicken or the egg .OK now we have two camps one thinks a gundog has to find live quarry within killing distance and the others go for it finding wounded or dead quarry.So in my way of thinking if your dog is good enough to find live quarry that is evading detection then if the dog has basic retrieving skills it should be a secoundery task to bring back the quarry.As i have said before working the dog to hunt out game to me is more exciting than the retrieve but if retrieving is your thing then a picking up dog is what you should have or not a gundog at all but maybe a lurcher :whistling: only jokeing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think there is a right and wrong answer...

if you are mainly shooting from a peg or hide, you wouldnt want a dog running round flushing game... instead you would want a dog to sit patiently and retrieve wounded or dead birds as reqiuired.

If you are beating or walking up game, you will need a dog to find and flush etc etc

I expect all of the above from my spaniels, and more!!! My spaniels are first brought up as gundogs, and then branch out into other areas of fieldsports. I take them ratting, :icon_eek: and this doesnt make them hard mouthed when retrieving game. I also take them stalking to track any deer that need locating in thick cover, and out with the terriers.

Im not the most diciplined trainer at all, and im never one to have robotic, perfectly trained gundogs, but I enjoy my dogs, and they enjoy their work, and do a good job for me, thats what counts for me.

BruiseandG.jpg

i thought this would devolop into a helpfull topic for me and sure enough it has, spaniels ratting, brilliant !! so my next question is could i use a spaniel as a marking dog whilst ferreting aswell as a beating/roughshooting/retrieving dog ? cheers plum !

i thought this would devolop into a helpfull topic for me and sure enough it has, spaniels ratting, brilliant !! so my next question is could i use a spaniel as a marking dog whilst ferreting aswell as a beating/roughshooting/retrieving dog ? cheers plum !

Yes you can,my spaniel marks for me when im ferreting.